Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 04-25-2007, 08:43 PM   #11
Kim Dowse

So....my first post here and it's about crap. I've been lurking around here for a while. I recently found out that I am allergic to gluten, so have gone pretty much organic/paleo. Been doing the 15/9 IF for 3 weeks (this Saturday). When I was eating grains and dairy I always had GI/bowel issues. I was never ever regular and lots of gas, etc (yeah, the hubby loved that one)For the past two weeks I've had 1-2 BMs (per the Paul Chek quote) a day (yippee). There was a bit of an adjustment period. Also, not certain I'll be able to ever get on the Sheryl Crow plan.
Kim Dowse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 03:31 AM   #12
Allen Yeh

I've been doing the ~15 hour fasts since January for the most part and I've definitely noticed a slowdown in the total number of BM's over the period of a week, even per day.

Before IF I was eating the whole 6 meals a day and back then I'd be going maybe 2-4 times per day. There were times when I'd think "this can't be normal to go this much!" I also used to be pretty gassy.

Now that I have been IF'ing for a while I typically go once per day mabye twice if my food choices from the day before weren't awesome. The gas comes back if I have a splurge meals but goes away as soon as I get back on track.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 04:48 AM   #13
Steve Liberati

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Smith View Post
Optimally, one should have a BM for every meal.
True as infants practice what is to be normal BM (several times a day) as their digestive tracts are pristine in function and housed by loads of friendly bacteria promoted by their mother's milk.

Didn't really stop and think about this one until reading this thread. Now I'm a bit concerned while curious at the same time. Hoping someone can offer an explanation linking the two: constipation and fasting. In the meantime, I'm gonna look into this a little further. Unfortunately not much research or studies to look up on IF, at least not at this point
100,000 generations of humans have been hunters and gatherers; 500 generations have been agriculturalists; ten have lived in the industrial age; and only one has been exposed to the world of computers.

Steve's Club
Crossfit Tribe
Steve Liberati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 05:26 AM   #14
Derek Simonds

So i am in the bathroom yesterday and I loo over and there is onmly 1 square left on the roll. All I could think was damn you Sheryl Crow, you and your evil plan.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 05:39 AM   #15
Garrett Smith

I'm really thinking that the lack of sleep and the increased stress over both the practice transition/takeover and starting the new gym are what created my issues--IF just started around the same time. Glad we were able to start this discussion though, I think it will be valuable for a lot of people.

If anybody should get a seat on the spaceship, it's freaking Paul Chek. Josh Henkin has some funny stories about him...he's gone a bit overboard.

Screw TP, I use wet wipes. Once you go that route, you don't ever go back...
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 09:00 AM   #16
Chuck Kechter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Smith View Post
Screw TP, I use wet wipes. Once you go that route, you don't ever go back...
Agreed.

I am "randomly" IFing 12-20hrs at a time, several times a week since January, but haven't noticed much in the way of slowing down BMs. Cleaner for sure though...

"Who cares if your "deadly art" was originally practiced in a temple in some obscure corner of Bangladesh if an ill-tempered girl scout with 6 months of boxing can knock the hell out of its practitioners?" --Mike Driscoll
Chuck Kechter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 09:59 AM   #17
Ethan Pack

I just started on September 10, 2007. I'm doing Dr. Eades 24 on/24 off method with feedings starting and ending at 6:30 PM.

On Monday, September 10 - Everything was normal. I'm eating when I'm hungry during the 24 hours (really only around 12 hours, mainly between 6:00 AM and 6:30 PM) and my bowel movements were pretty solid - I take in a good amount of fiber when eating every 2.5 - 3 hours.

On Tuesday, September 11 - I was in fast until 6:30 PM. Only had two BMs and the quantity was very little, but still solid.

Today, September 12 - I've been on the toilet 4 times between 7:00 AM and 12:00 PM. It's quite watery and more like diarrhea. I don't know if it's my body adjusting or cleaning out sludge, but I truly hope it does not show up on September 14, my next feed day.

Has anyone else experienced this?

My diet is pretty balanced and traditional, although I may go Paleo at some point. Over the last few days, I've been eating grilled chicken, Caesar salads, some beef jerky, I had a slice of cheesecake PWO last night, a glass of Pinot Noir, about three turkey and cheese sandwiches, natural peanut butter, eggs, skim milk. I did have a bowl of Fiber One in skim milk, a banana, and a whey protein & skim milk drink this morning - so maybe that contributed in this experience.

Also, I think I'm going to start a journal thread or something. I'm currently 285 and around 30-35% body fat. Otherwise, so far, so good. Depending on how my workouts feel and my hunger goes on the 24/24 system, I might switch to the 16/8 or Fast 5 type approach centered around my my training schedule.

Great forum folks!
Ethan Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 10:07 AM   #18
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Pack View Post
I've been on the toilet 4 times between 7:00 AM and 12:00 PM. It's quite watery and more like diarrhea. I don't know if it's my body adjusting or cleaning out sludge, but I truly hope it does not show up on September 14, my next feed day.
Bingo...as diarrhea is your body taking water out of your body to flush out bacteria or other toxins it doesn't want!! Great thing the body.....thank god it's way smarter than us otherwise humans would of stopped living long ago! Ha. That's a good sign....as you lose fat too....the toxin storage from the fat cells will increase....again good sign....drink lots and lots of water....keep the system flushing out the crap. It will level off at some point unless you go back on a bad diet....and then it reminds you "Hey...Ummm don't ever put this crap in me again....this is your last warning....".
Old 09-12-2007, 10:33 AM   #19
Ethan Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike ODonnell View Post
Bingo...as diarrhea is your body taking water out of your body to flush out bacteria or other toxins it doesn't want!! Great thing the body.....thank god it's way smarter than us otherwise humans would of stopped living long ago! Ha. That's a good sign....as you lose fat too....the toxin storage from the fat cells will increase....again good sign....drink lots and lots of water....keep the system flushing out the crap. It will level off at some point unless you go back on a bad diet....and then it reminds you "Hey...Ummm don't ever put this crap in me again....this is your last warning....".
Thanks Mike! Excellent; as I noted before, I'm a heavy guy (for the time being at least,) but over the past couple of years, I've made significant strides in improving my health, strength, and body composition. I slipped a bit due to various factors in the last 6-8 months, and discovering IF when deciding to recommit and put the pedal to the metal seems like it will offer a good physical, mental, and spiritual aspect as well as being a lifestyle change that seems most easily applicable to my life and desires (as I can't cook or otherwise adequately prepare 6-7 meals a day for the rest of my life!)

I felt that today's "flushing" seemed to be a detox, so I'm going to keep up what I've done and gradually shift into a more "pure" Paleo mode of steak, chicken, eggs, milk, salads, almonds, other veggies and fruits. I'm just surprised at how I had bulky stool just yesterday and day before and now coming off my first eat/fast cycle, I've been leaking!

Again, many thanks for your quick and helpful response!
Ethan Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 12:08 PM   #20
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Pack View Post
I felt that today's "flushing" seemed to be a detox, so I'm going to keep up what I've done and gradually shift into a more "pure" Paleo mode of steak, chicken, eggs, milk, salads, almonds, other veggies and fruits. I'm just surprised at how I had bulky stool just yesterday and day before and now coming off my first eat/fast cycle, I've been leaking!
Well at least you are leaking less than everyone on Alli.....Ha.

Fasting is a healing process...which involves getting the crap out of the body...so you definitely see it more once you start....leak away my friend...leak away! Let us know how it goes.