Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 01-23-2013, 06:56 PM   #201
Yael Grauer

Tuesday

Breakfast: shredded sweet potatoes with two fried eggs on top

Lunch: shredded chicken/tomato/onion stuff with some shredded cheese

snack #1: baby carrots and almond butter

snack #2: almonds and raisins

Dinner: chicken curry in the crockpot--carrots, onions, celery, chicken thighs, garlic, coconut milk, chicken broth and a whole lot of spices.

workout: phase 1 class... we worked on a takedown to side control, takedown to mount, bridge & roll mount escape, a standing guard pass to side and a double-under pass, and 15 minutes of positional drills.

also: got tuina for my arm; he said it'd take 12 weeks of weekly tuina for a half hour a session for it to heal, so that was 1 of 12.

Wednesday

Breakfast: 2 eggs and a banana

Lunch: tuna salad--tuna, carrots, tomatoes, avocado, paprika, salt, pepper, lemon juice, extra virgin olive oil

Dinner: leftover slow cooked chicken curry with carrots, onion and celery, mmm.

Snack: a half a bowl of Trader Joe's popcorn with herbs and spices (seasoned with sea salt, dill, celery seed, and onion powder)

workout: phase 2 class; we worked escapes from mount, from someone posting from mount (escape to x-guard or half-guard), from a knee pillow and from high mount; then did positional training from mount; did pretty good, I could hang with my training partner even though he was bigger and stronger and he told me I was sneaky. easier to get out of mount to half guard than to hold mount myself, though... prob. cos i squeeze the knees which makes it hard to base quickly with my foot, so I get rolled instead. but in real life i don't hold mount; i go to side.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:19 PM   #202
Yael Grauer

Friday the 24th

Breakfast: eggs, caramelized onion, avocado, sausage, fresh herbs and smoked cheddar on a pretzel bun

Lunch: 2 cups of coffee. A lettuce wrap from Jimmy John's--no bread, no mayo, just turkey, lettuce, tomato and alfalfa sprouts. not bad for no time to pack a lunch!

Snack: carrot sticks with raw almond butter

Dinner: pulled pork with onions and garlic and spices

no workout

25th

breakfast: eggs and avocado.

snack: cherry tomatoes

lunch: leftover pulled pork

dinner: way too much crap at a potluck. salad, dolmas, brownies, cookies, chocolate, you name it

no workout

26th

breakfast: 2 eggs, some bacon and half an avocado

lunch: cilantro lime chicken and some salad (mixed greens, shredded carrots, tomatoes) with oil & vinegar

dinner: tacos with beef, shredded lettuce, a cheese blend and corn tortillas.

snack: lime and salt corn tortilla chips with guacamole

workout: open mat

27th

breakfast: basil and spinach omelet, and some avocado slices

lunch: leftover pulled pork

snack: an orange

dinner: porkchops cooked with red wine, onions and garlic. plus some frozen green beans.

workout: TRX workout with Todd. we did 2 sets of 12X pushups, lunges, flys, pistols (8 each on this one), hamstring curls, reverse lunges, muscle-ups, one-armed pulls.

28th:

breakfast: 2 eggs and some bacon

lunch: leftover cilantro lime chicken (which I'm tired of, but we still have some left, lol) and the last bit of the wilted salad I made for Friday's potluck. Added some raisins and a handful of pine nuts to spice it up a little.

dinner: bacon mushroom chili.

workout: drove all the way down to the gym and realized I left my Oly lifting shoes and knee sleeves at home. I wonder if I subconsciously did it because I was still sore from the day before

29th

breakfast: leftover Rotisserie chicken cooked with shredded apple

snack: chai at a meeting in a cafe (so that's probably cheat #1 for this week)

lunch: leftover bacon mushroom chili

dinner: Hungarian stew (beef, beef broth, onions, garlic, green pepper, tomato paste, carrots, sweet potatoes, lots of smoked paprika) and broccoli

workout: Oly

snatches up to 28K I think it was. working triples.
cleans up to 40K, working doubles but only got 1 for 40; missed at 41.
front squats... quintuples and then triples, up to 45K
behind the neck presses, up to...something, can't remember, I just do what my coach says. he had me do quintuples again.
ended with 2 X 10 situps.

30th

breakfast: Paleo pancakes (with sweet potatoes and pumpkin)

lunch: leftover Hungarian stew.

snack: handful of plantain chips

dinner: bowl of chicken egg drop soup (and it was so good!)

workout: none; i got tuina on my arm today and it was so sore after he was done; didn't want to exacerbate it
Old 01-31-2013, 04:08 AM   #203
Allen Yeh

What is tuina? At first I thought you wrote tuna....and realized that didn't make sense.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:55 PM   #204
Yael Grauer

Tuina is Chinese deep tissue massage. It hurts a lot.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:54 PM   #205
Yael Grauer

breakfast: leftover Paleo chili
lunch: the rest of the chili
snack: 3 brownie bites, cheese and fruit, a couple crackers
dinner: the rest of the chicken egg drop soup

workout: just 3 rounds of 20 each pushups, situps, jumping jacks. busy day.

breakfast: eggs and bacon
linner: a banana and almonds
dinner: rotisserie chicken, mixed greens with oil & vinegar

workout: open mat; was late due to snow so I got 3 7-minute rounds in

breakfast: sweet potato hash with two fried eggs on top
lunch: mixed greens salad with some of the leftover rotisserie chicken and some tomatoes and dressing
snack: I finally let myself have a large mint condition cooler. so worth it.
dinner: pork rib and onion and still drinking my cooler an hour later.
snack: carrots and guac. gross, lol. i want chips.

workout: Saturday AM open mat. My friend from Milwaukee visited!!! It was so great rolling with her. I haven't seen her in a year, and she recognized specific areas where I've improved. After 137 classes (I track them on foursquare) and no change in rank, it's nice to know I've at least improved a little.

breakfast: scrambled eggs and bacon
snack: sushi--assorted California rolls with brown rice. also had the samples at Trader Joe's at around 5 or so...some kind of tea/juice and half a meatball with some kind of sauce
dinner: Paleo Pad Thai. so yum.
snack: a handful of Honey Dijon potato chips and one of those cookie butter candy bars from Trader Joe's

workout: none; always rest on Sundays

lunch: the rest of the Paleo Pad Thai
snack: an orange and some almonds
dinner: some lentil soup from a can. not the best choice, but works in a pinch

workout: BJJ Phase 2. We worked on two different ways of stuffing the butterfly sweep/passing butterfly guard, and then did some rolling. nice to know i can still smash people who came in way after me and now have the same rank I do. rank is stupid but it's annoying not to get it, esp. since i don't really want to compete as a white belt anymore.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:21 PM   #206
Yael Grauer

5th:
breakfast: I totally skipped it to make it to my hair appointment in time. herbal tea at the hair place.

lunch: client meeting. 6 oz. flat iron steak, pan roasted, with bearnaise on the side, and 2 scrambled eggs, whole wheat toast, fruit. so yeah, that's a cheat meal, but could've been worse

dinner: chicken sausage, squash and sweet potatoes

snack: went out for drinks/cupcakes with my friend who just landed a sweet new job. one glass of chardonnay and one Irish car bomb cupcake (Guinness cake filled with Bailey's mousse and topped with Jameson buttercream). and 4 chips with salsa. (4 chips! lol but really that's all I had)

So yeah, not very disciplined on Tuesday.

workout: nothing. I got too busy with work between these meetings, and didn't sleep enough last night to feel up for it.)

6th:

back on track!

breakfast: eggs, bacon, half an avocado

lunch: leftover squash/sweet potato/Italian sausage stuff from last night

dinner: shrimp cooked with chili powder, salt, garlic, and a little orange juice (plus a slice of orange while cooking)

workout: I actually drove all the way to jits and then Tim reminded me 7:45 isn't on Wednesdays, so I felt dumb and drove home. I couldn't go do advanced b/c my arm was sore from tuina (ancient Chinese arm torture), so I just did a bodyweight workout: 3 X 20 each squats jumping jacks and crunches. Usually I do pushups but did squats instead. This workout is way too easy.

We've pinpointed that the parts of my arm that hurt the most are my brachiaradialis (which I strained like 6 or 7 years ago) and my tricep and possibly some damage to the back of my arm/elbow area, but even though he's digging in deeper every week, we still haven't gotten deep enough to know for sure, but he said probably next week he might want to use some needles too, to get more chi/blood/whatever flow to those joints. only thing he's worried about is whether or not there's calcification in the joint but no way of telling really.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:57 PM   #207
Yael Grauer

7th
breakfast: 2 eggs and half an avocado
snack: just a cup of coffee (yes with cream and sugar)
late lunch: a homemade tuna salad with avocado, tomatoes, carrots, lemon, olive oil, etc.
dinner: slice of pizza and a root beer (oops! but it was so free)
second dinner: Paleo chili and vegetables
late-night snack: banana and almonds

workout: was gonna do Oly, but I didn't. I think I need to find a better plan for my schedule... knowing my arm is sore for 1-2 days after I get tuina on Wednesdays, I should do Oly on Mondays or Tuesdays.

8th
breakfast: scrambled eggs cooked with spinach, with some cooked grape tomatoes
lunch: filet mignon served with arugula & blue cheese (AKA the healthiest thing on the menu)
dinner: pork loin and butternut squash stew with lots of other veggies

workout: open mat; 5 rounds

9th
breakfast: sweet potato hash with two fried eggs on top
lunch: leftover pork and butternut squash stew from yesterday
snack: i ordered an orgasmic chai (which is regular chai with a shot of toasted marshmallow) at the cafe i was at
snack 2: went to Trader Joe's to pick up a few things, and I had their sample, which was a taste of lasagna with 1/4 of a mozzarella stick and some cranberry juice. These are the tiny servings in the little paper cups.
dinner: homemade bacon-wrapped chicken thighs with onion, garlic, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper, oh and mushrooms
snack 3: half a bowl of plantain chips and guacamole

workout: open mat; 7 rounds
Old 02-10-2013, 11:44 PM   #208
Yael Grauer

2/10

breakfast: eggs scrambled with tomatoes and mushrooms, a banana
lunch: some chips and salsa. trapped at home b/c of the snow (and I just couldn't make myself eat that pork stew for the 3rd time in a row)
snack: peanut butter and jelly candy bar from Trader Joe's
dinner: sweet Italian pork sausage with sweet potatoes, collard greens, chicken broth, etc.

Been really watching my diet for the past month or so because I'm on a quest to get back down to my competition weight... well actually I guess lower than my comp weight because I used to walk around at 3 lbs over and cut water or diet the week before and then wear a 3 lb lightweight gi, so my "old" walking weight was about 6 lbs. more than I want to get to. I want to wear whatever gi I want. So I'm about 1/3 of the way there after just under a month (28 days). Hoping 2-3 more months will do it. My goal is to lose gradually and maintain instead of cutting down and regaining after the tournament, as I've always done.

So about 14 pounds to go, but I know the 8 will be easy and those last 6 will be tough because it's been forever.

I've been trying to have a more sustainable diet instead of trying to pretend I'm 100% Paleo or worse, Whole30. But I'm also trying to make sure my cheat meals are limited (smaller portions and only 3-ish times per week is the goal...I get closer each week). The best way to do that is to make sure they're awesomely delicious instead of just any old crap, and to chew tons of gum.

Also trying to not decide on a specific tournament I want to cut weight for until I'm at weight, and THEN I can pick a tournament.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:04 PM   #209
Yael Grauer

2/12
lunch: homemade tuna and veggie salad (with lime juice instead of lemon juice for variety)
snack: a bunch of junk I really shouldn't have eaten...but it was free. I had a brownie, some mini candy bars, some crackers with sauces, a piece of spanakopita, etc.
dinner: frozen terikayi chicken. i was going to eat the leftover pork and sweet potatoes from friday but it was bad so i had to throw it out and went to get a rotisserie chicken but the store was out so i got the only frozen meal with veggies and whole grains (brown rice), also has chicken and snap peas and carrots and red pepper, but the sauce had soy sauce and honey/sugar, so i transferred the thing to a regular plate to get some of the sauce off.
snack: apple and almond butter. because that wasn't enough food.

workout: just did 3 sets of 20 of pushups/situps/jumping jacks; was still sore from the day before

2/13
lunch: I skipped lunch. was freaking out because of a dental problem
dinner: chicken apple sausage with sweet potatoes, kale, zucchini, onion, garlic and spices
snack: an orange

workout: I went to restorative yoga instead of BJJ because I was freaking out about my tooth. I think I prob. need a root canal; will find out for sure next week.
also: got tuina, so at least my arm is getting better, even though my tooth is fucked

2/14
breakfast: grated apple cooked with leftover rotisserie chicken and cinnamon
lunch: homemade tuna salad
dinner: Valentine's day dinner--salmon on naan with mango salsa, salad with cheese, bacon and a raspberry vinaigrette, lobster with french peas on parmesan fettucine, apple crumb with whipped cream

workout: none; dinner and comedy night out

2/15
breakfast: eggs with salsa, bacon, avocado
snack: a cup of coffee...but I had it with no sugar this time, but it had added cream. not sure which is better.
lunch at 5:30: I made myself eat the chicken and a banana that I brought to the coworking space on my drive from there to open mat; figured I should eat something even though I didn't want to
dinner: Southwestern chili: sweet potatoes, diced tomatoes, onion, green pepper, celery, garlic and spices

workout: open mat; I did 4 or 5 7-minute rounds
Old 02-25-2013, 04:01 PM   #210
Yael Grauer

2/16
breakfast: morning hash: bacon, onion, garlic, red bell pepper, sweet potato, kale, thyme, and eggs on top.
snack: finally ate my almond & sea salt in dark chocolate Valentine's Day candy bar.
lunch: leftover turkey sweet potato chili from yesterday.
dinner: chicken and coconut milk and diced tomato, onion, etc. over cauliflower rice
snack: carrots with almond butter and a small handful of pistachios

workout: 2 X 20 jumping jacks, 2 X 15 squats, 2 1-min wall sits, 2 X 15 calf raises, 2 X 15 pushups, 2 X 10 lying torso raises, 2 X 15 crunches, 2 X 25 bicycles, plank.

2/17
lunch: went to Space Aliens with Todd's nephew and sister and parents. Spinach salad with grilled chicken, hardboiled eggs and bacon (and dressing on the side). About 5 fries. (5 fries! haha)
snack: half a peanut butter and jelly candy bar when we got groceries at Trader Joe's.
dinner: Puerto Rican Beef: beef, all kinds of bell peppers, onion, kale, sweet potatoes, avocados, green olives and spices.

no workout, rest day

2/18
lunch: leftover Puerto Rican beef with veggies and sweet potatoes from yesterday
snack: banana
dinner: more Puerto Rican beef

workout: none. this was the day before my root canal, and I was freaking out

2/19
2PM meal (lunch?): smoothie w/ frozen berries, Greek yogurt, coconut milk, cocoa powder
dinner: brussel sprouts with bacon, chicken and cilantro soup with onions
snack: a banana. i could barely open my jaw; i had to cut it into pieces.

workout: none; recovering

2/20
breakfast: scrambled eggs and half a glass of smoothie with blueberries, spinach, almond butter, coconut manna, cocoa powder, and coconut milk
snack (at an event): yogurt and 3 pieces of fruit
lunch: boxed lunch. mango chicken salad sandwich, chips, salad, cookie
dinner: just ate random food they had out for dinner while networking after this event. Some meat and salad, a few crackers, an egg roll, etc. No whole grains, but really I was just trying to chew and have been eating so little that I just ate what was there. Oh and I had a beer and I had part of a brownie. I don't really feel bad about it.

workout: none, was at an event all day

2/21
breakfast: the leftover rotisserie chicken cooked with shredded apple and cinnamon
lunch: chicken with cauliflower and broccoli and veggies
dinner: pulled pork, brussel sprouts

workout: just a home workout with squats, situps and jumping jacks. also got tuina.

2/22
breakfast: scrambled eggs with salsa and avocado
snack: a turtle cupcake and coffee
lunch: Italian sausage and spinach
snack: handful of plantain chips with guac

workout: nothing

2/23
breakfast: scrambled eggs, Paleo apple/banana muffins
snack: mint condition cooler
fight snacks: a bowl of Munchies. chili and bacon with cornbread. a beer.

workout: none; we had an in-house tournament

2/24
breakfast: eggs, bacon, red pepper, green pepper, garlic, onion, etc.
lunch: leftover Paleo chili with mushrooms and bacon and half an avocado.
snack: at TJ's, I tried the carrot with some dip and some cranberry juice
dinner: osso "buco" with tomatoes and carrots. I'm playing with the 4-Hour Chef

workout: nothing; i take Sundays off

So I basically barely worked out for the last week and a half.