Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 05-15-2007, 03:09 AM   #21
Tony Ferous

Garrett,

Have you ever noted iodine supplementation inducing acne in patients? Iodine is often implicated.

Thanks!
Tony Ferous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 07:16 AM   #22
Garrett Smith

Tony,
I haven't noticed that.

When the body is deficient in dietary iodine and/or it is overwhelmed with exogenous chlorine/fluorine/bromine, then those last three settle in to the iodine's rightful spots. When iodine supplementation is initiated, those other halogens get "kicked out" of the spots they were occupying. This means that the body starts to excrete them through the various channels. Typical (very) early symptoms of this process are a brassy taste in the mouth, frontal headache, and excessive salivation. These symptoms go away very quickly, either with time or a simple reduction in iodine dosage for a little while. The acne issue you speak of could very well be a "longer-term" detoxification reaction.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 03:03 PM   #23
Nikki Young

Thanks Garret
Nikki Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 12:19 PM   #24
Paul Findley

Any thoughts on Lugols Sln? Other than risks associated with consuming lab grade material.

http://curezone.com/faq/q.asp?a=13,281,2962&q=493

http://www.nilesbio.com/prod280.html
Paul Findley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 07:42 PM   #25
Garrett Smith

No thoughts. I don't know what the "risks" would be.

Heck, I think the FDA puts more people in danger than they help, so caveat emptor anyway...
Old 10-18-2007, 01:38 AM   #26
Nikki Young

Sorry to bring this thread up again! But thought it might be better than starting up a new one with the same subject.

In doing some further reading on thyroid, etc. I came across a situation some people have where their bodies are unable to convert T4 into T3. I couldn't find out how this actually started to form in the body and was wondering if anyone knows: 1. how a problem like this starts to occur (the bodies inability to convert)? and 2. any cures?

Thanks!
Old 10-22-2007, 02:31 PM   #27
Garrett Smith

Nikki,
Dr. Jorge Flechas, of FFP Laboratory and international iodine supplementation fame, believes that the T4-to-T3 conversion problems are linked to an iodine deficiency in the peripheral tissues. Same problem, different face.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:27 PM   #28
Nikki Young

Thats Garrett. The main reason i'm interested is because i caught up with a lady the other day, around her late 50's. And in conversation she brought up how her doctor said her body wasn't able to convert T4 to T3. She is extremely skinny and finds it impossible to put on any weight. Because her doctors (the doctors are 'holistic' doctors) dont know why her body is un-able to convert T4 to T3 they are just recommending her to eat more healthy foods (protein etc) to try and put on some weight, or at least stop her losing any more.

I came across this reading after reading your post:

'The T4 to T3 conversion requires the catalytic selenoenzyme iodothyronine deiodinase. As a consequence, T4 and T3 deficiencies together are commonest in individuals living in environments depleted in both iodine and selenium. In contrast, depressed T3, without unusually low serum T4, is a characteristic of the populations of regions where diets contain adequate iodine, but lack selenium. Furthermore, animal studies suggest that just as excess iodine consumption results in lowered serum T4 levels, an elevated intake of selenium may depress serum T3 (Benhe et al, 1992).'

So would selenium be something someone in her situation should take as well as some iodine?

Also, do you have any links to articles etc on Jorge Flechas findings on this, or any other good solid information on this subject, as i would like to not only read it myself but also pass onto the lady i talked too.

Thanks
Old 10-23-2007, 07:21 AM   #29
Garrett Smith

Nikki,
Dr. Flechas' website is www.helpmythyroid.com . He's written some decent articles there. He has been extremely helpful on the phone when I've personally called him about confusing patient cases.

Another good site to read iodine info is www.optimox.com under the "Iodine Research" link.

Googling "Flechas Iodine" might give you even more of what you're looking for.

As far as supplementing iodine, I always have folks get a baseline TSH done (at the minimum) and the 24-hour iodine loading test before I'll start them on iodine. Getting the patient on a good B-complex beforehand can also help avoid some potential issues.

Selenium is a great addition and could absolutely be playing a part here. Scientific Botanicals (the company I've mentioned with both the iodine and zinc drops) also makes a pretty hefty selenium drop supplement, at 50 mcg/drop.

Hope that helps.
Old 07-28-2008, 05:43 PM   #30
Gittit Shwartz

Would you consider an iodine "patch test" to be any good? I tried painting some 2.5% iodine tincture on my inner thigh just to see what would happen. The 2" diameter patch was soaked up in 7 hours. I just can't figure out a way to do a 24 hr loading test over here...