Level 1 Study GuideCatalyst Athletics Level 1 Certified Coaches are expected have the ability to coach beginning to intermediate weightlifters, teach the lifts, design beginner to intermediate programming, be familiar with a wide range of accessory exercises and their proper implementation, and be able to help athletes develop weightlifting-specific mobility in accordance to the Catalyst Athletics methodology.
Certification candidates are expected to study and prepare prior to attendence of the certification seminar. All questions in the Level 1 Coach exams are based on the content of the book Olympic Weightlifting: A Complete Guide for Coaches & Athletes (2nd Ed.). While much of this information is covered during the Level 1 Seminar, candidates WILL NOT PASS the certification exams if they have not studied the book.
Certification candidates must be familiar with the following from the book:
- General snatch, clean and jerk technique principles
- The complete teaching progressions for the snatch, clean and jerk with correct exercise/drill names
- Basic snatch, clean and jerk error correction
- Program design for beginning to intermediate weightlifters (You must be able to write an actual program complete with weight prescriptions that is appropriate for the individual described in the test)
- Basic flexibility, mobility and training preparation
- Common assistance exercise names, technique and purposes
These exams test candidates' knowledge specifically of the Catalyst Athletics methodology; candidates must know these methods and terminology.
Testing for the certification is difficult and there is an approximately 60% pass rate. Candidates will be allowed to retake a test one time following a failing score at no additional cost. If the candidate fails this retest, a waiting period will be strongly recommended before retaking the test to allow the candidate to study and gain more experience, and the $500 certification fee will need to be paid again in order to retest. Candidates are expected to study and prepare prior to attendence of a seminar and exams—candidates WILL NOT PASS the exams without studying the course materials.
PRACTICE TESTYou can take a practice test online to get an idea of your current preparedness for the certification exams. This is a 30-question multiple-choice test that will give you a score and let you know what questions you answered incorrectly to help you better prepare for the certification process.
Take the Practice Test