Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Community & Events (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Great workout (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=166)

Scott Kustes 11-06-2006 04:05 PM

Great workout

I discovered a great workout last night. I went and played touch football with a bunch of people and was the fastest guy there. Now that's great while playing as you get to touch the ball alot. However, I was probably involved in 75 offensive plays in the two games we played...because of my speed, at least half of those were "Scott, go deep!" and entailed 30-40 yard sprints (unfortunately the QBs can't deliver a ball over 15 yards very well). For the record, I can barely walk today. My hip flexors and hamstrings are screaming from all the sprinting and my obliques hurt from all the changing directions (coughing sucks today!). To top it off, I have a desk job, so after sitting for 30 minutes, getting up to walk again is an agonizing effort. I can't wait to play again on Sunday!

Ice or heat therapy for this?

Greg Everett 11-06-2006 04:24 PM

ice bath!

Chris Forbis 11-06-2006 04:38 PM

I did this back in September with a bunch of my high school students. I was the fastest one as well, so I hear you on running lots of the "go deep" patterns. The nice thing was that they didn't want to challenge me on defense, so I didn't have a whole lot of work to do on that side of the ball.

Luckily I do lots of sprint training or otherwise I imagine I would have been in similar agony to you.

Ken Urakawa 11-07-2006 05:34 AM

I feel your pain (literally). I just got back playing Soccer after about a 2 year layoff (kids, starting a business, friends quit playing, etc.).

The problem is I'm fit enough to run pretty hard for 90 minutes, but I'm not used to sprinting that long, so my hamstrings (especially knee flexors) are just getting abused. Just had game #4 Sunday, and I'm feeling a little better than the last few weeks--I'm cautiously optimistic that I'll be walking on Mondays in a few more weeks.

Scott Kustes 11-07-2006 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Urakawa (Post 852)
The problem is I'm fit enough to run pretty hard for 90 minutes, but I'm not used to sprinting that long, so my hamstrings (especially knee flexors) are just getting abused.

Exactly! I do some sprint training and it's going to get cranked up here soon to prep for the July competition. The drawback of CrossFit I suppose. I had no problem going b*lls-to-the-wall on every play, but I had a feeling I was going to feel it yesterday since my hip flexors were starting to give it to me during the game. I'm just lucky the guy I was covering on defense didn't want to go out for passes and the quarterback wasn't up for challenging me. He had plenty of open guys.

No access to an ice bath (I'm in a hotel and wasn't gonna go back and forth to the ice machine 17 times), but a nice long contrast shower and 10 hours of sleep last night worked wonders. Now I only feel like I was mildly abused instead of feeling like I was gang raped (I can only imagine how that feels *knocks on wood*).

Dan Snyder 11-07-2006 10:00 AM

It's interesting that more short sprints (20-100m, shuttle-type runs, etc.) aren't prescribed in the WOD more often. I'll have to add them in mine, slowly of course (I'd really like minimize the gang rape effect too). I don't mean to hijack this thread, but are folks out there doing this type of work in their WODs?

Robb Wolf 11-07-2006 01:18 PM

We've shifted to a specific day of training like this. It's nasty!

Scott Kustes 11-07-2006 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robb Wolf (Post 878)
We've shifted to a specific day of training like this. It's nasty!

What types of workouts do you do to incorporate the short runs? I'd like to get some of them into my workout. You can tell me about it here or fly me out to Chico for a week of training at Norcal....your choice (may I lobby for option b though?). I guess you could also not tell me anything...that would be option c.

Jennifer conlin 11-08-2006 06:53 AM

sprints

At the park I do a ton of sprinting.
4 pullups on the goal post sprint to the the other end of soccer field
4 more pullups.
4 rounds for time
Another one

med ball toss full soccer field
sprint back
sandbag carry full field
sprint back
KB toss full field
sprint back
repeat 4 times.
I would put a photo up but I'm not savvy enough to figure that out!

Robb Wolf 11-08-2006 01:55 PM

I think I'll hold out for an option D. Or Not! We just go to the CSU-Chico track on Fridays and mix things up. Lst time it was 4x200m with ~4min rest between efforts. then 3x100m.

Some days it is bounding up the stadium stairs, jumps, hops etc. followed by 100's or 200's. Each day has been differnet and it seriously kicks my fanny.

You are BTW ALWAYS invited to hang in Chico!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Kustes (Post 885)
What types of workouts do you do to incorporate the short runs? I'd like to get some of them into my workout. You can tell me about it here or fly me out to Chico for a week of training at Norcal....your choice (may I lobby for option b though?). I guess you could also not tell me anything...that would be option c.