Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Community & Events (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Failure. (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3656)

Dave Van Skike 01-13-2009 12:15 PM

Failure.

even if you're not a gearhead, you'll get something. message in this vid. Check it.

http://dreams.honda.com/#/video_fa

Kevin Perry 01-13-2009 02:05 PM

dad always said a person needs to learn how to fail before they can succeed.

Derek Maffett 01-13-2009 05:42 PM

So in other words -

"Yeah, we mess up a lot, and sometimes the engines we make explode, but it's all for the best since we learn from our mistakes and get better. And we will continue to learn from our mistakes."

And that's supposed to make me want to buy a Honda car?

As for the Edison reference, that example is overused in the extreme. Yes, his trial-and-error methods are nice for the whole "If at first you don't succeed, nado, nado..." cliche, but I much prefer the Tesla model, which uses less trial, less error, and more intelligence, study, AC, and radio.

Edison did teach us how to properly outdoor barbecue an elephant, though. That's cool, even if he only did so to try and discredit the competition (that won out in the end anyways). I wonder how good elephant meat is... they're kind of like large pigs, so...

And what about this quote from him - "Genius is one percent inspiration, ninety-nine percent perspiration."

That's not a very good description of genius, but interestingly, it is a reasonably accurate description of Crossfit, which itself could be said to be partially genius, and works along the lines of most proper exercise research which actually uses a lot of trial and error, which would seem to help prove Edison's point, except for the fact that exercise science doesn't work quite the same way as other sciences tend to.

Dave Van Skike 01-13-2009 06:03 PM

we'll have to agree that you didn't get it....

I am of course biased, I have great admiration for Soichiro Honda and his rise from a rinky dink moped maker totally dominating whichever motorsport has caught his eye... an using what is learned on the track to build what is hands down the most successful motorcycle company in the world...

the cross fit analogy that makes sense is hip hop....if you hybridize and borrow and dumb down enough good things, you'll eventually come up with a sort of new thing.

George Mounce 01-13-2009 06:15 PM

Honda the most successful? Uh, no.

It didn't even make the list of the most successful cars. Toyota by far.

Patrick Donnelly 01-13-2009 09:58 PM

Edit: Sorry. Certain internet catchphrases back from my online gaming days are creeping back into my vocabulary. I've been spending too much time reading online message boards.

Anyway, good video, Dave.

Dave Van Skike 01-13-2009 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George Mounce (Post 47627)
Honda the most successful? Uh, no.

It didn't even make the list of the most successful cars. Toyota by far.

my bad...edited for reality.

Derek Maffett 01-14-2009 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Van Skike (Post 47623)
we'll have to agree that you didn't get it....

I am of course biased, I have great admiration for Soichiro Honda and his rise from a rinky dink moped maker totally dominating whichever motorsport has caught his eye... an using what is learned on the track to build what is hands down the most successful motorcycle company in the world...

the cross fit analogy that makes sense is hip hop....if you hybridize and borrow and dumb down enough good things, you'll eventually come up with a sort of new thing.

I'm not saying that Honda isn't necessarily almost a good company. Edison was also a non-terrible inventor. What I'm saying is that I'll much sooner side with the company that tends not to mess up very often over the company that got where it is through significant trial and error. I'd prefer not to be a part of that "error" if at all possible. Furthermore, that video looked suspiciously like a foreshadowing of unexplained explosions, gas fumes, ozone layer disruption, general chaos, and Tom Cruise.

The humorous alternative meaning to "inspiration," coupled with the word "perspiration" and relating to metcon, was the reason for my final statement. Therefore, the Crossfit analogy was more similar to the unsensical ramblings of a mad genius than it was to a hamburger.

Allen Yeh 01-14-2009 04:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek Maffett (Post 47648)
I'm not saying that Honda isn't necessarily almost a good company. Edison was also a non-terrible inventor. What I'm saying is that I'll much sooner side with the company that tends not to mess up very often over the company that got where it is through significant trial and error. I'd prefer not to be a part of that "error" if at all possible. Furthermore, that video looked suspiciously like a foreshadowing of unexplained explosions, gas fumes, ozone layer disruption, general chaos, and Tom Cruise.

What is your profession? I'll take a wild guess here and say not anything related to engineering?

The last bit about the foreshadowing? Come on.

Allen Yeh 01-14-2009 04:36 AM

Good video Dave, thanks.