Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Flexibility, Training Preparation & Recovery (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Notes on an Upper Body Warmup DVD (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1035)

Steve Shafley 05-18-2007 09:36 AM

Notes on an Upper Body Warmup DVD

I jotted these down while watching the DVD:

Thoracic Rolling

With foam roller and medicine ball (if you need a harder, more targeted "roll")

a. front to back
b. side to side
c. segmental (1 vertebrae at a time)

-note, always cross arms over the body or put hands behind head and try to touch elbows to get scapula out of the way.

Thoracic Extension and Rotation

a. side lying rotation extension
-lie on side, with upper leg bent 90 @ hip and knee, with knee elevated.
-arm that's down, reach up and push to engage serratus. Hold there.
-brace abs
-arm that's up, reach up and back, then bring down towards other arm. Repeat.
b. quadraped thoracic rotation extension
-on hand and knees
-put hand on neck, elbow up
-keep abs braced
-rotate elevate elbow down towards opposite knee

Scapular Closed Chain

a. push up plus (push up + scap push up)
b. T-push ups (emphasize the external rotation of the "up" arm.
c. "Closed Chain Upper Extremity Stability"
-get in push up postition.
-move one hand to the other, then move back.
-repeat other hand
-Dan John calls these "tick tocks" or something.

Scap Open Chain

a. Shoulder circles...little to big, hands facing up.
b. Dynamic Blackburns
-facedown on bench (or floor), hands on butt, palms up.
-move arms in an arc towards your head while rotating palms to face down.
c. PNF diagonals
-one arm up, 45 deg angle from body, thumb is up. one arm down, 45 deg angle from body, thumb down.
-bring both arms across body in a diagonal pattern while rotating hands in the direction of movement...i.e. upper arm comes down across front of body while hand rotates so thumb is down, lower arm comes up across front of the body while hand rotates so thumb is facing up.
-switch arms when done with repetitions...speed is dependent on how movement feels.

Combination Scapular-Thoracic

a. Wall slides (see T-mag article)
b. Reach, roll, and lift (see the shoulder T-mag article by Cosgrove and Waterbury)
c. Side lying rotation with glenhumeral internal rotation
-like the side lying rotation above, except after you reach up and back, you bring your hand down towards your butt.

Combination Scap-Thoracic-Hip

a. PNF Diagonal with Lunge holding small db.
-lunge
-holding db in opposite hand of lead leg, reach down and across lead leg while rotating hand
-hard to visualize
b. Rear lunge with posteriolateral reach
-hold db by both ends.
-perform rear lunge while reaching backwards on the side of the forward leg
c. Split stance rotation
-hold bar or dowel on back like you are squatting
-get on floor in a lunge position, with knee on ground
-rotate back and forth using thoracic part of back
d. High step with rotation
-just like the previous one, only you are standing and have on foot up on a bench.. you don't actually step up.

kevin mckay 05-18-2007 07:31 PM

Thanks, that is some great stuff!
If you ever video it that would be even better because some is hard to understand.

Steve Shafley 05-21-2007 05:15 AM

Yeah, I might tape some of it...I'm in the middle of evaluating the movements. Like all of these things, wheat and chaff.

Allen Yeh 05-21-2007 07:39 AM

Shaf,
Which DVD is this? The Inside-Out by MR and BH?

Kevin,
Some of the above exercises have videos over at the Core Performance website. Though it can be a pain to find the exact video since their website doesn't have a seach function.

Steve Shafley 05-21-2007 04:07 PM

Yeah, it is.

Greg Everett 05-22-2007 12:30 PM

very cool. thanks.

Allen Yeh 05-23-2007 02:54 AM

Was there a program laid out in the DVD also?

I recall reading complaints that some had with Magnificent Mobility was lack of programming. To get that you basically had to go to T-nation and say "I have your DVD and problem XYZ, which exercises should I do, how often...etc" or "I have no obvious problems but how often should I use this?"

Steve Shafley 05-23-2007 01:53 PM

Just saw the DVD not the accompanying materials, but there was really no program laid out.

Seeing the exercises was interesting, but the meat and potatoes can be found in the article about the scapulae on T-mag.

Jeff Northrop 05-23-2007 04:30 PM

Thought I'd chime in here for my first post.

I own both Magnificent Mobility (lower body) and Inside Out (upper body) and have found both to be worth the ~$100 I spent on them. It is true that there is no program laid out in either DVD and you could find all of the movements on both with enough searching around the internet but there is a convenience factor having them all in one place. I find myself going back to them every four weeks or so to add and subtract from my warm-up to focus on the area that need current attention and I've been at it for 6 or more months. To me the time savings alone is worth the price of the product.

I should qualify that I'm not necessarily new to lifting but a solid dynamic warm up has never been much of a focus so the information in these DVDs was mostly new to me. Maybe someone who has spent time doing proper warm ups wouldn't find as much value in this as I have.

With regards to the lack of programming: Even for a rank amateur like myself it was not difficult to figure out what to do and it became even easier as I practiced the different movements and developed a feel for what they worked and where I struggled. Frankly I'm not sure I'd find a program all that helpful.

One other thing I find helpful with both is the coaching cues that accompany each movement. You have the video and explanation showing you how to execute them correctly and what purpose it serves but along with that you have common errors made in each movement. This has really helped me get the movements down correctly.

If anyone has any questions I'll do my best to answer them but to make a long story short: If you're relatively new to dynamic stretching, or proper warm ups I would recommend getting both.

Steve Shafley 05-23-2007 04:44 PM

I was a bit underwhelmed with both products, though I recognize that they are probably going to be useful to many people. I think it was Ron Nelson here who found some nice fixes for his problems using the Mag Mob exercises...the value accrues to those who get value from the product.

I'm really struck by how much old stuff is now new.

Back in 1986 this was my wrestling warm-up in high school.

-jumping jacks
-bodyweight squats
-push ups
-neck bridges
-lunges across the mat
-divebomber push ups
-handwalking across the mat
-inverted rows (holding onto your partners hands)
-burpees

Very dynamic and you were ready to go afterwards