Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Fitness, Strength & CrossFit (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   High Fat Diet? (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3763)

John Kilbane 01-29-2009 09:40 AM

High Fat Diet?

Hello! I'm a 19 year old in college and have been eating healthy for a while now. I started eating Paleo a month or so ago. I usually eat one or two meals during a window of 4-5 hours because it's easier with my class schedule. I've found that in order to get enough calories in daily, I'm eating anywhere from 60-75% fat. The reason I've posted in mass gain is because I'm looking to put on some upper body muscle (want some pecs!). I guess my question would be is a high fat diet healthy or conducive to muscle-growth?

Also, on a side-note, would a good PWO shake of Whole Milk/Kefir/Yogurt and Whey protein be a good idea to see more size?

Here's my fitday: http://www.fitday.com/fitness/Public...nth =0&Day=28

Thanks for any insight!

Gavin Harrison 01-29-2009 09:57 AM

Not sure why you want breasts... but... try adding a gallon of milk/day and do a lot of heavy lifting. That should get you there. For the breasts, just bench press 2-3x / week.

Mike ODonnell 01-29-2009 10:15 AM

high fat is fine and can help with nitrogen retention and keeing calories high. Still need to get enough protein in daily to build muscles....and you can do your carbs pwo when they will go more towards muscle glycogen (no fat needed pwo).

Derek Weaver 01-29-2009 11:04 AM

What they said.

Don't discount the power of the carb in muscle building.

John Kilbane 01-29-2009 11:07 AM

Thanks for the advice guys. I forgot to mention that I'm 6'0" 135lbs. I don't want bulging "breasts", but an increase in upper body size so I don't look like a twig anymore. (Sorry that this turned into yet another "skinny guy" post, but I really value all of your opinions.)

What about all of the bad pree milk is receiving from those who are strict Paleo-eaters? Should I just disregard that?

Derek Weaver 01-29-2009 12:25 PM

John,
Disregard the milk issue unless milk makes you sick. For something fairly short term (several months), it's fine.

I don't do all that well with milk, but I put on close to 20 lbs in about 3 months drinking only a half gallon/day along with another 3500+ calories on top of that.

If you're 6'0" and 135 lbs... why aren't you doing Starting Strength?

George Mounce 01-29-2009 03:17 PM

Why not just become big all over?

Starting Strength and some milk will take care of that.

Patrick Yeung 01-29-2009 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Kilbane (Post 49052)
Thanks for the advice guys. I forgot to mention that I'm 6'0" 135lbs. I don't want bulging "breasts", but an increase in upper body size so I don't look like a twig anymore. (Sorry that this turned into yet another "skinny guy" post, but I really value all of your opinions.)

What about all of the bad pree milk is receiving from those who are strict Paleo-eaters? Should I just disregard that?

I think the paleo way of eating is very logical and definetly healthy. But, I dont really see the value in being on a strict paleo diet. I mean... We are smarter and better equiped than they were back then, why not use it?

Drink milk, its one of the best things you can add to your diet IMO. Cheap, protein, fat, tons of nutrients and vitamins and tastes good.

John Kilbane 01-29-2009 03:35 PM

I'll check out "Starting Strength"
I'm not familiar with it...

Thanks for the great advice. I'll be going to get some Organic Whole Milk tomorrow.

Chris H Laing 01-29-2009 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Kilbane (Post 49036)

Also, on a side-note, would a good PWO shake of Whole Milk/Kefir/Yogurt and Whey protein be a good idea to see more size?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike ODonnell (Post 49042)

and you can do your carbs pwo when they will go more towards muscle glycogen (no fat needed pwo).

And on that note, would it be better, in a pwo shake, to use whole milk, and keep it natural, or skim milk because it has less fat.

Also, John, definitely do GOMAD and SS. Its fun for a while, then hard, and then you look back at your starting lifts and go damn, i've gotten so much stronger. Its kinda cool.