Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Equipment (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   My first "real" bar experience (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3185)

Jonathan Dunn 10-14-2008 08:08 PM

My first "real" bar experience

I just want to let everyone know that a good weightlifting bar makes a difference! I was in the camp of "a bar is a bar is a bar". Not so. I have been training with 32 mm powerbars since I began lifting many moons ago. These bars are strong, stiff and have minimal, if any, spin. I trained today on a Pendlay "CrossFit HD" Bar. WOW! The 28.5 mm bar is wonderful for hook grips. The knurling was great...not too grippy, not too smooth. There is a center knurled section on mine. The action was terrific, even with my light training weights. And spin, that marvelous spin! No wonder I have been battling lateral epicondylosis. The rotation of my elbows under the cleans were butter! The bar actually got away from me once while working on some cleans....it hit the floor with 200# and didn't even rattle, crash or twang. Just a mellow thud followed by a bounce and then quite.

Granted, I'm more than a little flush over this bar. I really can't imagine how much better an elite tier weightlifting bar would be, but I bet it is an absolutely amazing experience. I look forward to putting lots of sweat and chalk on this bar.

I hope that the following shout out to Jason Hughes at Wright Equipment in Birmingham, AL is cool. Class act all the way. He has lots of toys in their warehouse and (on my first visit to pick up bumpers) let me and my 2 boys test drive their rings, a sweet GHD bench custom built to their specs, a custom power rack built for local High Schools, Dynamax 20# med balls, etc......it's weightlifters dream. Thanks Jason.

Patrick Donnelly 10-14-2008 10:10 PM

I've not tried the Pendlay HD, but I feel similarly about my Pendlay Discount Bar.

http://patrickhdonnelly.blogspot.com...ar-review.html

Allen Yeh 10-15-2008 03:57 AM

I remember using the Eleiko at LBH and the difference was huge in comparison the the cheap bars they have the Bolling AFB.

Yuen Sohn 10-15-2008 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allen Yeh (Post 41058)
I remember using the Eleiko at LBH and the difference was huge in comparison the the cheap bars they have the Bolling AFB.

Yeah, if I recall correctly you were working in with me and we were using that rusty, slightly bent Eleiko with the skinny collars. That bar definitely has personality! While it doesn't get much love compared to the shinier ones there, it's by far my favorite barbell.

Jeff Yan 10-15-2008 02:42 PM

For the first few months my gym was open, all we had were those regular barbells that come pre-packaged with 300# iron sets (Body Solid and Cap). Then we got in some Pro Power bars from againfaster.com. They're just $150 barbells, but they're such an improvement--better spin, thinner shafts, bolts don't come loose, etc.

I keep toying with the idea of getting one of my own for home use, even though I have no space whatsoever to Olift.

Allen Yeh 10-15-2008 02:55 PM

As impractical as it may be I'd love to be able to get a bar and bring to to the gym for my own personal use. heh.

Jonathan Dunn 10-15-2008 06:26 PM

Allen,

Just ask the owner/ manager. You'll get a few stares walking around with "your" bar and bringing it in and out of the office, but its worth it! Just explain to the owner that it is not a powerlifting/curling/deadlifting/upright rowing/whatever bar but that it is specifically designed for Olympic lifting. After he stops laughing, I'll bet he'll agree. Especially after you "donate" some bumpers for general gym use. It will have to work for me until I can build a platform, get squat stands and a GHD. After that, I'll cancel my membership and lift in my back yard/driveway/garage. Hey, I've been doing my Crossfit stuff in the back yard during the Alabama summers that last 9 months out of the year, so why not do my lifting there as well.

Be strong!

Jonathan