Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Fitness, Strength & CrossFit (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   what kind of skills/movements? (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=103)

Mark Gebhard 10-19-2006 06:43 PM

what kind of skills/movements?

I've seen Robb mention something like breaking a 4 day block into o-lifting/metcon/gymnastics/rest. What do the gymnastics days look like in this kind of setup? Are you focusing more on strength or agility/coordination/flexibility? I.e. HSPUs, muscleups, levers or rolls, roundoffs, backhandsprings? Feel free to slap me if I just missed it, but I think that would make a good article for the PM.

Yael Grauer 10-19-2006 07:45 PM

Oops, reposting this in the correct area.

I second the article idea!! I'd be really really interested in beginning gymnastics moves ideas too! I've been working on this really insane new training schedule that I can't wait to try out :) incorporating many of Robb's ideas and a few of my own, and the gymnastics is divided into easy weeks trying to improve stuff I can already do (L-sit, v-sit, basic ring work, bench dips) and the "hard" stuff (for me) like trying to teach myself shoulder stands, head stands, pistols (using the pistol progression article), basic Parkour moves (Jesse's articles), rolling (which I absolutely suck at and can't do yet), etc.

Robb Wolf 10-22-2006 02:55 PM

Mark-
I'm a gymnastics hack (actually I'm a hack at most things!) but I think itís just a matter of picking some elements and designing some progressions to achieve those goals. I think basic tumbling- handstand, front roll, back roll, extensions rolls, pirotes, aerials, handsprings, flips) and ring work-MU, front/back lever, kip-to-support, back roll to support, press to HS, skin-the-cat...these two elements I think are very accessible and offer the most transferability to general athleticism. Just my opinion but you can get strong as hell on the rings and can do some fun/cool elemental tumbling FAIRLY easily.

In this way also you can work elements on an as needed basis. Need some metcon? 10 snap downs (handstand snapping down into a round off landing), 10 pull-ups, 10 Twinkie hugs-rounds in 12 minutes for example.

We will certainly be looking at more of this in the future and have some cool projects in the works.

Scotty Hagnas 10-23-2006 06:55 PM

I do similar to what Robb has suggested and have some thoughts... I will get back and weigh in on this when I get a spare second.

Scotty Hagnas
CrossFit Portland

Scotty Hagnas 10-24-2006 12:50 PM

I attack the gymnastic movments in several ways.

One or two days a week, I do mostly gymnastic drills. Also, I nearly always have one element that I will practice multiple times daily in grease the groove fashion. (people at my work are finally getting used to me doing a quick press or planche here and there)

I tend to do the tumbling more on off days as active recovery, but this is an area I am plannning to focus on more - it needs work!

During the training sessions, I work thru progressions on whatever skills that I am presently training, but I also concoct mini WODs with some of these elements. I get a little met-con this way, and build some strength endurance. However, I don't limit myself to only the gymnastic elements here. I really like doing o-lift work or squat variations mixed into these circuts. Movement and mobility sequences are another great option.

Here is an example. If you have several skills that you can string together on the rings, design yourself a little routine. It might be something like Muscle-up, L sit 3" hold, press shoulderstand 3", fwd roll to hang, to back lever 3", straddle front lever 3", 3 L pullups. Then, select a lift for the day. Here, then, is an example WOD:

7 rounds:

Squat clean X 3
High box jumps 36" X 5
Ring routine X1

The routine provides a potent stimulus that delivers a training response greater than the sum of the individual parts. I strongly suspect that adding the non-gymnastic elements amplifies this effect even more.

Scotty Hagnas
CrossFit Portland

Scott Kustes 10-24-2006 02:58 PM

Thanks for the info Scotty. I started working up to a straddle planche and I started Greasing the Groove in the restroom (no jokes, please). The restroom has one very large stall, so I use the restroom, pop down into tuck planche, wash hands, go on with my day.