Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Flexibility, Training Preparation & Recovery (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Shoulder MRI, left and right (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3706)

Greg Battaglia 01-20-2009 03:25 PM

Shoulder MRI, left and right

Just got an MRI on both shoulders and got the results today. Luckily (I think), things don't seem too bad, but I'm not an expert on reading MRI results. I'm hoping someone here has experience interpreting this stuff so maybe you can help me out.

So here it is:

Left Shoulder

Impressions:

1. Finding suggest subacromial/subdeltoid bursitis.
2. Small ganglion cyst projecting posteriorly from the AC joint.

Rotator cuff: No significant abnormalities.

Labrum: No significant abnormalities.

AC joint: There is a cyst projecting posteriorly from the AC joint measuring 6 L meters. This is suggestive of a ganglion cyst.

Biceps tendon/T/Anchor: No significant abnormalities.

Bone: No significant abnormalities.

Other: There is a small amount of fluid within the subacromial/subdeltoid bursa likely indicative of bursitis.

Right Shoulder

Impressions:

1. Subacromial/subdeltoid bursitis.
2. Surpraspinatus tendinopathy.

Rotator cuff: There is mild fraying of the bursal side of the supraspinatus tendon and evidence of surpraspinatus tendinopathy without evidence of full thickness rotator cuff tear.

Labrum: No significant abnormalities.

AC Joint: There is a small amount of fluid within the AC joint.

Biceps tendon/T/Anchor: Intact.

Bone: No significant abnormalities.

Other: Fluid within the subacromial/subdeltoid bursa suggests bursitis.

So there it is. Not sure of the full extent of the damage done, but I'm guessing the only remedy for this one is lots of rest to let the tissue heal with maybe some flexibility work? Can anyone explain to me exactly what these results indicate. Am I screwed, not screwed, kinda screwed, etc.? The ganglion cyst seems a bit strange, and not sure what is meant by "fraying" (partial tear maybe?).

Hope someone can help. Thanks in advance.

Garrett Smith 01-20-2009 04:00 PM

What made you go get the MRI?

Steven Low 01-20-2009 05:51 PM

Yeah, bursitis should go away with rest. Should be able to help speed it up with some massage.. possibly some stretching, improving posture if it's poor..

Sucks about the cyst though..

What'd you do anyway?

Greg Battaglia 01-20-2009 06:58 PM

I've had pain in both shoulders for over 2 1/2 years now and a bad fall snowboarding last weekend really screwed up the right one. I've been doing lots of joint mobility/flexibility stuff and the diesel crew rehab program with good doses of TGU's and FMR with a tennis ball. That program got the pain down pretty low, but there was always a little bit of pain no matter what I did. A previous MRI showed mild osteoarthritis, so I figured the mild pain was from that. I haven't done anything since the snowboarding and both shoulders feel much better, but there is still always the low level chronic weakness/tenderness/soreness/inflammation. The pain originates deep within the AC joint and radiates down the scapula. There's more pain in the right one.

I'm fed up with the pain and refuse to live with it for the rest of my life. That being said I've decided I'm not doing anything using my upper body until May when I get out of school except for rehab work.

Any tips would be helpful.

Thanks guys.

Steven Low 01-20-2009 07:17 PM

Massage is probably your best bet for now... should help eliminate swelling faster.

Garrett Smith 01-21-2009 05:16 AM

You may want to give some B12 a shot:
http://www.newswithviews.com/Howenstine/james51.htm

If you can't do the injections (make sure it is methylcobalamin), get some sublingual methylcobalamin. If I were doing that, I'd take around 3000mcg/day and give the oral route about 2 weeks (injections work faster).

I've seen the injections work, this treatment isn't bunk.

Greg Battaglia 01-21-2009 07:21 AM

Thanks guys, much more help than my doc, as usual.