Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Olympic Weightlifting (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Some personal milestones... (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1117)

Elliot Royce 06-03-2007 03:48 PM

Some personal milestones...

I hope people don't mind but I wanted to share some recent PRs because I've gone from nothing to these in 6 months of work with Gary Valentine. His method is to work on the components individually and also together. Still bringing a lot together but the progress is encouraging:

Pull - 160kg (1RM after 10 previous reps at lower weight)
Front squat - 116kg (1RM after 30 reps)
Jerk - 95kg (20th rep on a 20 rep progression)
C&J - 90kg (still hard to bring it all together since I can power clean what I can clean)

I've been going up quickly in the squats because I've finally gotten the depth down. Up 7kg in 3 days this week. I know it's beginner's progress but I'll take it anyway.

I've got to say that 160kg feels like a lot of weight. I can't imagine how strong I'd need to be to C&J that much weight although Gary tells me that when you jump under it, it's easier. Still having that much weight overhead is a mega accomplishment.

Now snatches are another story. Still working in the 40ks and 50ks.

Yuen Sohn 06-03-2007 05:32 PM

Great Going!

Great going so far! Very cool to see your hard work and consistency paying off.

Keep up the good work!

Derek Simonds 06-03-2007 05:35 PM

Elliot you are the man. I love to hear about other peoples progress.

I am slightly ahead of you on the snatch but way behind on the C and J. I am about 60 days into my O-Lift journey. Ross found some links to some O-Lift gyms in my area and when I get back from vacation (yes I am leaving on Thursday for the Keys) I am going to go check them out and see where I fit.

I know you have struggled with flexibility so it is great to hear about your progress on the squats.

Keep Rocking!

Elliot Royce 06-03-2007 05:51 PM

Thank guys....I was looking for some encouragement and you gave it! It's not like my co-workers would be impressed by my O-lifting accomplishments!

Derek - I understand that some coaches start with the snatch and other with the clean. I guess we end up meeting in the middle at some point!

Mike ODonnell 06-03-2007 06:00 PM

Great job Elliot! Very impressive....how's the hockey going?

Allen Yeh 06-04-2007 04:35 AM

Awesome numbers! I need to get to work on my front squat, you're starting to catch up to me!

Robb Wolf 06-04-2007 06:21 AM

right on Elliot!
If you can add a kg every week or two for a year or two...things start looking very good!
keep us posted.

John Alston 06-04-2007 10:35 AM

Good work man! Keep it up!

Rick Deckart 06-04-2007 10:45 AM

Good job! Apparently you are in good hands with Gary Valentine.

Jonathan Owen 06-17-2007 02:45 AM

Very nice! I am pretty much in the same boat. Started O-lifting about 6-7 months ago, with the help of a former competitive lifter from maine. Actually, my first competition will be in August at your gym in Connecticut I believe. I'm excited to get out there for the first time, even with my very unimpressive lifts. Keep up the hard work!