Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Training Logs (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Return of the Squat (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3644)

Andrew Ager 01-12-2009 11:29 AM

Return of the Squat

Kicking off a log here, hopefully it will help spur me along the current path.

Background: many years of pointless machine-based gym routines that had very little thought put into them, with the expected minimal/zero results.

Last summer, through a variety of coincidences, I started doing the straight Starting Strength program. That went from June through September. October was basically off, until the last week, when I switched to a 4 days per week Crossfit routine. That went up until the winter holidays, when I had two weeks off.

I *loved* doing SS. Crossfit was also quite a lot of fun (and fit better into my workday in terms of time, which I really liked), but I found myself missing regular squats and deadlifts and power cleans, etc. More directed reading both here and the CF boards about Gant's hybrid program led me to decide to switch over to that, as it seemed to combine the lifts that I enjoyed with the metcon bits that I also liked, without quite the 2-hour commitment SS was requiring of me.

So I read and re-read the templates, cherry-picked metcons from the extensive list compiled on the CF thread, and whipped up a starter package for January, when I'll only be able to get to a gym 3 days per week, and the full routine starting in February.

Started today, novice strength program, spread out a bit.

HS: 5 minutes of practice, some pike pushups tossed in for good measure
HPC: 105 x 2 x 6
Squat: 215 x 5 x 3 (a bit too high as a restart, annoyingly)
Then, did Helen, scaled on reps:
500m. row
55# DB swings, 15
pullups, 9 (I still am suck at pullups, and use the assisted device)
3 rounds: 14 minutes.

Felt completely fried after all was said and done ... in a good way. This should be fun.

Andrew Ager 01-14-2009 12:51 PM

FL: 5 minutes of practice. Man, is my upper body weak. :mad:

PP: 105x5x3
Overhead squat: this is totally new for me, and the overhead stuff is my serious weak point right now. So, did two rounds with an 18 lb. "Body Bar," another 2 witha 24-pounder, just to get the feel of the movement. 2 more with an empty bar, then ramped slowly to 60 pounds, 5 pounds up at a time. That felt about right for a start.

metcon: Diane

15-9-6
195 lb. deadlifts
pike pushups
8:55

I know, I know, scale reps before weight ... but 225 wasn't going to come off the ground in that kind of volume today. Probably could have done this with 205 just as well, but I'm still kind of figuring out where I am right now.

Andrew Ager 01-16-2009 12:00 PM

L-sit: 5 minutes of various holds

PC: 115x3x5 -- felt good.
FS: never did these before, so worked up to 110x5; need to sort out balance and grip, and then can jump up pretty quickly here.
DL: 255x5x1
Pullups, assisted: 3x5 @ "12" on the assist (I believe that's 80-ish pounds).

17-hour fast, workout came at the end.

Andrew Ager 01-19-2009 12:57 PM

HS: oooops, forgot.

Power snatch: lots of empty-bar drills, played around with 55 and 60 lbs. Need to drag in the PVC bar for drills and warmups for these...

Press: 105x4, 100x4x2. Embarrassing.

Box Squat: 185x3x5 -- these felt great. Really helped with some form issues, and the difference a miniscule stop makes before you're fully ATG is pretty impressive.

Metcon: 100 25# db thrusters: 10:48.