Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Powerlifting, Strongman & Grip Training (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Carries for Conditioning (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4414)

Matthieu Hertilus 06-14-2009 09:42 AM

Carries for Conditioning

I hope this is in the right thread but I was wondering if anyone used or heard of implementing extensive carries (~10 minutes worth) with various loads and objects (sandbags, plates, kettlebells, dumbbells/ in front, racked, at the side, etc.) Seems like a great combo for strength and conditioning to be used at almost any point of a training session. Any thoughts?

Garrett Smith 06-14-2009 10:09 AM

It's called rucking.

Also see the "Inman Mile". Farmers walks. Waiter walks. Etc.

Paul McKirdy 06-17-2009 02:18 AM

A weighted wheel barrow is what I call my treadmill :).

Dave Van Skike 06-17-2009 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul McKirdy (Post 59089)
A weighted wheel barrow is what I call my treadmill :).

Ha! we were just talking the other night about doing a SM contest that had a wheelbarrow event, either part of a medley or really heavy or uphill as a stand alone.

Paul McKirdy 06-17-2009 02:08 PM

No doubt! Here in Norfolk, VA at BSG(Brute Strength Gym) they finally got a really heavy duty one in and we have been discussing that and using the same wheel barrow as a car deadlift surrogate. This thing is REALLY heavy duty.

I think I hear it calling my name again...

Jacob Rowell 06-23-2009 08:27 AM

Paul,

I've been by Brute strength! Great facility. I'm up in Richmond, run a CrossFit gym (CrossFit RVA), but I train occasionally at The Weight Room, run by the NAS state chair. Great place to go if you're ever in town.

Matthieu Hertilus 06-30-2009 10:58 AM

I'm trying to put a few "rucking" series together so i would love to hear other people ideas, whether you're experienced in strongman training or not. Here's one I tried yesterday that worked out well. I'll soon experiment with implementing a loaded backpack. Would love to hear some other ideas

5 min of carrying (nonstop - quickly switch from one move to the next)
1 min - 100# sandbag racked (left shoulder), 77# kettlebell in right hand
1 min - 100# sandbag racked (right shoulder), 77# kettlebell in left hand
1 min - 70# sandbag zercher
1 min - 100# sandbag racked (left shoulder)
1 min - 100# sandbag racked (right shoulder)

Grissim Connery 06-30-2009 10:21 PM

you could try intervals. maybe go real heavy and do tabatas.

Paul McKirdy 08-24-2009 08:16 AM

Don't see it mentioned, depends on goals too... Immediate equipment available etc.

If you have a yoke available that adjusts to a low enough height, Zercher carries with the yoke. Good stuff. Progress the weight, in everything.

Hey Jacob, next time you are in town be sure to stop by. They just had new handles welded onto the Evil Wheelbarrow otherwise known as Big Paul's Treadmill and you can literally almost full run with the thing now. Not that one would do that with over a thousand on it! ha! I am pushing for more pin loading to be welded on too. I love that thing so much.

Oh yea! In the medley'ing of the carries walk backwards for some of them too. Especially a wheel barrow, your shoulder girdle will discover a new loading angle of attack which i do not think one can experience any other way.

If you have a rickshaw available that is an outstanding carry as well.

Dave Lemanczyk 08-28-2009 01:19 PM

Sandbag & Keg carries are fundamental choices of functional exercise. They are the most painful in terms of muscular fatigue but pay the highest dividends in terms of results.l All of my clients, myself included love to hate sandbag & keg carries.