Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Olympic Weightlifting (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Split snatch/c&j pointers (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3318)

Richard Vanmeerbeek 11-08-2008 10:46 AM

Split snatch/c&j pointers

Hi everyone,

I've been following the CA WOD for almost 12 weeks now with great succes but I tweaked something in my right knee last Monday and it prevents me from being in a squat position.

In an attempt to rest the knee, I've stopped all squatting and started practicing the split versions on both snatch and c&j and it doesn't bother my knee at all which is great. I just have a question about the pulling : is there a difference in the angle of the final pull between regular snatch/clean and the split versions ?

It's been a blur for my positionning, I often feel like the bar is a little too in front of me, so I'm not sure if it's because I have to pull it more backwards or is it because my jumping is off and making me lean back ? It seems to me like the final pulls should be identical and that I should catch it like a split jerk staying on the same spot, but I'm having doubts.

I'm going to start squatting again next week and stick to the splits a little longer, so I'd be happy to figure that one out a little better :)

Thank you in advance,

Rich

Derek Maffett 11-11-2008 03:15 PM

If I were you, I'd try looking at your problem in terms of how your snatch is comparing to a split jerk. Make sure you're pushing yourself into the right position which is torso inclined slightly forward to get the proper overhead lockout position. Back foot should hit slightly before the front so that you can push yourself into the proper position better. Get a video and look at your legs. Is your front shin inclined forward? That seems to encourage a backwards lean of the torso.

At least, that's assuming that all the basic components of the normal lifts apply to these variations as well (and Olympic lifting is fairly consistent).

Greg Everett 11-15-2008 11:26 PM

Pull should be the same - only difference is the receiving position. If I recall, you were having trouble with your weight shifting forward - if you're getting any of that with the split, you'll have the same problems, although you'll typically be able to save more lifts because of the broader base. So you may be letting yourself get pulled forward, or you may be not committing and getting under the bar deep enough to get your torso into position.

Richard Vanmeerbeek 11-16-2008 07:35 AM

Thank you for the pointers, the broader base definitely made it easier to make lifts but going deep under the bar was a problem. Luckily, I sorted out my knee and I'm back at the full lifts.

Greg, I had indeed problems with a forward jump on the snatch and followed your tips. Feels much more solid now, thanks a lot !