Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Community > Community & Events

Old 04-28-2007, 08:30 PM   #1
Steve Shafley

Default The WOD vid music...revisited

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/3499/40693.html

I like this quote from Tyler:

Quote:
Now here is some irony for you guys...
Tony Budding edits the videos for CrossFit. About four years ago, before Tony even knew the Glassmans, he ordered a copy of the CrossFit DVD. The original soundtrack to that DVD had some NSFW language in it. Tony sent a complaint to the Glassmans about how he thought the music was a bit inappropriate and that he almost showed it in his classroom. So, the Glassmans changed the soundtrack and sent Tony another copy.
Four years later, Tony is the guy creating the videos, and he is loading them up with foul language.
It's pretty funny. True story, btw.

Tyler
And Tony replying that he'd lose respect from his homies if he bowed down to the man!

Quote:
Tyler's story is only partially true, actually. I was very surprised when I first joined the CF community to hear such explicit lyrics on songs. I had never been exposed to a business that had been willing to so blatantly disregard political correctness and not cower to the lowest common denominator. Like many of the complainers, I said, "You just can't do that." I have always liked strong music personally; I just didn't think you could have a business that would risk offending sensitive ears. But they (now we) could, can, and do. I never asked for nor received a new copy of the DVD with different music. Instead, I loosened up and allowed my public stance to match my private choices. The music didn't bother me, so why should I stop my students from listening to it (because they were all listening to it on their own).

I think that every single video I've ever made has received at least one compliment and one complaint about the music. I quickly came to the conclusion that it is literally impossible to find music that everyone agrees on. So, I consciously look for a very wide variety of music to use (all from iTunes if you ever want to buy a copy for yourself). I choose music that I like, that I think fits the video, and that I think will motivate folks. I also visit as many affiliates as I can (and I travel quite a bit). I'll just say that the music on the videos is not inconsistent with the music they play in their gyms.

Why not just pick clean lyrics so we don't offend anyone? Well, I think we'd risk losing more of our core crowd than we do now because of the loss of respect for us cowering to political correctness. People swear, people talk about and have sex. People have volume controls, mute and stop buttons. People have very different tastes in music. No one is forced to watch the videos or keep the volume up if they do. No one is paying for the videos or for viewing any part of the site. Affiliates can tell clients to be careful when they watch the videos because some of the lyrics are explicit. It's really simple, at least for me.
Fascinating! Pierre chimes in, but he's a filthy Ottawan, so his opinions don't matter.

I think it's a bit schizophrenic in contrast with the direction the forum has gone.

Personally, I love music about "fithy hoes" and "bitch better have my money!"
Steve Shafley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 08:38 PM   #2
-Ross Hunt

I'm certainly not offended, but I think that there's a difference between cowering before political correctness and just being moderate in speech. Should sexually expicit lyrics be your source of motivation in a workout? Violent lyrics--that I can understand, because weightlifting is violent movement?

I would play "Hey Ya" during a workout that wasn't too serous because it's a hilarious song. But I wouldn't broadcast it on the internet. Hypocrisy, or moderation.

Just to be clear, I think that with regard to this particular example, what I'm saying is just hair-splitting. The internet is not exactly the kind of environment in which you have to worry about moral corruption.
-Ross Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 05:45 PM   #3
Eva Claire Synkowski

im a little surprised there was as much of a response as there was. i mean, as a female in the video - im not offended at all. as i said on the blog, the choice of music was discussed before the vid was posted. i think i said something along the lines of "use whatever music you want". if the video was of anything suggestive in nature, then perhaps - but we're doing cleans and pullups. do i support every lyric verbatim? no. but to me, the message was, 'hey - here are some strong chicks and we think thats cool'. maybe im missing something?

contrary to what steve said - pierre did say it well, paraphasing here - its interesting that the music that people have on in their homes and gyms cannot be on a public forum.

there is a point with the WFS rule on the message board. i guess xf has to decide if all forms of their media are WFS or if they apply the WFS/NWFS label to everything.
Eva Claire Synkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 07:31 PM   #4
Derek Simonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eva Claire Synkowski View Post
there is a point with the WFS rule on the message board. i guess xf has to decide if all forms of their media are WFS or if they apply the WFS/NWFS label to everything.
Eva I agree, that was the overall point I was making in my post the last time we discussed this. I don't listen to WFS music all the time in any genre (rap, rock or country) and I don't have a problem with it when it is my choice. I have always enjoyed the music choices and usually know the music, I just make sure that if I don't recognize the song or if I know it isn't kid friendly to turn the music down when watching with my children.

I didn't realize how large a response there was last time. I thought Walshy was just being Walshy and trashing on xFit til I went and read the comments from that day.

Although the Britney music in the next video was pretty funny I didn't expect xFit to change. I think that Tony made an excellent point, nobody is paying for those videos or the site.

I really think the problem is solved if they just notate WFS lyrics on the videos the same way you have to do on links in the forum.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 08:18 PM   #5
Joe Hart

We will see. I posted the link to the WOD video in question and didn't mark it as anything. I am waiting for the MODs to spank me.

Lynne spanked me so I guess the video is considered nonWFS.
Joe Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 08:50 PM   #6
Steve Shafley

Damnation seize my soul if I give any quarters, or take any from you!
Old 04-29-2007, 09:24 PM   #7
Steve Shafley

Read some more of that thread, and would like to comment upon a certain moderator and her statements made there-in:

I'd like to point out that my entire ISP is banned from the Crossfit forums for taking Dan John's side in matters. Not just my User ID, but my entire Internet Service Provider was banned. I have never attempted to register another ID on the Crossfit forum.

It doesn't matter that I made hundreds of valid, content-driven posts on the Crossfit forums and had been a part of that community since 2002.

It doesn't matter that I was repeatedly attacked by certain other members of the forum (on the forum) while attempting to discuss matters, yet they weren't banned or even warned.

So, as far as following the rules, the rules seem to apply unequally to those forum users dependent upon their role in the entire organization and whether or not they choose to voice some dissent.
Old 04-29-2007, 09:34 PM   #8
Joe Hart

I got spanked but not for the reason I thought.

Robb-

What is the PM's view of such matters? If we post a video of similar nature should we comment on its non WFS?
Joe Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 09:37 PM   #9
Steve Shafley

Enough of me being a bawl baby, though.

Damn, I suck at the intrawebs.
Old 04-29-2007, 09:40 PM   #10
Gary John

Moynihan just gave them a little poke and that thread will go into the hundreds. Funny how easy it is to get them to overeact.

Budding seems to want it both ways. Nothing new.
Gary John is offline   Reply With Quote