Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Olympic Weightlifting (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Power Cleans......oh boy (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2091)

Arden Cogar Jr. 02-12-2008 01:56 PM

Power Cleans......oh boy
 
hello All,
I know I started a wicked long thread that several commented on over on xfit on squat cleans. I've been drilling the heck out of myself the past few months and I'm getting better, but I'm a complete work in progress.

I've been battling a flu recently, so this was my first workout in six days. I was working on my power cleans. Last week, before I got sick, I finally figured out how to jump with the weight from the power position. I was so pysched. I couldn't believe I'd never done it before.

In any event, at this stage, I'm working on getting fast and getting the weight up as quick as I can. Exploding. Speed. To that end, I'm getting more comfortable with the rack. So I taped todays cleans. 200 for 4 sets of 4.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8t38J-yYS4

My initial reactions are
1. scare that omentum. Keep the bar closer to my big gut longer and really jump with that weight.
2. bend the knees more on the third pull or when I recieve the bar.
3. stop the stall at the beginning of the second pull. Didn't even realize i was doing it until I slowed down the play on the video.

Just wanted some thoughts from those much more learned than me. Just want to keep the course.

All the best,
Arden

Gant Grimes 02-12-2008 02:25 PM

I'm too distracted by the guy wearing a weight belt and doing barbell tricep extensions.

Your form is coming along. Others will have better advice than I, but it looks like your arms are moving slow when moving into the rack. This may be because the weight is so light for you that your arms don't have to move fast.

Greg Everett 02-13-2008 03:40 PM

I'd like to see your weight a little farther back on your feet as you pull - you jump forward slightly on most reps.

Also, I'd like to see the pull smoothed out a bit through the middle. You have a very distinct pause between the 1st and 2nd pull - that can get exaggerated as you get heavier and become a real problem. There will obviously be acceleration through that ROM, but I'd like it to be less jerky.

Arden Cogar Jr. 02-13-2008 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Everett (Post 26157)
I'd like to see your weight a little farther back on your feet as you pull - you jump forward slightly on most reps.

Also, I'd like to see the pull smoothed out a bit through the middle. You have a very distinct pause between the 1st and 2nd pull - that can get exaggerated as you get heavier and become a real problem. There will obviously be acceleration through that ROM, but I'd like it to be less jerky.

Thank you so much. Those all sound like perfect things to do
1) weight more toward heels on pulls
2) smooth and continually increasing speed on the way up - no pausing.

I'll work on that. Hope to report soon.

All the best,
Arden

Arden Cogar Jr. 02-13-2008 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gant Grimes (Post 26099)
I'm too distracted by the guy wearing a weight belt and doing barbell tricep extensions.

Your form is coming along. Others will have better advice than I, but it looks like your arms are moving slow when moving into the rack. This may be because the weight is so light for you that your arms don't have to move fast.

Thanks Gant,
Quick elbows. Got to remember that!!!! Thanks.

The guy with the belt doing the dumbell tricep extension is a good friend. He is on the list for spinal fusion and has four herniated discs in his lumbar region. He's lost forty pounds in eight months with the hope that it would relieve tension on his lumbar. It hasn't. But he's continuing the course. He's a great guy.

All the best,
Arden

Yuen Sohn 02-13-2008 07:14 PM

Arden,
I must say: your 2nd pull, shoulder flexibility/rack position, and especially receiving stance has come a long way from the videos you first posted a few months back. Not that they were bad or anything, but it looks like you've made some significant improvement. Great work!

Arden Cogar Jr. 02-14-2008 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yoon Sohn (Post 26168)
Arden,
I must say: your 2nd pull, shoulder flexibility/rack position, and especially receiving stance has come a long way from the videos you first posted a few months back. Not that they were bad or anything, but it looks like you've made some significant improvement. Great work!


Thanks so much Yoon,
I'm very OCD about physical performance. It's the way I've been my entire life. I've done the same thing with my sport/hobby and I keep on trying to make my technique even better.

Eventually, I'll get the oly lifts. But it's going to be a long road to hoe. Several years of power bodybuilding is going to take a long time to beat out of me. I'm very pleased to have come as far as I have. And I'm confident I can continue the development.

All the best,
Arden

Gant Grimes 02-15-2008 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arden Cogar Jr. (Post 26161)
The guy with the belt doing the dumbell tricep extension is a good friend. He is on the list for spinal fusion and has four herniated discs in his lumbar region. He's lost forty pounds in eight months with the hope that it would relieve tension on his lumbar. It hasn't. But he's continuing the course. He's a great guy.

Well now I feel like an ass. In that light, I applaud him for his efforts.

Has he tried inversion tables?

Arden Cogar Jr. 02-16-2008 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gant Grimes (Post 26246)
Well now I feel like an ass. In that light, I applaud him for his efforts.

Has he tried inversion tables?

No worries Gant!!!

He's tried a lot of stuff. Eight years ago, he was about 220; big, strong, and really sorta power lifter fit. He had injured his back a long time ago, but didn't realize how severe it was until he was squatting and something just didn't feel right. Doc told him to stop working out. He told the doc, "you're fulla shit." - that's a quote. In any event, he lightened everything up and has already gone about four years beyond what the doc said he would in regards to when he would need surgery. In reality, he's just prolonging when he has to go under the knife.

He still deadlifts and squats really light. He wears the belt non stop. He also uses one of those rehband wraps when he does those movements.

I love inversion tables. However, I usally end up using my boots on my power cage at home. Actually got my phat arse stuck one time and my wife had to help me down. That was pretty funny to her. :D I now put my woody bands on the cage to assist me on my way up.

All the best,
Arden


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:01 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.