Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Fitness, Strength & CrossFit (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Core Conundrum (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4204)

Matthieu Hertilus 04-18-2009 04:52 PM

Core Conundrum

I believe I have decent PL and OL numbers but I feel as though they could be so much better (especially my squat) if my core was stronger. With that in mind, I have a few questions that I hope everyone can chime in on.

1. What are the best exercises for building core strength?
2. Is it a matter of core strength or endurance?
3. If it is the former, is the best approach to treat the core like all other muscles that need strengthening (i.e. high intensity, low to mid volume)
4. How often should core exercises be implemented?

Brian DeGennaro 04-18-2009 04:56 PM

To just list things off:

1 - Planks, back bridges, L-sits, HLRs, and GHD situps, in that order.
2 - a lil bit of both but mostly strength. Higher strength levels automatically mean a higher potential for endurance.
3 - Yes, treat it like strength exercises.
4 - Every session.

Jon Brody 04-18-2009 05:33 PM

Russian twists, especially for rotational power, are pretty sweet.....HLRs, russian twists, l-sit, and plank I think are my fave mix of core-specific exercises.

Actually.....simulating kimuras while holding a phyisio ball between my legs like I'm playing guard, and also performing triangles going side-to-side have felt really good when I recently starting doing them....

Troy Archie 04-18-2009 06:57 PM

Evil wheel is great. Kneeling, kneeling decline, standing incline...

Patrick Donnelly 04-18-2009 08:26 PM

Barbell windmills, windshield wipers, heavy-ass planks.

Don't forget slosh pipes too.

Allen Yeh 04-18-2009 08:42 PM

I usually group in my lower back with "core" training.

Things I choose from:
1. back extensions
2. reverse hypers
3. good mornings
4. good mornings with a band

Usually in the higher rep range.

Mike ODonnell 04-19-2009 07:26 AM

Barbell TGUs.....wear a hockey helmet just in case...

Alan O'Donnell 04-19-2009 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian DeGennaro (Post 55558)
Planks, back bridges, L-sits, HLRs, and GHD situps, in that order.

Brian, is that just in order of difficulty?

Personally I do a lot of l-sits on my fists (don't have the pike flexibility to do them on my palms), overhead squats, heavy KB swings, and I'm working on my tucked front levers. I feel like if you can do a front lever your core should be pretty much good to go.

Brian DeGennaro 04-19-2009 09:18 AM

That's just order of effectiveness, in my opinion.

Dave Van Skike 04-19-2009 09:22 AM

seems like "core" strenght is about as wide ranging and variable as grip. there are about a jillion ways and theories.... if you're looking for something that increases your total, you're going to have expirement a little. i don't think you can beat front squats, oh squats and pressouts for an overhead lifter. if you have access, i bet an upside down safety squat bar would work well too becuase it can approximate the classic narrow OL back squat position but the leverage is even worse than a front squat...

i do round back lifting of many flavors, standing ab work , medium heavy carries wihtout a belt, ab wheel and waiters walks....these approximate the discomfort of several events and movements...mostly i don't think about it though and that works really well.