Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 05-11-2007, 07:05 AM   #11
James Evans

I guess he feels that swings and snatches are the only conditioning you could ever need.

And yes, I thought the kb was the panacea for every S&C requirement, I'm surprised DLs even get a look in.
Old 05-11-2007, 07:09 AM   #12
James Evans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ripley View Post
James - I have a couple of PTTP spreadsheets I can send you.
Bill, that's very kind of you. I think Pavel's actual stuff may provoke more questions than I actually started this thread with.
Old 05-11-2007, 07:53 AM   #13
joe murphy

James - I've got that book, and would be happy to send it to you. if you like, shoot me an address at jh.murphy at gmail.com.

I am rooting for leicester however, for no other reason than I've known geordan murphy's brother for 20+ years.
joe murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 08:24 AM   #14
James Evans

Thanks Joe.

That seems as good as reason any to back Leicester. However, I hope that tomorrow brings disappointment to the Murphy household (both of them)!
Old 05-11-2007, 10:31 AM   #15
Dave Van Skike

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Evans View Post
I guess he feels that swings and snatches are the only conditioning you could ever need.

And yes, I thought the kb was the panacea for every S&C requirement, I'm surprised DLs even get a look in.

I have a fondness for PTTP. A couple thoughts, PTTP is internally consistent, but completely biased towards strength training, not S&C. Pavel's consistent message is to figure out your priority and focus on that. If your are trying to get strong... Do strength training. If you are trying to train conditioning........ do that.

He would say that conjugate training is frustrating and challenging for the self coached. I think that is a fair statement but there are plenty of smart folks who disagree.

The no warm up thing was never a problem for me. That said, once I started incorporating weight based warm-ups ala' Starting Strength, my sessions got a lot more productive. I think folks with sedentary jobs need warm-ups.

Take up the offer of a loaner copy of PTTP or if you can lay your hands on it, Beyond Bodybuilding. Pavel's message makes more sense in context.

I miss this type of progression. The whole five days a week of lifting has a nice feel to it after a couple weeks, it never seems "hard enough" but it always works for me...for about 3 weeks. I keep waiting for my current progress to stall so I can try Justa's single progression from Rock Iron Steel.
Old 05-11-2007, 10:57 AM   #16
joe murphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Evans View Post
Thanks Joe.

That seems as good as reason any to back Leicester. However, I hope that tomorrow brings disappointment to the Murphy household (both of them)!
you're welcome. you can keep the book, of course.

should be a good game, looking forward to it.
joe murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 02:05 AM   #17
Daniel Christensen

On the topic of Pavel, is there any general advice anyone can offer on when and how much to tense up in different exercises?

For pure strength work (e.g. DLs) I instictively tighten up. But what about when doing jumps or swings or grappling?
Daniel Christensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 02:55 AM   #18
James Evans

Default Ouch....

Well Joe, the Murphys had the last laugh in the end. Leicester absolutely hammered us, men against boys style. Absolutely filthy day didn't help.

All I can say is well done Leicester as they march on towards the treble.
Old 05-14-2007, 06:31 AM   #19
Neal Winkler

Daniel,

One thing that seperates elite athletes from amatuers is their ability to tense and relax instinctively with amazing precision. When lifting heavy things you're going to want to tense up - what Stuart McGill calls "superstifness" - other times it wouldn't be appropriate too be tense at all times. In movements like a punch or golf swing it's best to be loose right up until the moment of impact when you create whole body stiffness and then go immediately back to being loose.
Neal Winkler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 06:50 AM   #20
Danny John

There is a ton of free information at dragondoor.com on this. Check the articles. Also, at bearpowered.com there is a forum dedicated to using the method.
Danny John is offline   Reply With Quote