Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > Paleo Diet

Old 12-28-2012, 08:49 AM   #1
David Boyle

Default How to sell this to the family...?? Pls Help!

Listened to the Joe Rogan podcast and Robb was on there...I bought the book yesterday and have been implementing the basics for the last 2 days. I really want to get my family on board with this diet....however my wife is your basic 'mid west gal" who doesn't see anything wrong with grains and such....how do I sell this? Anyone ever go through this before...I have a son who is really big...he's young and tall...but he is overweight. It kills me to say the least...I've been trying to get him to eat healthy...but it's hard with all the crap we have in the house.

Again I would love to get some inputs from some of you all..if possible.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:59 AM   #2
Darryl Shaw

Your wife is right, there's nothing wrong with grains per se or that other starchy food paleo gurus like to demonise, potatoes. It's the way they're prepared and used as vehicle for the consumption of fats that's the problem. Think about it; there are plenty of fatties who attribute their weight problems to "carbs" like pizza, potato chips, doughnuts and cookies, all high fat foods, but have you ever heard of anyone getting fat eating brown rice, pasta, or plain old boiled potatoes?

My advice; ignore this low-carb fad diet nonsense and go ahead and eat all the brown rice, oatmeal, pasta, baked/boiled potatoes, fruit and veggies you want. Just don't cook them in excessive amounts of oil, add fats to them at the table, or eat them with high fat foods and you'll be fine.
Darryl Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:25 AM   #3
Allen Yeh

Here is how I have approached this topic through the years:

1. Dont teach or preach: The more preachy you are the more it turns them off, it doesn't matter what things you find or authors have found...etc. You also can't teach people that aren't receptive to hearing your message. You can control yourself, so let them see what you are doing. I've found that for myself things like not eating the bun when we do go out to eat have influenced my youngest son, who at times only wants to eat the meat, and the apples.

2. 2 week trial: Ask your wife to do it with you for 2 weeks, to help support you in trying to stick to it, explain how much harder it makes it for you. If she agrees that is over 1/2 your battle right there. So for a family dinner that is paleo you now have the option of feeding your child entirely paleo or he can have the main meal plus some grains. For example, my wife and I eat paleo and sometimes for the kids they will have what my wife and I are eating but instead of having sweet potatos they will have mac and cheese that night. For the most part though they don't notice if we don't make them a "starch" typically their meal will be a veggie a fruit and a protein, while my wife and I will have 2 veggies, and a protein.

The drawback here is that if she does agree you now have to be open to try whatever she might want to at a later date. Through the years I have done gallbladder cleanses, smoothie diets, the Velocity diet...etc with my wife, not for her but for us as a couple. It's one of those things that ow we are like, "do you remember that velocity diet, man we got skinny but ugh it was awful!"

3. Kids: Well you saw what I said about dinner, so what about breakfast, lunch and snacks? Buy less crap, but not completely, let your kid pick a crappy snack or 2 for the week. As for lunch that I know some families that pack their kids a paleo lunch...etc but that is just not a battle I have chosen to fight.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:12 PM   #4
Patrick Haskell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Shaw View Post
Your wife is right, there's nothing wrong with grains per se or that other starchy food paleo gurus like to demonise, potatoes. It's the way they're prepared and used as vehicle for the consumption of fats that's the problem. Think about it; there are plenty of fatties who attribute their weight problems to "carbs" like pizza, potato chips, doughnuts and cookies, all high fat foods, but have you ever heard of anyone getting fat eating brown rice, pasta, or plain old boiled potatoes?

My advice; ignore this low-carb fad diet nonsense and go ahead and eat all the brown rice, oatmeal, pasta, baked/boiled potatoes, fruit and veggies you want. Just don't cook them in excessive amounts of oil, add fats to them at the table, or eat them with high fat foods and you'll be fine.
I'd note that most folks who listen to Robb no longer equate Paleo with low carb. That's a bit of a straw man at this point in the discussion. Low carb is one (rather blunt) tool in the Paleo toolbox. Any discussion regarding nutrition that doesn't get past the macronutrients is missing most of a rather complex science, as I'm sure you know. It's 2013, the cavemen have evolved already.
Patrick Haskell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:40 PM   #5
Tamara Reynolds

Realistically, I have lost close to 10 lbs recently eating a diet of Boston Creme donuts, coffee, and bourbon. My cholesterol in October was 177, and my blood work was otherwise perfect from a physician's perspective.

I was strict Paleo for well over a year. I am not arguing that my recent donut diet is a good choice for anyone, but I feel better, lift better, and look better when I am not eating strict Paleo. Fact.

So, if someone comes to my gym, fat, unhealthy, and unhappy, then yes. Cutting sugar and processed foods and focusing on eating meat, fruits and veggies is a standard recommendation.

But, in terms of weight loss, calories in/calories out still works, and genetics are, um, real. Take a look around McDonald's. There are a lot of skinny people eating lunch there every day. Skinny doesn't always equal healthy, and a healthy diet doesn't mean you won't get cancer or die in a car accident.
Tamara Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote