Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Weight Gain, Weight Loss, Body Composition (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Fruit and Fat Loss (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4027)

Matthieu Hertilus 03-14-2009 05:13 PM

Fruit and Fat Loss

I've recently cut out all grains from diet (even the whole wheat stuff) and my main source of carbs come from fruits, veggies, and nuts. However, I don' really eat pre- or post workout as I've been using BCAA's + creatine instead and throughout the day I just take in a good amount of protein from whole food sources, fruits and veggies. My question is in regard to fruit and whether I should avoid it due to its carbs content, It just doesn't seem to make sense to only have them around my workouts as fruit is supposed to be so good for you, but then again this is a fat loss forum and I'm desperate.

Mike ODonnell 03-14-2009 06:34 PM

Don't sweat it...your liver will be happy to give it some glycogen. Fat loss is more calorie deficit than macronutrient ratios of carb content per day.

Just avoid sugar that is not in it's natural packaging and you should be fine.

Emily Mattes 03-16-2009 10:10 AM

I don't know, in my experience the quickest body fat loss happens when you cut out fruit as well, saving it and starchier vegetables like sweet potatoes solely for post workout.

Of course, "quickest" is relative. What I mean is I get maybe an extra 2-5%, as opposed to the 95-98% that comes simply from going Paleo, controlling caloric intake, and having a good workout program. The difference exists, but is not worth it to my sanity.

If you are above 8-9% body fat, I wouldn't even worry about it provided you aren't eating like fifteen bananas a day.

Garrett Smith 03-16-2009 10:45 AM

1-2 pieces of fruit a day should be no problem at all.

Matthieu Hertilus 03-16-2009 11:45 AM

Most of my fruit consumption comes in the form of a smoothie I have about 1-2 hrs after my workout which includea sbout 2/3 cup of blueberries and several strwberries. Other than that it may be an occasional orange or apple the rest of the day

Emily Mattes 03-17-2009 11:27 AM

Well, shit, man, don't sweat it. Fruit may be nature's candy, but that doesn't mean it's in any way comparable to Snickers bars.

Derek Weaver 03-17-2009 03:16 PM

If you're in a decent enough deficit and eating adequate protein it's going to be hard to eat too many carbs from fruit or other sources. Eat some fruit, it's good for you.

Matthieu Hertilus 03-17-2009 06:24 PM

My calorie count per day usually stays in the area of 1600 to 2000 while im doing the Strength Cycle CA WODs. Is it simply a matter of giving it more time to see ifi see results? Also, i find myself feeling a bit bloated from those smoothies i make, could it be the raw milk (use it for its good fats, proteins, and makes the smoothie taste better) I use in it or too much sugar from all the fruit I put in it?

Derek Weaver 03-17-2009 06:27 PM

I doubt it's the sugar. If anything it may be a reaction to the raw milk or maybe the fiber blast you're getting from all the berries. Or just all the calories you're ingesting so quickly.

And yes, give it time. Results from any diet take time.

I do well leaning out on low carbs, but it's primarily an issue of adherence more than anything. I can keep cals in check easier, but I'm capable doing the same thing with (relatively) more carbs in my diet.

Matthieu Hertilus 03-17-2009 07:21 PM

Thanks for the input and encouragement Derek, very much appreciated and needed