Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 04-30-2007, 06:29 PM   #1
Pierre Auge

Default Garrett sinuses and the end of the world!

Garrett doc dude do I actually need sinuses for anything serious because I'm currently of the opinion that my life would be 100% better if I didn't have them at all..

They are inflammed 365 days per year and right now my allergies are worse then they've ever been in my life I feel like a head case.

Tell me having my sinuses surgically removed is a viable option! I'm not actually serious...

But any thoughts?

To give real service you must add something which cannot be bought or measured with money, and that is sincerity and integrity. - Douglas Adams
Pierre Auge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 06:48 PM   #2
Steve Shafley

Have you gone to an ENT lately? Preferably a progressive one. I know that might be an issue in Canada with the socialized medicine.

If they are that bad, then I would think that either there's something in your home or something in your workplace that's setting them off.

Are you originally from Ottawa? If not, perhaps its a gross reaction to the new pollen compared to your old home.
Steve Shafley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 07:15 AM   #3
Garrett Smith

Pierre,
With your history of building all sorts of things, along with your military work, and any other exposures known or unknown (amalgam fillings?), I'd first start with two things:

Toxic metal testing (I do this through my office, I can send them out as well).

Gluten sensitivity testing (which can be connected to heavy metal toxicity), which can be done on your own through www.enterolab.com (get the Stool Test for Gluten Sensitivity).

That's where I'd look first. Let me know if you need further help.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 09:11 AM   #4
Pierre Auge

OK lets assume I'm gluten sensitive I'm perfectly fine with that proposition!

Now the Toxic Metal testing is where I'm at a loss - I guess I will have to find a local lab that will test me for it....

I had never had allergies until I was posted to the prairies several years ago... Within 6 months of being there I was prescribed anti-inflamatories and told to suck it up. I've had it ever since...

I've done all sorts of work from high end communications to industrial mechanics (millwrighting) mil. , I've worked in printing houses and various other deals... I've been exposed to everything!

Lots of which I really regret being exposed too...

Dudes going to a lab for testing is out of the question that would mean having money, thats not exactly where I'm at these days!

To give real service you must add something which cannot be bought or measured with money, and that is sincerity and integrity. - Douglas Adams
Old 05-01-2007, 09:36 AM   #5
Pierre Auge

Garret,
how about this - lets assume I'm allergic to every known allergen on the planet: What am I consuming?

Make this easy on me --- Trust me dude I'll eat beef livers exclusively if thats what you tell me!

Old 05-01-2007, 12:44 PM   #6
Garrett Smith

Pierre,
PM me if you want to do any of these labs. If you can get in to see an ND on the health plan, they'd likely do the heavy metal test for you if you emphasize your past exposures (jobs).

First things first, and almost free, is to go absolutely gluten-free. No f-ing around. No cheating. And none of the "gluten-free" grains either (no rice, quinoa, etc.). No more than one piece of fruit a day.

IF would be a good suggestion for you now. If you were to do the 24-hour feed/fast cycle like I'm doing (feed all weekend), you'll have three days a week where your GI system is guaranteed no gluten or other irritants and it gets time to recover (along with improving your detoxification).

That's where I'd start.

Got any vitamin C?
Old 05-01-2007, 01:10 PM   #7
Pierre Auge

I can do the fasting no issues - wow surprised by the fruit thing but thats too easy... I hate grain in general but they do still tend to sneak in on a regular basis.. Ok this is going to take some planning it appears.

Need to read up on gluten containing foods so I can make sure I'm concise...

Old 05-01-2007, 01:44 PM   #8
Garrett Smith

Definitely do that. It will be a PIA, and it will be worth it!

Really be strict!
Old 05-02-2007, 03:40 PM   #9
Pierre Auge

actually PIA is feeling like shit all the time... But I'll tell you this I always feel great during a fasting period. Been fasting all day and I feel good. I woke up all inflammed and pissed off but I've been good to go since about 08:00am... Did some light lifting this afternoon and like always fasting is a no brainer.

Actually it shouldn't be so bad I can basically exist off of eggs, chicken, beef olive oil, coconut milk and green veggies ala costco... thank goodness for being fat adapted!

Old 05-02-2007, 05:15 PM   #10
Garrett Smith

Pierre,
The sign that you feel better while fasting is a dead giveaway that you are eating something your body is intolerant to. Black box simple.