Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Nutrition (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   IF implementation (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19)

Andy Deas 10-13-2006 08:55 AM

IF implementation

I have been following the Zone Diet for the past year with great results. I am intrigued by the IF concept, but wonder about the implementation for those of us who typically workout in the early evening. Most of the folks that I know who are experimenting with IF typically workout first thing in the morning, eat the day's worth of food over the next 4-6 hours, and then fast until the next day. I worry about working out until 7-8 pm and then trying to cram 4000 calories into my system over the next 2 hours prior to going to bed. Any advice or thoughts on potential implementation you could offer would be helpful.

Robb Wolf 10-13-2006 09:38 AM

I see two potential ways to handle this. The first one involves eating most of your calories prior to training and then save one final meal for post workout. The other option is to consume ALL your meals pre workout and fast until the next day.

So the first option might look like: First meal starts 11:00-13:00 range. Eat up until 17:00 so you will have time to clear your stomach and have a decent level of workout intensity. Have a post workout meal immediately following training. If you are trying to gain muscle and or are not doing high intensity metabolic conditioning then you can start your feeding more towards 13:00-14:00 and eat right up to your training session.

The second option simply involves not eating after training, just use one of the above methods but get all your meals in prior to training. If you are trying to lean out this may be a good option.

I think mixing these two approaches could have its benefits also. Be flexible and experiment. Tweak things in a way that makes sense considering your goals. If you try the post workout fast and find you are not recovering from training…don’t do it! As always performance and body composition should improve. Give it a week or two to completely assess your response and then fiddle from there.

Keep us posted on your progress. If you want to share your specific goals I might be able to offer more guidance.

Andy Deas 10-13-2006 09:39 AM

I appreciate the feedback. As far as goals go I am mostly trying to add muscle. I'm about 6'4" and weigh in at about 215 pounds. I am currently eating 18 blocks per day at about 3x fat. I think 18 blocks is probably on the low end, but I tend to easily put on body fat each time I try upping my blocks. Any further guidance would be appreciated, but it sounds like I could start with the first option you presented and experiment from there.

Robb Wolf 10-13-2006 09:39 AM

I would certainly step up your blocks. Add 2 blocks stick at that level for 2 weeks then add 2 etc. Keep an eye on performance and the mirror. If you start adding too much fat, particularly in the midsection, try using 3/4 the recommended carb blocks and make up the difference with fat. Keep your eyes peeled for the June Performance Menu as we tackle the topic of muscle gain.

Andy Deas 10-13-2006 09:39 AM

Awesome - I will begin to up my blocks and see how my body responds. Thanks for the input! I'll keep my eye out for the next PM issue.