Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Fitness, Strength & CrossFit (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Krispy Kreme Challenge (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3817)

Daniel Mays 02-06-2009 11:03 AM

Krispy Kreme Challenge

Hey guys,

Not really sure where this should go, but since it is a matter of physical preparedness I will put it here. I am doing the Krispy Kreme Challenge tomorrow morning at 9:30 am. This consists of

Run 2 miles to Krispy Kreme
Eat 12 doughnuts
Run 2 miles home

I am curious if anyone has any suggestions, I am thinking of going low carb today so I may be craving doughnuts, but not sure if this will really effect my running ability. I am thinking of doing the race on an empty stomach, I do well working out fasted. I plan on soaking all the sugar off doughnuts and chewing maybe 2 at a time. Does anyone have any suggestions of supplements, strategies, mental angles or anything that will help me complete this challenge the fastest.

Thanks for all the good info on these boards!

Danny

Gant Grimes 02-06-2009 11:58 AM

Don't go low carb today! Eat some sugary snacks before bed so you'll be hungry in a few hours. Wake up a couple hours early and eat some Rollo or a Milky Way bar, something to make you hungry. Maybe have a couple beers at 8 am. It's cool.

Go moderate to slow on your 2 mi run if you can; you don't want to ruin your appetite. Once there, start on the creme or jelly filled first. You don't want to be cramming those at the end. I'd go with water or juice over milk since you have to jog back.

Good luck. Take pictures.

Stephen Brown 02-06-2009 12:03 PM

whats the upside? I assume hanging with freinds?

Daniel Mays 02-06-2009 12:09 PM

Thanks Gant, that's the type of stuff I wasn't so sure of! Will take those poitns into account. The upside is that it's a big NC State Raleigh area event and the profits go to cancer. I'm also an eater, and pushing the limits of my eating sprint capacity is someting I've been waiting to do since I got off SS. So sugars before bed to make me hungry, that is true, ate a little piece of coffeecake from my mother and instantly was hungry!

edit*** also Gant, thier all just the glazed doughnuts, nothing to make it really hardcore, and yes, I didn't make it clear but I am using water forsure to soak them!

Thanks!

Danny

Kevin Perry 02-06-2009 12:20 PM

I heard of this, someone I work with is doing this... hmm I thought it was just a challenge to eat as many donuts as you can but I guess it's an actual run. Hmm, sounds like a good treat this weekend for a cheat meal.

Gant Grimes 02-06-2009 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel Mays (Post 49774)
edit*** also Gant, thier all just the glazed doughnuts, nothing to make it really hardcore, and yes, I didn't make it clear but I am using water forsure to soak them!

Thanks!

Danny

That's too bad. A little cheat like this now and then isn't bad. I only eat doughnuts about 3 times a year, but when I do, it's on! If I could get a creme-filled bear claw fried kolache, I would.

I'd savor the doughnuts if I could. You mentioned that you were an eater. Even though I'm a former member of IFOCE (which permits dunking, mashing, etc.), I prefer Picnic Rules used by AICE (you eat the food as it was intended). Either way, you should have a plan in place. You don't want a Roman Incident.

Arien Malec 02-06-2009 01:00 PM

Are these Paleo doughnuts? I've got a great recipe for doughnuts (mashed sweet potatoes, coconut milk, almond meal, fried in coconut oil, and topped with honey).

Allen Yeh 02-06-2009 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gant Grimes (Post 49770)
Don't go low carb today! Eat some sugary snacks before bed so you'll be hungry in a few hours. Wake up a couple hours early and eat some Rollo or a Milky Way bar, something to make you hungry. Maybe have a couple beers at 8 am. It's cool.

Go moderate to slow on your 2 mi run if you can; you don't want to ruin your appetite. Once there, start on the creme or jelly filled first. You don't want to be cramming those at the end. I'd go with water or juice over milk since you have to jog back.

Good luck. Take pictures.

+ this and maybe doing a super glycogen depletion workout today.

Jesse Woody 02-06-2009 02:20 PM

What an excellent concept! Definitely the only way you'd ever get me to run 2 miles for sure :p

Derek Weaver 02-06-2009 10:34 PM

+1 or whatever it is, for pictures.

Why soak the sugar? If I were you, I'd go the whole way. Of course I'd probably puke as well, and would have that in mind. I may as well enjoy eating the donuts, cause they'd be coming up on the run regardless.

Have fun.