Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > Paleo Diet

Old 04-26-2007, 09:01 PM   #1
Kim Dowse

Default Stupid question...gelatin

I'm a bit new to the paleo eating. This may be really dumb question...is gelatin paleo?
Kim Dowse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 05:23 AM   #2
Steve Liberati

According to Wiki, "gelatin is a protein produced by partial hydrolysis of collagen extracted from connective tissues of animals such as the domesticated bovines, porcines and equines."

So, I would say no. The words "produced" and paleo usually don't belong together in a sentence.
100,000 generations of humans have been hunters and gatherers; 500 generations have been agriculturalists; ten have lived in the industrial age; and only one has been exposed to the world of computers.

Steve's Club
Crossfit Tribe
Steve Liberati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 07:01 AM   #3
Garrett Smith

What are you planning on using the gelatin for?

It is derived from an animal, so arguments could be made either way. My raw apple cider vinegar, EV olive oil, garlic, and ginger salad dressing isn't technically paleo (even though it is derived from paleo-friendly sources, fruit & spices), but I doubt you'll find many people telling me I "shouldn't" have it.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 04:30 PM   #4
Kim Dowse

[QUOTE=Garrett Smith;10192]What are you planning on using the gelatin for?

My daily food choices can get a bit boring and monotonous. I rarely do a lot of sweets, but thought I could use the gelatin and experiment with paleo-type desserts. Sugar can throw me into an eating frenzy (not good....previous ED), so I try to stay away from desserts.

Also, I've been IF'ing for the past three weeks. Interestingly enough, I had two glasses of red wine last Friday. When I woke up on Saturday morning...I was starving. This was the only time over the past few weeks that the huger was overwhelming. Not certain if it was the wine or possibly I did not get in enough calories during the previous few days.
Kim Dowse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 06:18 PM   #5
Robert Allison

There is also some research (like here) that shows that gelatin can support joint health.

I have used it relatively consistently for several years as part of a joint health regime; the results have been postive. But I have also been taking other things along with the gelatin.

From what I understand, HGs wasted little, if any, of their kills--I guess it's possible they ate the connective tissue. But, as Steve noted, the processing of modern gelatin could hardly be considered paleo. But, IIRC, even some of the stuff Cordain recommends in The Paleo Diet wouldn't really line up with a strict definition of "paleo"

For me, its about trying to embrace that nutritional profile in the context of today's world.
Robert Allison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 06:48 PM   #6
Garrett Smith

I completely agree with Robert.

Hey, if you can come up with some good desserts that fit within the looser Paleo guidelines, send them to the PMenu or post them here!
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 01:13 PM   #7
joe murphy

I do not have a sensitive stomach or disposition. I have gutted deer and boar, butchered chickens, etc. and it doesn't bother me.

i was working on a construction crew at a gelatin factory when they brought a load of offal in to render it into jello. it was 20 years ago, and I still gag at the thought. I can't even be in the same room as jello.

please, don't eat it.
joe murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 02:31 PM   #8
Bobby Spencer

There is a nutrition log here in that is described as a "paleo-type" of food diet. And "paleo-type" is how I like to refer to my eating pattern. By this I mean, that for the most part, I am eating paleo--plenty of baked/roasted chicken, lean beef, and fatty fish, veggies, and fruits, no grains or legumes, or dairy. My ratios, however, are somewhere between the base zone and the athletes zone. Anyone who has tried knows that is is very hard to get the zone required amount of carbs the base zone allows without permitting a few non-paleo carbs and even harder still if you have to eat on the go alot. You would have to carry grocery bags to work every day of you just used low glycemic veggies as your only carb source. With that said, I use a good amount of raisins,carrots, and bananas, etc. in my zone friendly meals that I pack so I get my ratios right. I also eat a few zone bars. So I guess I am 80-90% paleo or "paleo type". If you were closer to the athletes zone where you're adding the fat blocks, the volume of food is probably not as much.

What's this have to do with adding gelatin? Sometimes I think you have to go outside of the strict paleo parameters (the friendly confines). I say, have your gelatin or jello. Just be sure that most of the time you are paleo. I mean, if you go to KFC and get the bucket with all the fixin's, you know you are not eatin paleo.
Know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's. 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

I beseech you therefore,brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. Romans 12:1
Bobby Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 10:47 PM   #9
Don Stevenson

believe it or not, here is a high protein jelly recipe i prepared earlier.

http://www.octogen.com.au/Issue7.htm

Well actually i stole it from Fiona Muxlow from CF North Queensland but she promised not to choke me out anyway.

We do this same sort of recipe now with fresh fruit and it is actually a lot better than canned fruit.

I make a batch of these every week and have them as snacks, I think i figured them out at about 10-12 g of protein and 15-20g carbs each.

And yes i realise that diet cordial is unlikely to be considered paleo
Don Stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 09:20 AM   #10
Robb Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Stevenson View Post
believe it or not, here is a high protein jelly recipe i prepared earlier.

http://www.octogen.com.au/Issue7.htm

Well actually i stole it from Fiona Muxlow from CF North Queensland but she promised not to choke me out anyway.

We do this same sort of recipe now with fresh fruit and it is actually a lot better than canned fruit.

I make a batch of these every week and have them as snacks, I think i figured them out at about 10-12 g of protein and 15-20g carbs each.

And yes i realise that diet cordial is unlikely to be considered paleo
Don-
If you add a shot of Stoli or Grey Goose to that we will overlook the paleo element.

Robb's Blog
Robb Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote