Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Fitness, Strength & CrossFit (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   gymnastics books? (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2562)

Donald Lee 06-03-2008 12:25 AM

gymnastics books?

Since Coach Sommer's book doesn't seem to be coming out, does anyone know of any good gymnastics books that put everything together, including stretching, etc.? Or is just searching through the internet the best bet? The internet has a lot of info, but i'd prefer a book with everything in it instead of having to read a ton of articles from all over the place.

Blair Lowe 06-03-2008 02:30 AM

There are some good video sets from American Gymnast and GymSmarts, but I'm not sure if you care about all events, men's and women's or principally strength training/physical preparation and phasing.

Most of the gymnastics material out there is either specialized by event or skill, gender. From the books I've seen there isn't anything you're looking for. There is some very specialized stuff about scientific studies and the physics involved or it so very broad and basic it is only good to a beginning or intermediate coach and generally only covering those levels. Very few will go over progressions per skill instead just listing off a skill with perhaps cues to mastery.

Taking a look at what's on the web, I can't find anything bookwise and I'm not sure if the available video series are what you are looking for. Wait and hope for Coach Sommer's book.

Garrett Smith 06-03-2008 07:20 AM

Free online U.S. Navy Gymnastics & Tumbling, reprinted in a CFJ.

www.american-gymnast.com
www.beastskills.com
www.gymnasticbodies.com
www.drillsandskills.com

Back issues of CFJ and PMenu.

With all of those, plus some hands-on real coaching when you need it, you've got plenty to work with for a very low price.

Steven Low 06-03-2008 08:48 AM

What are you looking for?

S&C or skill training?

Each of them are pretty distinct in some ways.. well at least skill training is more towards working the various skills. S&C does have some skill components that are extremely important to develop like all kinds of press handstands and such things, but may not always be developing skill components rather flexibility and strength for stuff like on rings.. and then conditioning for doing their 4+ hours practices.

There's tons of stuff currently out on skill techniques even in books. Just gotta find them. Not so much on the S&C aspect of it which is more of what Coach Sommer's stuff is getting towards.

Donald Lee 06-03-2008 09:56 PM

I was thinking more in terms of progressions in order to be able to do the planche, levers, etc., but not as ends in themselves, but just for s&c.

Steven Low 06-03-2008 10:14 PM

Yeah, there's not much out on that besides the customary Coach Sommer stuff and things from drillsandskills. Some from the links provided above.

I mean, some people here can give you progressions but there's not much reading about it unfortunately.

Donald Lee 06-03-2008 10:26 PM

do you suggest i only work on specific progressions for them, or should i also do other things on rings, etc. that strengthen my body for those movements? i'm thinking of doing something similar to grant's hybrid program, so i don't know how much gymnastics specific strength training i'd do besides the gymnastics progressions for the planche, etc.

Steven Low 06-03-2008 10:49 PM

Yep, learn and do as much as you can. Making up a ring routine like in Gant's post is a great idea. Also, doing dynamic movements to help build up strength is good. All of these will be used in conjunction with isometrics to help you progress.

Coach Sommer 08-03-2008 11:22 AM

My original intention was to make Building the Gymnastic Body available in an e-book format. However unresolvable security issues derailed this plan; a quick google search will show that all of Pavel's e-books have been pirated and are available for free on the internet.

Building the Gymnastic Body is currently at the printer and will be available shortly.

Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer

Valentin Uzunov 08-03-2008 03:35 PM

Ohh wicked!! thanks coach sommer. This is great.
Good idea, and i personally thinking printed books are much better than e-books (even though the complication of the whole security thing is such a pain)

Valentin Uzunov
TheGymPress
www.thegympress.net