Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Nutrition (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   1 Zone Block of Fat = ? gms (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3790)

Bill Ennis 02-03-2009 10:09 AM

1 Zone Block of Fat = ? gms

Hi Everyone;
I'm going thru some old PMs and trying some of Scotty Hagnas' recipes . At the end of each recipe he lists the zone blocks and my question is : how many grams of fat are assumed to be in each block of fat ? I've seen both 1.5 and 3.0 gms listed ,elsewhere , and I'm entering the info in fitday.com and want to total up the calories.
Thanks in advance.
Bill

Patrick Yeung 02-03-2009 03:59 PM

You should try reading the book or searching google...

1 block fat = 1.5 grams
1 block carb = 9 grams
1 block protein = 7 grams

Ive never used fit day, but dosent it break it all down your food totals to percentages of each, as well as total calories from each?

Garrett Smith 02-03-2009 04:10 PM

Bill,
I'm going to guess that Scotty probably goes by the 3g/block number, but I could be wrong. When folks start using the 2X, 3X,...5X fat modifiers, they tend to start totaling all fat grams consumed rather than assuming that each block of protein contains 1.5g of fat and thus each fat block will have to be 1.5g to make up the difference.

When someone is eating 4 fat blocks to every 1 protein block, the 1.5g fat blocks just don't really work anymore.

Patrick Yeung 02-03-2009 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garrett Smith (Post 49466)
Bill,
I'm going to guess that Scotty probably goes by the 3g/block number, but I could be wrong. When folks start using the 2X, 3X,...5X fat modifiers, they tend to start totaling all fat grams consumed rather than assuming that each block of protein contains 1.5g of fat and thus each fat block will have to be 1.5g to make up the difference.

When someone is eating 4 fat blocks to every 1 protein block, the 1.5g fat blocks just don't really work anymore.

This isnt even discussed in the book. That makes sense though, I forgot that 1.5g fat was assumed from protein. But, thats probably cause most are using it to lose weight and are not athletes.

Thanks for seemingly always being on top of it.

Bill Ennis 02-04-2009 05:16 PM

Patrick- thats why I asked the question. I've read the book(s) and done the google searches etc. , etc. but I knew the gms/fat block figure was a little more nuanced . Since Scotty is such a well known recipe guru , I wanted to get an idea from people as to how he handled it in his recipe calculations .
Garrett - I agree that he probably is using 3gm/block . The recipe in question is a chorizo quiche for breakfast and if I use 1.5 gms/block of fat , calories/serving comes to ~212 which seems pretty low . Using 3gms/block the calories/serving increases to 340 which seems more appropriate for the PM audience.
Thanks for your answer.
Bill