Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Fitness, Strength & CrossFit (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Programming for military (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3631)

Justin Chebahtah 01-08-2009 04:38 PM

Programming for military

Garrett Smith 01-08-2009 04:58 PM

My only suggestion is to ease into it and since you'll be running and rucking, limit your metcons to lasting under 5 minutes (ie. doublets and maybe triplets).

Other than that, your thoughts look good to me.

You may want to save the OL training for when you have more time to work on it consistently, to avoid injury if you do *really* suck at it.

Justin Chebahtah 01-08-2009 07:06 PM

George Mounce 01-09-2009 02:16 AM

I like that you are staying within your requirements, but what are they? Are they to pass the APFT with as high as score as possible? The more strength you gain (which involves more muscle mass at a point) will diminish your run, just like more running will diminish (not a lot but a noticeable amount) some strength gains. Sounds to me like you are looking for a happy middle.

I aced the AFPFT twice, once at 170, once at 180. Now that I'm eating like a hippo I will tackle it again...this time at 187. I do believe that my run time will not max, but frankly after having met my goal of a 100 score, I don't really care if its a max or not, I enjoy Oly lifting too much, and may sneak myself up to the 207 weight class.

Mike Prevost 01-09-2009 03:24 AM

PT

Justin

I had some luck at maintaining run fitness with very limited running. I will do two interval runs and a sprint session. Intervals consist of quarter mile or half mile intervals with a short rest period. You can do these on a track or the treadmill to controll pace. I will do no more than 6 quarter mile intervals or 3 half mile intervals. I can go from zero running for months to an 8:45 Navy PRT run (1.5 miles) in just 2-3 weeks with that simple protocol. You might consider two, short interval sessions and the ruck march (in place of the sprinting).

If it were me, I would do the above and scale down the METCON while continuing to work strength and rings. Your focus is all over the place and it will be hard to improve at all of those things at once. I would pick two things at a time (i.e., strength plus run/ruck) plus some non-physically demanding skill work (i.e., light OLY lifting for form) and focus on that.

METCON is easier to gain than strength. It is easier to put METCON on top of good strength than it is to put good strength on top of METCON. In other words, I would train the strength stuff and add the runs/rucks and do limited METCON. You can add that in later and quickly catch up.

Just my $.02.

Mike

Allen Yeh 01-15-2009 04:33 AM

I guess I'm just not worried about the rucking portion, it never used to be a problem for me. I'll have to throw on a 50#'er soon and test this out.

How are your runs going? Mine would be better if the outside temperature would at least break 45! I'm still racing a bit too much on my half miles, my first run would be too fast, then my 2nd one would be ok, then my 3rd is too slow, ticks me off but I don't want to start increasing my rests either.

Justin Chebahtah 01-19-2009 09:50 AM

Allen Yeh 01-23-2009 05:41 AM

Man my date is coming up much quicker than I thought it would. I'll be driving down to GA 2 weeks from tomorrow.

Justin Chebahtah 01-24-2009 07:48 PM