Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Nutrition (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Raw Food diet (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3484)

Trygve Lunde 12-11-2008 06:57 AM

Raw Food diet

Hello again :D
As always i have some question regarding food. This time its about the raw food diet style. Ive read alot about the diet on there sites and also their book. I find it really fasinating and maybe want to give it a try. But before i do i would like to hear some of your thaughts about this diet, why and why not start?

My goal is superior heath(would be nice to get rid of the asthma,allergy etc)
Superior energy so i can be the best i can be
And have around 6-8% bodyfat. Im around 10-12% now i think, and i dont want to loose the muscles i have now :)

George Mounce 12-11-2008 07:42 AM

I don't buy into the whole everything must be raw food diet, persay. Food naturally ripens and fermentation naturally occurs.

I tend to be more of the close to raw food. I eat my veggies steamed for the most part or raw, my fruit is raw, and my meats either smoked or medium-rare.

Now, going back, yes I've tried it. I lost both fat and muscle as I had to eat a ton of veggies and fruits. It is a lot of salad, and tends to put you towards vegetarian since unless you have sashimi brought around a lot, your protein is coming from plant sources or raw meat. I'm not a fan of raw meat, I don't mind raw fish though when prepared properly.

Trygve Lunde 12-11-2008 07:59 AM

how long where u on the raw food diet? did you experience any of the clear headed etc., beautifull skin and all other wonderfull stuff they say will happen :)

George Mounce 12-11-2008 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trygve Lunde (Post 45266)
how long where u on the raw food diet? did you experience any of the clear headed etc., beautifull skin and all other wonderfull stuff they say will happen :)

6 months. I've always been clear headed, so I'm not sure how that would work. My skin hasn't been bad in almost 16 years now - hormones and puberty did more to my complexion than anything I've ever eaten. I do also think the raw food diet lacks enough things to help healthy gut flora. I noticed a lot more gas. I think kefir and fish oil do more for my health than how raw my veggies are.

Chris Salvato 12-11-2008 08:42 AM

All those things that claim to be a part of the "raw diet" -- such as clear-headedness, increased focus, beautiful skin -- have also come about when many people switch to paleo.

I am with George on this one -- I think raw food is good but it doesn't necessarily have to be ALL raw ALL the time. I love undercooked meat -- but the thought of eating as much raw beef as I do cooked beef makes me kind of uneasy -- not that I think its unhealthy, I just don't think I would enjoy it as much.

The real issue here is an increase in the quality of food. Getting off breads and pastas will make you feel great whether you switch to all raw natural foods or paleo (which is all natural food, as well).

Notice the trend? Natural foods.

My 2.

Garrett Smith 12-11-2008 08:48 AM

Are you talking about a "raw" diet that includes meats or one that is vegan?

Most of the raw food info out there is on the vegan option...maybe that is good for short-term cleansing, not good at all long-term IMO.

Trygve Lunde 12-11-2008 11:36 AM

talking about the vegan stuff yeah, or raw meat i guess u can eat aswell but how does that?

sarena kopciel 12-11-2008 11:38 AM

When I read "raw food" I also tend to think all raw vegan. And for me, been there , done that for way over a year. Did the green juices, sprouted beans and grains, etc. I did lose some weight and such but my chol was high as was my blood sugar.

Personally, it was not good for me and very difficulty to do long term (although some do!). Now I eat mostly paleo (90%) and as for veggies, in the winter I prefer them steamed and eat far less RAW than in the warmer weather.

Chris Salvato 12-11-2008 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trygve Lunde (Post 45291)
talking about the vegan stuff yeah, or raw meat i guess u can eat aswell but how does that?

I agree with Dr. G on the long term benefits of the raw vegan approach...but again, just my opinion

Garrett Smith 12-11-2008 12:13 PM

More info on raw animal-food-including diets:
http://www.rawpaleodiet.org/rvaf-overview.html