Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Olympic Weightlifting (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Sets / Reps and Rest (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1129)

Derek Simonds 06-06-2007 07:00 AM

Sets / Reps and Rest

I have been playing around with my sets / reps / rest during my O-Lift training and have a couple of questions. Here is what I did today all weight in Lb's so I don't get credit for more weight than I deserve :D.

Snatch 45 X 3, 65 X 3, 70 X 3, 75 X 3, 80 X 3, 85 X 3, 90 X 1, M, 1, 1, 1
Clean and Jerk 90 X 3, 115 X 1, 1, 1, 125 X 1, 1, 135 X 1, 1

Burgener warm up, 22 Snatches and 10 C and J's took me almost 1 hour exactly.

Questions:

1) How much time do you take between reps? I think in competition if you miss it there is a minimum of 1 minute before you can try again. Once the weight starts to get heavy do you wait at least a minute before you go again?

2) In an article I read from USAW it talked about WFW doing 20 / 10 snatches and cleans. This seemed like a good number so I worked towards that. How do you guys split up your snatches versus cleans?

3) Do you ever train the lifts separately? I know in competition the lifts are always contested together.

4) When doing triples at lighter weights do you reset completely between each rep. What I mean is I do the lift, put the weight down, step back take a breath, grab the bar reset and do it again 2 more times. This whole process takes a couple of minutes for me to do 3 reps.

Rick Deckart 06-06-2007 07:08 AM

1) depends, usually with weights below 85% I lift on the minute but when I feel that I need extra rest I will take it, even if it means to rest for two or three minutes.

2) Currently my focus in on the snatch, I will do one session with snatch and squats, one session with snatch and clean and jerk and one session with clean and jerk and squats. I had good success with drill sessions inbetween, things like 8 sets of doubles or 5 sets of triples, or 12--15 singles with a light weight.

3)Yes

4)No, but i will probably do rep two and three from the hang, because it is less taxing, at least for me.

Rick Deckart 06-06-2007 08:54 AM

perhaps you should use straps for triple snatches, these keep the grip out of the equation. I never got straps to work with cleans though...

Greg Everett 06-06-2007 12:31 PM

1) 1-5 minutes. If you're 2 wks or so out from a meet, you can limit to 1-2 minutes for some conditioning. But basically you want to be as recovered as possible for each rep. This is neurological training--rushing is counterproductive.

2) 20/10 is arbitrary. Do what works for you. Personally I can do a lot of snatches, but CJs take the starch out of my britches quickly. So I take smaller jumps in the snatch and bigger in the CJ. It's going to depend on how much you're lifting, where in a cycle you are, etc. If you're snatching 60% and CJing 95%, you're probably not going to be doing twice as many CJs than snatches. Again, experiment and see what works for you.

3) Very commn to have one day be focused on a single lift. So a snatch day may literally be only snatches, or it may be snatch-related exercises like snatch balance, muscle snatch, OHS, etc. Again, whether or not you do this depends on a lot of things. Another thing you can do is have a focus day but still do the other lift light and low volume. So snatch heavy, CH light and only a few singles one day, then the opposite another day. See number 2 regarding experimentation.

4) When doing multiple reps, yes, reset for each. The point is quality repetition, not just repetition. It's not aerobics class. Don't rest too long--just long enough to set up each rep as you need to.