Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 05-16-2007, 06:41 AM   #1
Allen Yeh

Default 10 Tips To A Better Deadlift

http://beyondstrong.typepad.com/my_w...s_to_a_be.html

I'd be curious what Steve, Greg along with other PL'ers think of the article?
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 06:53 AM   #2
Mike ODonnell

Tip 11....do it at LA fitness and you will only need 135 on the bar to look strong....
Old 05-16-2007, 07:21 AM   #3
Steve Shafley

Rick Walker is not a bad deadlifter. My comments in italics

A synopsis:

1. Do the deadlift
Kind of obvious, but this is a direct backlash against the whole WSB "don't deadlift" adage.
2. Hone technique
Once again, an obvious point. There really isn't all that much technique to the deadlift, though, even sumo.
3. Include speed work
This might or might not be important. For example, an olympic lifter WOULDN'T need to train his deadlift 'speed'. And, honestly, I've seen Rick's vids of his heavier deadlifts and they are NOT as fast as a deadlift with 135#...artistic license.
4. Train the muscles that help the deadlift
Nothing startling here. You cannot improve a weakness by doing the same thing over and over.
5. Use the rack properly
Quite possibly the most important bit in these five points. Using the rack properly is very important. The point right below the knee caps is often the hardest point.
Steve Shafley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 04:44 AM   #4
Steve Shafley

Second part:

http://beyondstrong.typepad.com/my_w...to_a_be_1.html

6. Do DLs from a deficit
-Once you stall out, it's essential to perform extended ROM DLs. This can be snatch grip DLs if you strap in and pull them heavy enough.
7. Your DL suit MUST be TIGHT
-I don't use a suit. You probably don't either, so this is merely an interesting footnote.
8. Strengthen the hips
-A necessity, but how do you go about it?
Quote:
Get your hips up via handle squats, very wide sumos, box squats with a wide stance, pull throughs, kettlebell swings, belt squats, and other fun exercises
9. Use straps
-A surprising tip from gripmaster Rick Walker, but I've found this to be very useful as well. Straps can often add a significant amount of weight to your pull. At the same time, they build confidence with that weight, and come crunch time, you can take care of business without them.
10. Strengthen the traps
-Big traps are just cool.
Old 05-17-2007, 05:23 AM   #5
Allen Yeh

I liked his list thought some were kind of like "no kidding?" and the thing about the suits is N/A to me for sure.

I think the best tips I got out of the entire list were points:
5. Use the rack properly
8. Strengthen the hips - I've got to work on this.

Now just to throw this out there....I'd assume he means hard style swings as opposed to GS style swings.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 05:43 AM   #6
Steve Shafley

In the long run, I don't think it matters.
Old 05-17-2007, 05:55 AM   #7
Don Stevenson

Not that i'm a deadlift master or anything but that was a solid article although as Steve said nothing really revelationary.

Allen, I'd say that rRck is talking about deep explosive swings. Since he is involved with the Diesel guys that may even involve swings with a band for extra nastiness.

As far as speed goes i've found that I if i do lots of heavy, explosive pulls then my deadlift increases slowly. It doesn;t rocket up like it might on a dedicated DL plan but i'm finding that if i work up to say heavy triples of 140kg in the Clean pull (with straps) then 210kg DL is no problem even without doing ANY max or near max DL for ages.
Don Stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 08:25 AM   #8
Pierre Auge

Since we're on the subject don't make too much fun of me. I'm small and sensitive

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4wyw3ERSFM

I haven't done heavy multiples for a LONG LONG time. But Rip told me too do them once a week so here I am.

They are pretty shitty don't worry I'm aware.

To give real service you must add something which cannot be bought or measured with money, and that is sincerity and integrity. - Douglas Adams
Pierre Auge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 08:56 AM   #9
Craig Cooper

"I will never forget when my biomechanics professor in college told us that no one needs to train their hips as they are already the strongest muscle group in the body and training them will only bring imbalances."

Say What?! I'm willing to guess that this professor, on top of being an idiot, was not an athlete.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:47 AM   #10
Ron Nelson

POSSIBLE ASS KISSING ALERT!!

I actually found Shaf's reprint of his Get Up! article on deadlifting of more use than the 10 tips. I especially liked his take on escalating density training ala Staley. I used that very approach yesterday with SGDL's using 185#. What I liked was the use of only one lift for 20 minutes as opposed to two lifts for 15 minutes.

Yesterday, I paired the SGDL's with one armed standing presses. They didn't seem to affect the DL's, but I'm interested in seeing how much I could pull concentrating on just the DL.

http://www.theartofdansilver.com/ron.html
Ron Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote