Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Nutrition (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   One meal question (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3655)

Steve Forman 01-13-2009 12:03 PM

One meal question

Is there a negative effect to when I break my fast at dinner time, that I only consume one average size meal and nothing else during that eating cycle. its about 800 to 1000 calories.

trying to mix things up a bit. I thought once or twice I would not try to consume my normal calorie count in that cycle.

Thanks

steve

Derek Weaver 01-13-2009 01:29 PM

I'm not sure I get it. What's a cycle? One fast + eating window? Done only one time and then back to a normal caloric intake?

Or is it more regimented and (possibly) complicated than that?

Steve Forman 01-13-2009 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek Weaver (Post 47587)
I'm not sure I get it. What's a cycle? One fast + eating window? Done only one time and then back to a normal caloric intake?

Or is it more regimented and (possibly) complicated than that?

Cycle: as I state it. This eating cycle or fasting one. Probably better to state my ea ting time frame. or eating window.

I know that most people, during a eating window, try to consume a normal daily intake. If I changed it up and did say only consumed 1000- 2000 total calories, once in a while, is there a negative impact from that.

thanks

Garrett Smith 01-13-2009 04:00 PM

I don't see any negative impact from undereating on an irregular basis.

When I do it, it typically involves skipping lunch (which reduces my calorie intake by probably 1/3 that day). I only eat breakfast on the weekends.

I try not to undereat on my heavy training days (esp. protein) or I don't recover well.

Derek Weaver 01-13-2009 04:14 PM

I think there's certainly benefit to undereating on an irregular basis. For me, it serves a great purpose to clean up the gut.

I think it also needs to be factored in to the overall stress equation. If you're a stress case (as so many are in this economy), then fasting and underating to the tune of 1000+ calories may do little to no good.

If you've got everything else in order, then not eating much is fine.

Patrick Yeung 01-13-2009 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garrett Smith (Post 47612)

When I do it, it typically involves skipping lunch (which reduces my calorie intake by probably 1/3 that day). I only eat breakfast on the weekends.

I try not to undereat on my heavy training days (esp. protein) or I don't recover well.

I hear ya about on heavy training days. If youre going to do these types of fasts, you should probably do them on days youre resting.

But, I think more importantly is how youre getting those 800 calories. If its all clean folliage and some protein it should work well. Every once in awhile, ill just eat a lot of vegetables and not really be up for much else, so ill have a few eggs and milk.

Once that passes, which it will easily, man do you feel clean.

Donald Lee 01-13-2009 06:35 PM

I was doing the Eat-Stop-Eat 24 hr fast approach in the summer. Instead of fasting on a rest day, I'd fast on a day in which I'd work out in the evening and break the fast afterwards. The following day was a rest day, so I never had recovery or performance issues fasting in this manner.

Steve Forman 01-13-2009 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garrett Smith (Post 47612)

thanks everyone you definitely answered that one! Home Run! yes the calories are clean and yes this decreased calories on rest or light days, not on heavy lifting days.

Garrett, can you tell me a little more about what you are doing. weekdays no breakfast at all, eat at lunch unless your reducing caloric intake that day. Why then do you eat breakfast on the weekends and do you eat 3 squares a day on the weekend.

Thanks

Steve