Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Olympic Weightlifting (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Power shrugs from pins in rack - Tips (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3551)

Brian Lawyer 12-23-2008 08:58 AM

Power shrugs from pins in rack - Tips
 
Planning to do some power shrugs from the pins in squt rack tomorow. Any coaching cues?

What I have (know) so far:
*Set pins so bar sits on or above knee cap.
*Start with vertical shins.
*straightening up with you trunk into a shrug.
*make it explosive, i.e. try to rattle the weights at the top.

Background:
I would prefer to do them from the floor or off some boxes but my training program right now has me alternating between my garage (for bumper plates) and my globo gym (for using squat rack). The globo gym has those stupid octagonal plates which are not conducive to good form for any pulling exercise off the floor. Since I want to do Front Squats and Power shrugs in the same workout, I have to use glob equipment

Garrett Smith 12-23-2008 09:58 AM

Is there a training reason you are doing these from the pins instead of the hang? Especially if you are starting them at or above the knee cap?

Are power shrugs and clean pulls the same thing for you?

Brian Lawyer 12-23-2008 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garrett Smith (Post 46233)
Is there a training reason you are doing these from the pins instead of the hang? Especially if you are starting them at or above the knee cap?

Are power shrugs and clean pulls the same thing for you?

I believe they are the same thing. This is actually how my coach wanted me to do them, "Start off floor with verticle shins(knees slightly bent), clean grip then straightening up with you trunk into a shrug. "

But as I noted above, I am trying to work this into a globo gym workout so I hate doing any pulls from the floor with those stupid octagonal plates. So I thought I would start from pins. No special reason.....

Dave Van Skike 12-23-2008 10:21 AM

don't go as heavy as you think you can go..you can really farkle yourself with heavy surgs.

higher reps...

or..just do clean high pulls from hang

Brian Lawyer 12-23-2008 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Van Skike (Post 46235)
or..just do clean high pulls from hang

I checked out that video. So how do I do those appropriately. They appear to be something that if done wrong could be habit forming of pulling with arms on cleans. On cleans I thought arms are just supposed to be pieces of rope connecting the shoulders to bar...

Dave Van Skike 12-23-2008 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Lawyer (Post 46257)
I checked out that video. So how do I do those appropriately. They appear to be something that if done wrong could be habit forming of pulling with arms on cleans. On cleans I thought arms are just supposed to be pieces of rope connecting the shoulders to bar...

i don't know. work from hang tends to help my second and third pull rather than hurt it. howevah, i'm not an oly guy and my traps are not particularly huge.

Garrett Smith 12-23-2008 03:17 PM

If you're training for OL and your coach wanted you to do "power shrugs", you probably want to stick with those (aka clean pulls).

If you do OL for competition, you either want to do pulls or just clean the dang thing.

High pulls are cool, but you're right that there is a good possibility of training bad habits for an OLer.

Brian Lawyer 12-25-2008 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Van Skike (Post 46235)
..you can really farkle yourself with heavy surgs.

Hey Dan, Can you elaborate more. I don't want to f' my shoulders up...

Anyways, I opted to just stick with my original plan. I set pins so bar was about even with knee maybe just above. Started with vertical shins, and extended torso into full upright shrug with ankle extension. Then back to pins. As Coach everett recommends in his book, I never hold at top. I tried to make each rep explosive so the weights rattled on the bar at the top

I did 2 sets of 5 with 225
then 1 set of 5 with 245.

They seemed all right.

Dave Van Skike 12-25-2008 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Lawyer (Post 46387)
Hey Dan, Can you elaborate more. I don't want to f' my shoulders up...

Anyways, I opted to just stick with my original plan. I set pins so bar was about even with knee maybe just above. Started with vertical shins, and extended torso into full upright shrug with ankle extension. Then back to pins. As Coach everett recommends in his book, I never hold at top. I tried to make each rep explosive so the weights rattled on the bar at the top

I did 2 sets of 5 with 225
then 1 set of 5 with 245.

They seemed all right.


who's dan?

what I mean if one (me) has a normal heavy hi pull like 315 and one loaded 525 on the bar and proceed to explosively shrug from the pins..it can really stress the shoulder beyond what is useful or reasonable. this is painful and dumb....with effort one can detach muscles from the scapula..

shrugs Can be done Much Heavier than your max pull, this is not prudent...the numbers above don't seem crazy to me if you can clean 100k, shrugging 120k is no big deal, keeping in mind whatever expert adv ice you are following WRT oly programming, which is not my thing by any stretch.

Brian Lawyer 12-25-2008 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Van Skike (Post 46390)
who's dan?

what I mean if one (me) has a normal heavy hi pull like 315 and one loaded 525 on the bar and proceed to explosively shrug from the pins..it can really stress the shoulder beyond what is useful or reasonable. this is painful and dumb....with effort one can detach muscles from the scapula..

shrugs Can be done Much Heavier than your max pull, this is not prudent...the numbers above don't seem crazy to me if you can clean 100k, shrugging 120k is no big deal, keeping in mind whatever expert adv ice you are following WRT oly programming, which is not my thing by any stretch.

Thanks Dave. Sorry about calling you Dan.

If that is the case I probably could have gone heavier. I can clean upwards of 250lbs. I am not exactly sure how much I can clean because since I have seriously been training O'lifts my jerk has been holding me back. My last jerk PR was 230lbs but I can't remember the last time I missed a clean in getting there. So I assume I can clean probably approx 250lbs.

I still probably benefited from working with sub-max weights. My coach has been on me a lot about being more explosive. He says I still rely on power too much. So porbably the lighter weight shrugs and working the explosiveness is good. Maybe next time I'll overload with like 275lbs.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:53 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.