Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Community & Events (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Post Your Epic Fail (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4207)

Dave Van Skike 04-19-2009 05:31 PM

Post Your Epic Fail

In the spirity of the PR thread, I propose adjuct...significant failures, big and small that you hopefully learned from.

1. what was the fail?
2. what did you learn?
3. what's your next move?

Dave Van Skike 04-19-2009 05:39 PM

I'll go first.

Saturday AM.

Was cued up for a benchmark PR. Felt certain I could pull somewhere between 460-515 for between 8-10 reps. the percentages were for 475 by as many, anything over 7 would be PR. I had put 475x10 in my head all week.

called an audible and loaded 500 and decided to go for 8, hooked. Stoopid. I got 5, and 6 was going up ugly when I bailed.

Fail. today my low back hurts..and that never happens.

Should have stuck with the plan and taken a respectable victory at 475x whatever.

lesson: Check ego at the door. trust the numbers. stick with the plan.

Now I need to reset the %'s.

Allen Yeh 04-19-2009 06:16 PM

Last week when I was working out I saw a Marine doing some clean and jerks, he kept struggling with the jerks so I told him to try not sitting back on the jerk and to just bend the knees. He seemed confused so a little later on I was going to show him what I meant. I wasn't thinking at all and ended up powercleaning 195 and then failing miserably on the jerk and ended up flat on my back with the metal weights slamming to the floor.

Super embarrassing. Especially since prior to cleaning the bar I didn't even realize he had added more weight to the bar, I thought it was just 135. Oops.

I'm just glad I didn't hurt myself

Lesson: Pay attention, dammit.

Mike ODonnell 04-19-2009 06:31 PM

Through many horrific yet spectacular mountain bike crashes....I learned:
- never focus on the things you want to avoid (look where you want to go down the hill, not at the tree)
- if you think you can't....then you won't (especially when trying to go across a small board bridge and saying "Holy crap I'm going to fall")
- the more I crashed....the quicker I got back up and kept going

Arien Malec 04-19-2009 06:43 PM

I'll post two:

1)
a) Went from reasonably fit (in an endurance athlete mode) to horribly overweight
b) Watch out for incremental crappiness
c) i) Embrace the horribly overweight, just made of different stuff, ii) Get good at fat loss

2)
a) Have completely stalled at sn & c&j by focusing on technique, strength, fat loss, mass gain, etc. all at the same time
b) Stength & technique are everything for oly lifting -- and focus on one thing and succeed before moving on to something else
c) Get strong, damnit. 150kg fs or bust.

Kevin Perry 04-19-2009 08:22 PM

1. That I suck at my own programming and can't commit to any specific training and make gains from it which would explain why my progress has been subpar the last year.

2. Learned that I need to get an actual coach to do the programing for me, eat more, rest more, repeat.

3. Follow the program I got earlier this week.. stick with it and get strong as hell

Yuen Sohn 04-19-2009 09:20 PM

2 Things Come to Mind Right Away

At the LBH team outing two years ago, I was warming up to lift on the outdoors platform. As I descended into my first (fast) air squat, I felt a sudden and incredibly sharp pain in my right butt cheek. At that moment, I locked eyes with my friend Jess. She would later say my face was frozen in sheer terror, as if I had just seen a ghost. I immediately turned around only to discover that I had squatted directly onto the sharpened point of a small tree stump. Had I been standing one inch further to the right, it would have been a total disaster.

I will never hear the end of this from my teammates.

Lesson learned: Always look before you squat!
Next move: I'm going to destroy that stump when I return this summer, then proceed to snatch over 100.

Another time, I was warming up at a meet. On my last snatch warm-up, I receive the bar way forward and, rather than bailing, decide to recover and run forward. As I'm about to run off the warm-up platform, I look up and see a startled Artie Drechsler (author of the Weightlifting Encyclopedia) directly in my path. Rather than take out Artie, I immediately drop the bar to my thighs, lose balance, hit a support pillar and fall flat on my ass, the final insult being the bar rolling completely over my humiliated body. I decided to lower my opener by 2kgs immediately after that.

Lesson learned: Pick and choose your battles. Not every weight is worth saving. Secondly, don't hesitate to lower your openers; they're not set in stone. And finally, treat every lift like a new lift, no matter how badly things are going. I actually ended up PRing on my 3rd attempt, somehow.

Don Stevenson 04-19-2009 09:30 PM

Good thread Dave!

Last monday, squatting alone in the gym ( I mean completely alone, no one else in the gym at all)

Pushed for a couple of rep PRs , 170kg x3 ok, 180x4 ok, 170x5, failed on the the last rep and had to bail.

Super case of DOMS all week that kinda ruined my training for the next 3 days.

Lessons learned

1. In retrospect things could have gone horribly wrong and there was no one nearby to even call for help.

2. short term satisfaction in doing a PR cost me valuable training time later.

Derek Weaver 04-19-2009 11:36 PM

1) Program jumping is disaster in the making.

2) Kinda crazy story along the lines of Don's story:
I was warming up over the summer of '08 (just last summer) for a backsquat workout with my first warmup set @135lbs. I sat back, getting a good descent on my low bar backsquat, when I got too much backwards and started to lose it.

Reflexively, I step backwards, in the bottom of a squat to keep from eating it. I end up doing the chicken dance and finally stabilize a solid 45 degrees turned from my original set up. Miraculously, I wasn't hurt and ended up having a decent workout considering how shaken up I was.

Lesson: learn how to bail on any lift, anytime.

Brandon Oto 04-20-2009 04:30 PM

http://degreesofclarity.com/misc/cro...and_whoops.mov

Lesson: don't put your chalk right the fuck there.