Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Equipment (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Single-speeds (and fixed-gears) (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1274)

Chris Forbis 07-05-2007 06:09 PM

Single-speeds (and fixed-gears)

So I finally got my Redline 925 single-speed commuter bike in today (picture below). The 60 cm frame that I needed was out of stock so it has been on backorder since the middle of May.

The nice thing about the 925 is it can be run as single-speed OR a fixed-gear. Right now I have it setup as a single-speed and plan on trying it as a fixed-gear at some point in the future.

I had not ridden any bike since my old Murray two-speed that I got rid of around age 15. I rode the Redline up to work (time of the commute is almost exactly the same as by automobile) and around the neighborhood where I live. Tons of fun. I'm really happy with the purchase. I've got 5-6 weeks left of summer to get some miles on it. It seems like it will serve as pretty good metcon, as we have decent hills around here. I have a feeling I'm soon going to be lusting after a Redline Monocog (their mountain SS model).

Any body else ride SS or fixie here?

Sam Lepore 07-06-2007 05:06 AM

Hey Chris--

I am a Mountain Biker and just recently bought a Niner. 29" wheels.(www.ninerbikes.com) It is geared and I love it. I have friends that ride Single Speed and will NEVER go back to geared. I have a feeling I will be going SS next summer. :D

I ride in Wissahickon Park in Philly. Probably some of the best and technical trails you will find in a large city (still within city limits) in the country. It is has some hills that are truly mind blowing. You will never breath this hard. These guys on the SS's ride the hills with NO Problem and in most cases are faster than the geared guys.

Enjoy the new bike Chris. Get a Mountain Bike. Look into the 29er's. It kicked my training to the next level...big time.

Garrett Smith 07-06-2007 06:05 AM

Chris,
I have been a fixie junkie ever since I converted an old thick-tube Cannondale.

I have no interest in gears. I'd rather walk/run.

In the future I may get a SS mountain bike...

Robert Allison 07-06-2007 07:06 AM

My brother in-law has a SS mountain bike. I had the opportunity to give it a spin on a couple of occasions, and it was fairly brutal. Where I live (Western NC), the trails can be pretty steep.

I am pretty sure I could work up to SS, but if you're not used to that style of riding, it feels like you're losing a lung. Having said all of that, I am still looking at picking up a SS sometime next year.

Mike ODonnell 07-06-2007 09:15 AM

I have a trek 4500 MTB bike that is 7 years old....snapped the derailer off while riding a year ago (thank goodness the tree softened my crash landing)...so brought it to the bike shop and had it converted to a SS for $15 and now love it....the best part are the faces of people on the trails when I go buy and then they see a single speed single suspension bike whooping their ass on a hill as they wonder how come their $2000 dual suspension bike doesnt go as fast.....then again I really wouldnt mind some disc brakes to keep my forearms from going numb....

I did a road duathalon on my MTB a few years back when I had gears.....yeah, a whole slew of people on light skinny tires road bikes and then my 36lb beast with fat tires....was just for fun....but I crushed them on the hills....and then watched them blow past me at 50mph down the hill as I just sat there and ate pretzels since my gears aren't made for over 25mph...overall not a smart idea but makes for great stories......which pretty much sums up my life...

Garrett Smith 07-06-2007 09:41 AM

Fastest I've had my fixie up to is ~35 mph...crazy leg pumping going on!

Yvana van den Hork 07-06-2007 10:02 AM

Since I'm Dutch.. hell yeah, did I have a single-speed! Nowadays less common than they used to be, but it was my favourite bike for short stints. Easy here with the flat roads.
I only had a fixed gear as a kid and that's how I learnt to cycle when I kept falling over with a normal bike.

Used to have 2 single speed bikes at one time for a double commute: home to/from railway station and railway station to/from work. One got stolen , the other got vandalized and I bought a Brompton folding bicycle (5 gear, now 6). Also have a 24-gear touring bike.

For use in winter and/or when you don't like a lot of maintenance, single speed is the way to go. Plus.. single speeds can have better chain protection so you can even wear skirts or dresses on the women's bike. At least that's what we do.

Mike ODonnell 07-06-2007 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yvana van den Hork (Post 15692)
Since I'm Dutch.. hell yeah, did I have a single-speed! Nowadays less common than they used to be, but it was my favourite bike for short stints. Easy here with the flat roads.
I only had a fixed gear as a kid and that's how I learnt to cycle when I kept falling over with a normal bike.

Must be a pain with those wooden shoes and all......:D

Mark Fenner 07-06-2007 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam Lepore (Post 15675)
Hey Chris--

I ride in Wissahickon Park in Philly. Probably some of the best and technical trails you will find in a large city (still within city limits) in the country. It is has some hills that are truly mind blowing.

For the sake of intra-state rivalry, Frick Park in Pittsburgh also has some ridiculously nice riding for being in the center of an urban area.

Go Steelers! Boo Eagles! *chuckle*

Regards,
Mark

Dave Van Skike 07-06-2007 10:54 AM

..Have messengered on fixies, trained gobs of miles and raced track..Just built up a single speed mnt. bike to ride with a buddy who is training for SS cyclocross. It's a Fetish..was dirt cheeeep.it's kind of fun. limiting for any real epic mnt. biking in my neck o the woods, most of the climbs here are two hours plus to get anywhere good.