Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Olympic Weightlifting (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   70 Kg Snatch (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=394)

Ronnie Ashlock 01-15-2007 09:55 PM

70 Kg Snatch

I know, I know. Not an impressive weight at all, but a big stepping stone for me as I finally landed this one tonight. I got a really ugly 70 Kg power snatch a few weeks ago, but bombed the same weight at the Chris Dariotis Classic January 7th. So last week, I dropped the weight considerably and focused on technique and improving my form. Tonight I finally worked up to it and got it in the deep squat position, no less. This one felt good.

It comes on the eve, more or less, of the first-year anniversary of getting bonafide coaching from someone who really knows the sport. I can't say enough good things about John Thrush and the folks at Calpians Weightlifting Club. If you have access to a good coach, it is like having a gold mine. I'm one of the older lifters there (got started at age 35), and the progress curve has been slower for me than some of the younger, more athletic students, but John and all the lifters there embraced me as a brother and have helped me immensly.

I have completely fallen in love with this sport and I feel very, very fortunate to be in an area where there is a solid and experienced Olympic Weightlifting community. Wish I had about 20 years I could knock off the clock and start all over, but you begin where you are and just grow where you're planted.

Sorry if this post rambles too much or if it's the wrong place to put it. I just felt good and had to tell someone who would "get it."

JW Luckett 01-16-2007 12:16 AM

I get it and major congrats. That must be an awesome feeling. I started this sport at 44 (now 45) and am working on a 50kg squat snatch. Almost there.

Like you, I have totally fallen in love with this sport. This happened when I started following Coach Burgener's 12-wk program. What an education.

keep it going.

jw

Ronnie Ashlock 01-16-2007 09:10 AM

Thanks, JW. Keep at it and you'll get that 50 no problem. I'm sure you're plenty strong for it, it'll just be question of getting all the technical stuff working for you. That's where having a coach pays off big time. There's so many little nuances to the lifts that aren't immediately apparent. Without someone looking over what you are doing wrong, and offering feedback on how to correct it, you can, like me, ingrain some bad form and not even know it.

I want to also thank Danny John, who's been a great digital coach. I turn to his "Get Up" newsletter and "From the Ground Up" DVD all the time for insights and new "aha" kind of things. He's also been kind enough to quickly respond to every email I've sent him. That means a lot, too.

Yuen Sohn 01-16-2007 10:28 AM

Ronnie,
Way to go! Great work.

It's a bit scary how similar your situation is to mine. Actually, I was even planning on posting a message when I reach 70 (I've been stuck at 67.5 for a while now btw, haha)

Like you, I've recently fallen in love with weightlifting and sometimes wish I had started about 15 years sooner.

You just can't beat the value of good coaching and the camaraderie among your fellow lifters.

Robb Wolf 01-16-2007 11:56 AM

good stuff guys! I just found a brazilian Jiu jitsu coach so i am shifting gears from the Olifts to more rolling...I'll be living vicariously through you guys for a while!

Steve Shafley 01-16-2007 12:46 PM

I read that as:

Quote:

Coach Burgener's 12-step program
Heh.

Mike ODonnell 01-16-2007 01:16 PM

I'm switching gears too....No wait...Guiness, wings, hockey and bad pickup lines...Nope still the same...

Cassidy Drake 01-16-2007 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robb Wolf (Post 3374)
good stuff guys! I just found a brazilian Jiu jitsu coach so i am shifting gears from the Olifts to more rolling...I'll be living vicariously through you guys for a while!

Much along the lines of my training I see.

Allison Barns 01-17-2007 10:08 PM

Hmmmm....Ronnie, I was there at the meet and I would not call your attempt at 70 kg a "bomb" at all!! I thought it was a rather nice attempt.

I'm so glad to hear that you did get it!! I'll look forward to seeing you replicate it (or more?) at the next meet.

Allison

Elliot Royce 01-18-2007 07:47 AM

My coach who is 50 years old just got 111kg snatch/155kg in the New England masters. He's got his eye on the world record. Something to aspire to....