Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 05-07-2008, 08:00 AM   #31
Mike ODonnell

Isn't benefiber mostly psyllium which is soluble fiber?? (aka sucks up water and can cause constipation?) If any fiber supplement I would say just use ground flaxseeds that are mostly insoluble. If Kyrstals made a flaxssed burger coffee combo meal...that would do it too
Old 05-07-2008, 09:25 AM   #32
Stanley Daniel

Wheat Dextrin is the main ingredient in Benefiber - but yeah, they work the same way... you're right about the absorbing water functions... the benefit being that a little would help in creating peristalsis (bowel contractions) and softens up any compacted stool matter - it helps in diarrhea too where it will help form more solid-like waste, by removing the excess water in watery, non-bloody diarrhea...

taken from benefiber's site :
Wheat Dextrin is a natural soluble fiber. Wheat Dextrin is considered "Gluten-Free" which means it contains only a trace amount of gluten ( i.e., less than 10 ppm gluten).

That magnesium citrate is still kicking in a little bit- I had to come home hehe... anyways good review because I have an exam related to all this stuff next week! We actually have a few constipation and diarrhea cases for pediatrics/adults... it's for a medical licensing exam where we get 12 standardized patients - presenting with common complaints like - chest pain, shortness of breath, bowel/urinary issues.... we have do a history/ focused physical and counsel them all in 15 mins and write a patient note in 10 minutes...
Stanley Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 12:32 PM   #33
Scott Kustes

Mike, that sounds absolutely horrible at any time other than after about 15 beers.

Fitness Spotlight
Scott Kustes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 01:24 PM   #34
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Kustes View Post
Mike, that sounds absolutely horrible at any time other than after about 15 beers.
Pretty sure that is the only time I have ever been to Krystals! (they are open 24/7)
Old 05-08-2008, 08:06 AM   #35
Scott Kustes

Yeah, it's White Castle here. I can't recall the last time I was there. I've always wondered what it is about those little burgers that makes them so...potent.

Fitness Spotlight
Scott Kustes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 08:51 AM   #36
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Kustes View Post
Yeah, it's White Castle here. I can't recall the last time I was there. I've always wondered what it is about those little burgers that makes them so...potent.
I usually "don't recall" being there....it's just the aftermath of the empty wrappers in the morning that give it away....