Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 07-08-2011, 09:25 AM   #11
Greg Everett
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Orr View Post
I let a friend borrow Greg's book. Argh. Really wish I could look at his beginner's program!
Mon
CJ - heavy single; 85% of that x 1 x 3
Snatch - heavy single; 85% of that x 1 x 3
Pull-ups

Tue
Back squat - 5 x 3 / alt w fs
Snatch deadlift - 5 x 3 / alt w cln dl
Push press - 5x5 / alt w sn pp

Thu
Same as Mon w/ snatch first

Fri
OHS - 5x3 / alt w sn bal
Front squat - 5x3 / alt w bs
Clean pull - 5x3 / alt w sn pull

That is a really basic template that should be adjusted based on need.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 10:47 PM   #12
Aimee Anaya Everett
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Orr View Post
I can't tell you how much I loved Jocelyn's article, and I'd love to hear more about what this looked like...
Could you describe how Jocelyn's program was put together? Or if that's kind of proprietary knowledge, how would you put together a recreational weightlifting/short metcon program where you lift two or three times per week and do two or three metcons?
hey james-
I designed Jocelyn's program to fit her weaknessess while also getting her stronger, more explosive, and overall well-rounded. I'd be happy to post a sample week, if that's what you are looking for. Keep in mind, hers was very met con heavy.
If you're looking to do more olympic lifting with small met cons, then you should look in to following one of the catalyst main page programs.

www.aimeescupcakes.com
www.cathletics.com
Aimee Anaya Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 11:51 AM   #13
Troy Kerr

Aimee-

I'd love to see a sample week. I have been using this style of approach with my competitive xfit athletes with great success, and would love to see how my template compares with a top level coach!
Troy Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 01:29 PM   #14
Robert Kikuchi

Aimee,

I would also love to see a sample week if you don't mind. Thanks!
Robert Kikuchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 07:15 PM   #15
Aimee Anaya Everett
Administrator

Sorry it has been 13 years since I posted a response. We have been traveling!
Here is a week, somewhere in a second part of a 16 week cycle.
Monday

weights in kilos
BS: 71% X 3 X 10 sets
SN DL (I want you to work positioning here, nice and controlled- not fast! Letís try this again!): 65 X 3, 70 X 3, 75 X 3 X 2 sets

→5 rounds:
ē 5 HSPU
ē 5 DU

Tuesday

Power clean: (62 X 2, 67 X 1, 72 X 1) X 2
SN Push Press: 70%X 3 X 3 (% off best snatch)

AMRAMP 6 minutes
3 MU
6 DB thrusters

5 X 30 sec hollow rocks

Wednesday-

FS + Jerk: (72% X 3+1, 76% X 2+1, 80% X 1+1) X 2 rounds (% off best jerk)
(*note 72% X 3 X 1 means 72% for 3 FS + 1 jerk. Make sure you pay attention to the rep changes in these waves)
SLDL: 60kg X 5 X 3 sets

4 sets of 5 box jumps pretty high! Higher than you would use in a metcon. Donít do these for time, do them for jumping power in your legs. So jump down and reset each time to get a good jump. I want you to try to jump up as high as you can and land flat-footed on top of the box. Rest at least 90 seconds between each set.
3 X 10 weighted sit-ups (25# DB)

NO METCON

Thursday OFF

Friday

Power Snatch + OHS: 45kg X 2 + 2 (2 ps, then 2 ohs), 50kg X 2 + 2, 55kg X 1 + 2 X 3 sets
PP + Jerk: 59kg X 2 + 1, 64kg X 2 +1, 68kg X 2 + 1 for 2 sets

Metcon:

4 rounds:
8 rope pull-ups
8 ring push-ups
8 half moons (ea side)

Saturday
Snatch- 77% X 2, 80% X 2, 83% X 1 X 2sets
Clean & Jerk- 75 % X 1 X 3

5 X 100 m sprints (30 secs rest in between)
rest 2 minutes then
30 burpees

www.aimeescupcakes.com
www.cathletics.com
Old 08-02-2011, 05:09 PM   #16
Troy Kerr

Thanks Aimee. Congrats on your last competition, how is the knee?

When training a more highly developed crossfit athletes such as Jocelyn, have you switched to more of a 90% o-lifting cycle with only maintenance for metcon? Or have you found it more successful to stick with a format such as the one you posted?

Also, with the snatch+overhead squat and Front squat+Jerk combo lifts, are these primarily a way to cover more in less time? Or are they better served to develop the lifts whose percentages they are based off of?
Troy Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 11:12 PM   #17
James Orr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimee Anaya View Post
Sorry it has been 13 years since I posted a response. We have been traveling!
It's OK, it's been 13 years since I checked the thread! Thank you for posting!
James Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 01:46 AM   #18
ross dijulio

Is there a program/cycle much like the one you designed for Jocelyn that you suggest? I do CF but do not agree with much of the programming hq and other affiliates. I love the way that week designed above looked and was hoping to be pointed in a similar direction, as I do still want to compete in cf. Any help??
ross dijulio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 10:55 AM   #19
James Orr

I'm very interested in both of these questions as well. An article on these things would make a great article for the sight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Kerr View Post
When training a more highly developed crossfit athletes such as Jocelyn, have you switched to more of a 90% o-lifting cycle with only maintenance for metcon? Or have you found it more successful to stick with a format such as the one you posted?
I was wondering something similar. With such short metcons, were they just maintaining an aerobic ability/work capacity/whatever, that she already had? Or were they developing it further?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ross dijulio View Post
Is there a program/cycle much like the one you designed for Jocelyn that you suggest? I do CF but do not agree with much of the programming hq and other affiliates. I love the way that week designed above looked and was hoping to be pointed in a similar direction, as I do still want to compete in cf. Any help??
This. I mentioned Coach Rut's Fitness Conduit (http://www.bootcampfitnesskc.com/the-fitness-conduit), but if there are any others?
James Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 06:47 PM   #20
Aimee Anaya Everett
Administrator

"When training a more highly developed crossfit athletes such as Jocelyn, have you switched to more of a 90% o-lifting cycle with only maintenance for metcon? Or have you found it more successful to stick with a format such as the one you posted?"

I do not ever, even if there is a fire, stick to one format. Highly developed, or not. And I do not stick to a 90% format for the o'lifting cycles. I use progressions and make changes weekly in metcon reps and intensity and/or strength reps and intensity based on performance, body recovery, and life. Also, in weeks that the strength work is reaching 90%+ I adjust the metcon reps accordingly so the body is recovered and prepared for the demands of the strength work, and vice versa.

"Also, with the snatch+overhead squat and Front squat+Jerk combo lifts, are these primarily a way to cover more in less time? Or are they better served to develop the lifts whose percentages they are based off of?"

No, I don't cut corners and try to cover less in more time. Those are used to develop strength, and technique, in the fatigued state. For example, doing a jerk after a clean + a front squat is a lot harder than doing it right after a clean. This is just a way to apply strength in an uncomfortable situation, and build up conditioning in a strength aspect. So essentially, it not only strengthens the lift we may be targeting, but it allows the athlete to develop overall strength, and conditioning, at higher percentages, which ultimately is geared towards increasing the 1RM.

"I was wondering something similar. With such short metcons, were they just maintaining an aerobic ability/work capacity/whatever, that she already had? Or were they developing it further?"

Both. My metcons always have a plan- based on the week, what we are trying to accomplish or develop, and what the athlete's strengths and weaknesses are. Also, they may look short but they are very demanding. A huge misconception, I believe, is that a workout has to be 20+ minutes long, and completely puking insane, for it to be successful.
At this time in the cycle(s) we were working on Joc's ability to string more muscle ups together when fatigued. So the metcon:
AMRAMP 6 minutes
3 MU
6 DB thrusters

was designed so that she could, in hopes, get all 3 MU's unbroken, each round of the 6 minutes. The DB thrusters were heavy, to fatigue her enough that she would have to focus on getting her MU's unbroken, but not too many reps so that she couldn't maintain intensity each round. She was learning to keep the intensity the same every round she did. By keeping the reps short, it allows her to move so quickly that she never has a chance to spend so long on one exercise that she still isn't tired from the last time she did it. Meaning, by only doing 6 DB thrusters, likely she wasn't fully recovered from doing the last 3 MU's, and now she will already have to do them again. These short metcons, which are often heavy or highly skilled, (if you read her article) actually better prepared her for longer metcons then dong long metcons did. It trained her body to keep intensity longer without fatiguing or needing to stop for breaks.

"Is there a program/cycle much like the one you designed for Jocelyn that you suggest? I do CF but do not agree with much of the programming hq and other affiliates. I love the way that week designed above looked and was hoping to be pointed in a similar direction, as I do still want to compete in cf. Any help??"

This programming takes a lot if individualization and unfortunately we do not have a cycle that is general enough that anyone could use it. I could (but I won't) post Jocelyns whole 32 week cycle, or Jolie's or Tamara Holmes, cycles (which are all totally different), or any of my other clients. However, it wouldn't be something that just anyone could do. It was designed for their strengths and weaknesses, while providing them with enough variety, uncomfortableness, and "unknowable's", to prepare them for 3 days of "unknown" and sheer madness. In doing so I would be doing you, or anyone else reading this, a disservice. Jolie's program may not be as effective for you as it was for her. Jocelyn's program may not be good for you. The end results may not be the same. I individualized these programs for them, and often made changes week-to-week based on what was going on in their lives, or how great/shitty they were feeling. I didn't use a general approach that could be used across many different individuals (note: general programs can obviously be very effective for clients or athletes at many different fitness levels, as proven by our Catalyst workout of the days, or our gym programming, however I did not design these programs for that purpose). This is why I do remote programming for people all over the world. We also design "general" strength and metcon programs for gyms to use with their classes. I hope this makes sense.

The catalyst workout of the day has several strength cycles that are amazing and have shown great, amazing results for hundreds of people around the world. It is not as heavily metcon influenced as the example week I have shown, but has conditioning incorporated. You can also choose a cycle that fits your needs here: http://www.cathletics.com/daily/about.php

Or, we do personalized programming, of course.

www.aimeescupcakes.com
www.cathletics.com