Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Fitness, Strength & CrossFit (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   seasonal cycling (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=122)

Yael Grauer 10-25-2006 11:12 AM

seasonal cycling

I was wondering if anybody's tried the whole Lights Out-ish gymnastics and Oly lifting in the fall/winter, metcon metcon metcon in the spring/summer thing? If so, what did your training schedule look like on a normal week for both cycles?

Robb Wolf 10-25-2006 01:38 PM

Scotty Hagnas wrote aobut this in a past PM.

Yael Grauer 10-25-2006 01:43 PM

Nice! Which issue?

Ron Wilhelm 11-02-2006 12:59 PM

I think Robb is referring to Scotty's IF journal in issue 17.

Scotty Hagnas 11-02-2006 11:10 PM

I've had good luck with this. However, I'll admit to not ever going very high carb, even in the sumer. The feeling just sucks after the steady energy from low carb and IF.

Heavy lifts and difficult gymnastic stuff in the cold months, kick up the met con in the warmer ones. Little to no fruit in the winter, a little more in the summer. Some squash, etc. in the fall and winter. A little more sat. fat in the fall, when natural protein sources would have had higher BF levels.

Scotty Hagnas
CrossFit Portland

Yael Grauer 11-03-2006 08:57 AM

Nice! I try to eat with the seasons...more raw food and fruit in the summer (which you have to do around these parts to survive), more cooked and fatty food in the winter, eating seasonal fruits and veggies, etc. I used to be really into Elson Haas's book "Staying Healthy With the Seasons" and "Staying Healthy With Nutrition"--the diet by the letter needs way more MEAT but the principles are good.

So what did your workout schedule look like? Did you just alternate between weights and gymnastics every other day on a 3-on-1-off cycle? Did you throw any metcon into the mix at all? It seems like it'd be good to throw some metcon into the winter months, just not as much. Also, in the warmer months I'm assuming you still did lifts and gymnastics, so what did it look like then?

Scotty Hagnas 11-06-2006 12:45 PM

Yael-

It varied a little, but often I used the 3 on 1 off. Strength day 1, gymnastics day 2, O-lifts and possibly met-con day 3. Yes, I continued to do some met con work all year, but lower frequency and volume.

In the spring/summer, I still did a lot of strength and gymnastics work. How much? You'll have to experiment, but enough not to loose ground.

I'm going to work with a little different schedule this year. With a more than full time job, plus running CF Portland, and the long commute from my mountain top compound to the city - my available training time is pretty limited. I am going to train m,t, th, and f. A short session of gymnastics and movement drills in the afternoon at home, strength and any met-con in the pm at the gym. Day 1 will be more strength holds and quick lifts, day 2 presses and pulls and more grinding lifts.

Scotty Hagnas
CrossFit Portland