Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Community > Community & Events

Old 05-01-2007, 01:48 PM   #1
kevin mckay

Default Am I full of shit?

In the spirit of peer review please let me know if anybody finds this inaccurate. My main goal in my site is to try and give honest simple information so please let me know if this looks wrong or over reaching. Robb and Greg just tell me to STFU if this beyond the scope of this board.

http://simplefit.org/why.html

Thanks
Old 05-01-2007, 02:17 PM   #2
Robb Wolf

Kevin-
You may indeed be full of shit but your site kicks ass! Keep it up!

Robb's Blog
Robb Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 02:42 PM   #3
Garrett Smith

Kevin,
Other than some typographical errors, it looks pretty good!
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 02:43 PM   #4
Greg Everett
Administrator

word up.

my only caution would be likening any response to that of steroids. those in the know may not be concerned, but a lot of women reading that will probably be off-put by visions of bodybuilders.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 05:10 PM   #5
kevin mckay

Thanks for all the positive feedback, when I am Opera they will not be able to stop me from talking about the PM.

Cheers
Old 05-01-2007, 06:41 PM   #6
Mike ODonnell

Robb vs Kevin....first to make it big...who will it be.....
Old 05-01-2007, 07:05 PM   #7
Robert Allison

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin mckay View Post
... when I am Opera they will not be able to stop me from talking about the PM. Cheers
Would that be

Sorry--couldn't resist that one

Nice work on the site... keep it up!

Last edited by Robert Allison; 05-02-2007 at 05:59 AM. Reason: Problem w/ Photo
Robert Allison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 07:05 PM   #8
Robb Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike ODonnell View Post
Robb vs Kevin....first to make it big...who will it be.....
If you are talking a bowel movement...I just won.

Robb's Blog
Robb Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 07:57 PM   #9
Steve Shafley

Heh.

I've got to say that I still think the neuroendocrine thing is a stretch, but it's not bad at all. I like the workouts, and will probably start using some as metcon in the near future.
Steve Shafley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 08:22 PM   #10
kevin mckay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Shafley View Post
Heh.

I've got to say that I still think the neuroendocrine thing is a stretch, but it's not bad at all. I like the workouts, and will probably start using some as metcon in the near future.
Really? I have been going back and fourth on this and really do not want to misrepresent.

Here is the stuff from Kraemer

"Protocols high in volume, moderate to high in intensity, using short rest intervals and stressing a large muscle mass, tend to produce the greatest acute hormonal elevations"

Hormonal Responses and Adaptations to Resistance Exercise and Training.

Review Article
Sports Medicine. 35(4):339-361, 2005.
Kraemer, William J 1 2; Ratamess, Nicholas A 3

Abstract:
Resistance exercise has been shown to elicit a significant acute hormonal response. It appears that this acute response is more critical to tissue growth and remodelling than chronic changes in resting hormonal concentrations, as many studies have not shown a significant change during resistance training despite increases in muscle strength and hypertrophy. Anabolic hormones such as testosterone and the superfamily of growth hormones (GH) have been shown to be elevated during 15-30 minutes of post-resistance exercise providing an adequate stimulus is present. Protocols high in volume, moderate to high in intensity, using short rest intervals and stressing a large muscle mass, tend to produce the greatest acute hormonal elevations (e.g. testosterone, GH and the catabolic hormone cortisol) compared with low-volume, high-intensity protocols using long rest intervals. Other anabolic hormones such as insulin and insulin-like growth factor-1 (IGF-1) are critical to skeletal muscle growth. Insulin is regulated by blood glucose and amino acid levels. However, circulating IGF-1 elevations have been reported following resistance exercise presumably in response to GH-stimulated hepatic secretion. Recent evidence indicates that muscle isoforms of IGF-1 may play a substantial role in tissue remodelling via up-regulation by mechanical signalling (i.e. increased gene expression resulting from stretch and tension to the muscle cytoskeleton leading to greater protein synthesis rates). Acute elevations in catecholamines are critical to optimal force production and energy liberation during resistance exercise. More recent research has shown the importance of acute hormonal elevations and mechanical stimuli for subsequent up- and down-regulation of cytoplasmic steroid receptors needed to mediate the hormonal effects. Other factors such as nutrition, overtraining, detraining and circadian patterns of hormone secretion are critical to examining the hormonal responses and adaptations to resistance training.