Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Equipment (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   $50 at Sports Authority... WWGED? (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2475)

Yael Grauer 05-13-2008 10:57 PM

$50 at Sports Authority... WWGED?

Okay, I managed to score a $50 gift card to Sports Authority. Drove down, asked them if they had abmats, no go. Asked them if they had rings, no go. Asked them if they had bands for pullup assistance, nada. Looked for Nike Frees, nope. So all they had that I was mildly interested in was a pullup bar (but I think I'd rather save up for rings since I can't even do a pullup yet), some special pullup handle thingies (not sure how necessary this is) and some watches. Then I started looking at Timex but of course they were expensive.

I do grappling and sometimes Muay Thai at this great MMA gym I go to, and they have all the equipment I need for my regular weight training too (which is from the New Rules of Lifting For Women), and I already have a med ball etc. so can't think of anything I really need/want other than the things they don't have. (They do have hex dumbbells and kettlebells, but I'd rather wait and get more and better elsewhere.)

Any suggestions? Anyone familiar with their wares?

Let me know if you have ideas before I spend all my money on pink Under Armour shirts.

Allen Yeh 05-14-2008 03:32 AM

Ha, the first thing I thought was clothes?

I haven't been to a Sports Authority in a long time and looking at how I workout now I can't think of what I'd get there other than workout clothes. Most of the stuff I'd want you can only get online.

Sorry this isn't much help!

Derek Simonds 05-14-2008 04:14 AM

Allen is dead on in regards to workout stuff. I would use it for fishing or camping gear.

How do you like the NROL for Women? I bought it for my wife and she has started reading it and using some of the stuff.

Leo Soubbotine 05-14-2008 05:47 AM

Gant will kick my ass for saying this:

I'd buy me some board shorts!

John Alston 05-14-2008 06:28 AM

yoga/stretch mat, athletic tape, ab wheel, resistance bands, pullup bar (how better to learn to do one than when you have it in your face at home every day?)... that's all I can think of besides apparel, which can be fun.

Mike ODonnell 05-14-2008 06:51 AM

Get some UA sandals....most comfortable things I wear all day during the summers....

Yael Grauer 05-14-2008 06:54 AM

They did have chalk, which is cool. I already have an ab wheel, but I'm weak!! lol. I looked at the resistance bands but put 'em back on the shelf...

Dave Paton 05-14-2008 06:54 AM

Is this the Sports Authority on Kolb and Broadway??? Ha!

Anyway, I've been there several times and I recommend the ab wheel. that's where i got mine. other items i have bought there are Nike dri-fit socks, under armour t shirts and spandex shorts. I hope you're not wearing cotton while rolling on the mat!!!!

Yael Grauer 05-14-2008 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek Simonds (Post 31052)
How do you like the NROL for Women? I bought it for my wife and she has started reading it and using some of the stuff.

I like it because it starts off super easy and I'm going to be really ramping up my MMA over the summer, so it's perfect.

John Alston 05-14-2008 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yael Grauer (Post 31063)
They did have chalk, which is cool. I already have an ab wheel, but I'm weak!! lol. I looked at the resistance bands but put 'em back on the shelf...

I have some cheap resistance bands that totally fix up my back if I use them to do goodmornings with. Every time. Just low resistance, a few sets of 8-12, nice arch, and everything in there is dandy, whether it was from boxing in the past or lifting more recently.