Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 10-21-2013, 12:09 PM   #1
Drew Wilson

Default 2nd pull advice

I have been seriously Olympic lifting for the past 13 weeks and could use any coaching cues/advice as how to stay back longer during the 2nd pull. I seem to rush it and my heels come of the ground which cause the bar to swing away from my body rather than travel vertical. Any advice would be much appreciated. I have attached a link below to show a video of a 3 pos snatch.

http://www.coachseye.com/ixA1
Drew Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:22 PM   #2
Blake Barnes

The video didn't work for me. Maybe try uploading it to youtube and then embedding it.

From your description, you kind of answered your own question because you're aware of the issue. Some cues to think about would be "keep your feet flat longer," "be patient."

This may also be an issue of staying too far over the bar in the first pull. But I can't say that for sure without seeing the video.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:15 PM   #3
Drew Wilson

The link just worked from my iPhone. I will do what you said and upload it again tomorrow. Thanks for the help.
Old 10-22-2013, 04:13 AM   #4
Drew Wilson

Default Youtube link

http://youtu.be/8EFil-msIuc
Old 10-22-2013, 01:55 PM   #5
Blake Barnes

So it doesn't really look like your issue is staying back more. There are a couple other issues I see:

1. The main priority is to just be more aggressive on the extension. It's a violent drive up with the legs to a full extension of the body.

2. You need to change directions faster. Immediately after the extension you should be pulling yourself straight down underneath the bar. You are "hanging" in the air too long. Some exercises to help this would be Tall Snatches/Dip Snatches/and maybe snatching from the high blocks (if your facility has blocks to pull from).

3. It looks like you're actively locking your arms out when you're pulling. You want your arms to be straight but only because you're NOT bending them. So keep them loose during the first and second pull then you can actively pull under for the third pull. This also may be why the bar feels like it's bumping out a little bit instead of having a more vertical bar path. Maybe try some Snatch High Pulls to work this portion.

By the way, what facility is that?
Old 10-22-2013, 02:51 PM   #6
Drew Wilson

Default further explanation

1. I agree I need to be more aggressive and pull under the bar faster.

2. I'm not sure if I intentionally lock my arms. I understand what you are saying about being loose, but how do you keep your lats tight to sweep the bar if your arms are too loose? That has been my concern as well and where I am confused.

3. Would you mind taking a look at my clean from today? I might have the same turnover issue when pulling under the bar/arm stiffness. Thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-G95ZpLIzY
Old 10-23-2013, 10:17 PM   #7
Blake Barnes

Yeah I see the same issue.

Keeping your back tight and keeping a tight grip on the bar while loosening up your arms is a feeling that may take a while to get use to. Even without pulling down under the bar, if you keep your arms loose, the bar should be traveling straight up immediately after the 2nd pull. In the clean video, you can see the bar traveling out instead. That's because your arms are locked out and preventing the bar from elevating.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:59 AM   #8
Drew Wilson

Default tall snatch and snatch tech work

Blake could you please critique? I kept my arms loose and just concentrated on keeping my lats tight when pulling. Is there anyway to keep the bar closer? Elbows are turned out and I cannot internally rotate my shoulders anymore than they already are. Any all all suggestions are much appreciated.

Tall snatches are the the first 2 videos and snatch tech work is the last video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZvjRsh8T1U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukkYs0tfx7Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwucgLHZmqY
Old 10-24-2013, 02:11 PM   #9
Blake Barnes

The Tall Snatches aren't bad but you have to remember, there is no leg drive what so ever. Start with your weight distributed toward the back of the foot; pull your shoulder blades back; rotate the elbows out; and initiate the movement by shifting your feet and pulling down at the same time.

You can see Greg demonstrating the Tall Snatch here: http://www.catalystathletics.com/exe...exerciseID=217

You tech work looks better but I'd still like to see you change directions quicker.
Old 10-24-2013, 02:47 PM   #10
Drew Wilson

Default Thanks

I see the difference. You are just pulling under with no leg drive upward. Thanks for clarify with a video.

Did my arms look looser in the snatch work?

What are your thoughts about including tall snatch/clean in my warm-up?