Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Olympic Weightlifting (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Deadlift Problem (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2601)

Eric Lundell 06-14-2008 11:48 AM

Deadlift Problem

The last few times that I've deadlifted, I've been getting the weight up and past my knees very strong and controlled, however when I get to the area above my knees where my quads begin the bar is "getting stuck" on my quads and its causing disruption in my lift. Its frustrating because my strength is allowing me to reaching new PR's but the sticking point is countering my progress. I was also almost flagged at the East Coast CF games during the Total due to the sticking point and not having a fluid lift.

I know it is near impossible to correct something that you haven't seen in person, but does anyone have experience with this or any suggestions?

Dave Van Skike 06-14-2008 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Lundell (Post 32685)
The last few times that I've deadlifted, I've been getting the weight up and past my knees very strong and controlled, however when I get to the area above my knees where my quads begin the bar is "getting stuck" on my quads and its causing disruption in my lift. Its frustrating because my strength is allowing me to reaching new PR's but the sticking point is countering my progress. I was also almost flagged at the East Coast CF games during the Total due to the sticking point and not having a fluid lift.

I know it is near impossible to correct something that you haven't seen in person, but does anyone have experience with this or any suggestions?

can picture it easily. you need to work lockout, a lot of causes for this; poor form off the bottom getting too far over the bar like a clean, or weak points on the top like weak lats, weak traps etc....

you can fix it with rack pulls, halting dead lifts and pulls from blocks, bent rows will help as well.

once you solve it you'd get a big bump...then you'll need to work the bottom.

Adam Gagliardi 06-15-2008 12:54 PM

Not exactly a fix form-wise, but many PL-rs use baby powder on the thighs to help with this

Gant Grimes 06-16-2008 02:01 PM

Rack pulls, reverse hypers, and lower-heeled shoes.

Adam Gagliardi 06-17-2008 04:14 PM

good suggestions so far.. i would also second the DL in flat shoes, not oly shoes, unless your working on a clean or snatch DL...i would also suggest turning your feet out slightly, think 11 and 1, this should make it easier to pop your hips through...also try dimel DL's

Eric Lundell 06-17-2008 04:55 PM

Thanks for all the advise and pointers, I just have a question about rack pulls, is that setting a bar in the rack at just above knee height and completing the remainder of the deadlift from there to lockout?, As for the shoes, would deadlifting in just socks help?

Jay Cohen 06-17-2008 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Lundell (Post 32866)
Thanks for all the advise and pointers, I just have a question about rack pulls, is that setting a bar in the rack at just above knee height and completing the remainder of the deadlift from there to lockout?, As for the shoes, would deadlifting in just socks help?

If lifting alone, then just socks OK, if in gym or with others, I suggest sweats with cotton T shirt.......your call.

Derek Weaver 06-17-2008 08:31 PM

Haha,
That post made me "laugh out loud" Jay.

Eric,
For all of your questions, you can pretty much go to youtube and see a demo.
all vids w/f/s-
Here are a couple: 1) rack pull
2) dead from blocks