Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 06-04-2007, 04:48 AM   #21
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Johnson View Post
Well I dont even think my body would let me get that low on squats!! But the other reason I dont is because I bought Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe and Lon Kilgore and am trying to squat like that.Is it safe on the knees back etc to get that low? It looks painful!
They are just different types of squats, John is a Oly guy so he of course prefers the ass to ankles version(high bar squat). What you are doing is just fine, it is more akin to a powerlifter squat(low bar squat). There are pros and cons of both types, IMO neither is superior and done correctly both are safe.

Greg and Mark Rippetoe had a great discussion on the Crossfit boards about why even an Oly lifter might want to train with the low bar squat. It was a few pages long but a good read.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 06:17 AM   #22
Robb Wolf

It's funny...when I switch from one style to the other...PL to A2A I ALWAYS say "THIS! THIS is the way to squat!"

They are just so different yet both are highly beneficial. I DO maintain that in a hierarchical sense once one has developed the attributes for the A2A the PL squat is relatively easy.

Robb's Blog
Robb Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 08:04 AM   #23
Greg Everett
Administrator

safe-ish. with the knees so far forward, you can't fully engage the hamstrings, so you don't get quite as much stabilization of the knee (check out o-lifters quad vs ham development--they are all quad). but no more risky than any other sport, and if the stats are correct, actually fewer injuries in o-lifting than any other sport contested in the olympics.

which is better i think really depends on the application and other training. for example, if you're a non-olifter and just want to get butt-ass strong and move more weight, rippetoes approach is good. if you want to kick ass at the o-lifts, you need to squat accordingly. if you just want to be generallly cool, do both, or oly squat and deadlift regularly to get both depth and posterior chain work.

CF board link here:
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/22/37350.html

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 09:28 AM   #24
Pierre Auge

everything has its advantages its how and when we use them that counts.

To give real service you must add something which cannot be bought or measured with money, and that is sincerity and integrity. - Douglas Adams
Pierre Auge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 10:32 AM   #25
John Alston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Simonds View Post
John my front, overhead, sotts press and clean rack are all A2A. On my back squat I don't usually go that deep, still below parallel just not quite that deep when the weight gets heavier for me.

I am guessing that you see a transferance in muscle movement going that deep on the back and you also probably are doing a more upright O-Lift style instead of powerlifter style. So would you go slightly lighter and really drop down low versus going heavier and not getting that deep? I am asking the question relating to training in O-Lifts specifically.

By the way that is an awesome picture!
Yeah, I am o-lift oriented so that frames my exercise approach all around. With Going deep you can still go heavy but the limit will be what you can get out of the hole with. It will be lighter than the PL depth squat, so you'll have to learn the range with light weights first.
I like the deep squat. I feel it builds strength over a greater range of motion and the challenge of getting up from a heavy squat - front or back - that's really deep is just kind of awesome. It's deinitely a magnitude more intense than the higher squat.
And yeah, Serge makes a nice image in that position, no? More here
http://weightliftingexchange.com/we1752.html
Old 06-04-2007, 06:37 PM   #26
Derek Simonds

I don't care how you do it anyway you move that much weight is just down right impressive!

Those pictures tell show a whole ton of iron being thrown around. The 403 snatch ain't too shabby.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 01:20 AM   #27
Charles Johnson

WOW that is a mountain of a man!!!
Charles Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 01:48 AM   #28
Charles Johnson

Hi everyone Ive been plugging away at squats and hopefully its still improving Im getting real sore in the hams and glutes now aswell as the quads.I am a little worried about my knees, do they look like they are coming too far forward? I cannot seem to stop them moving a little even with a light weight.I am shoving my knees out to the side as much as possible.I upped a new video if anyones interested in commenting feel free, thanks guys!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSCvZI4XZiI

Regards Charles
Old 06-20-2007, 12:23 PM   #29
Dave Van Skike

Looks better to me. Depth is consistent if not rock botton...not that rock bottom is necessary for it to be legit.

Do you have kinda long legs? and a short torso? Looks like your sticking point is the same as mine. I have to keep thinking high chest, keep that upper back tight. In fiddlign around with it, i actaully had to raise the bar higher on my back to find a comforatble goorve that I could go deep and heavy (relatively) with.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:12 AM   #30
Charles Johnson

Hello Dave

Im not too sure about the short torso and long legs I never looked!! but I definately have to remind myself about keeping the chest high and tight.Way back at the start of this thread, in my 1st vid I was high bar squatting and I always had a sore lower back the next day! so Im quite comfortable keeping the bar low at the moment!! Im finally getting good muscle pumps and nice and sore hams and glutes so I think im on the right track.Now too hopefully start adding some weight!