Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Fitness, Strength & CrossFit (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   getting bigger? (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4442)

Steve Kaspar 06-23-2009 04:59 AM

getting bigger?

probably a dumb question, but i just read an article about some bodybuilder saying that if you been going to the gym for years and training what you think is very hard, but are still the same size, your doing something wrong..
now, i am not after size at all, but over the years i have either gone to the gym and worked as hard as i could in deadlifts, incline benches, pullups, hang cleans, etc..or out to my garage to do the same, and dtill have the same 12.5" arms and stick legs.., as i had 25 years ago..
i have always followed the 12-8-8 5-5-5 reps, or 5 sets of 3 after a warmup, but still havent gained an ounce... weight or size..
now, i would train with weights, after a running workout(years ago) and now either before or after cycle training..
train cycling first,in the morning, then weights in the evening.. seperate my sport from the weights, but still go as hard as i can in the weight training.
i am not trying to be good at everything, but when i train, i do go all out....why isnt there a gain of an inch in the arms or legs? genitics? burning too many calories riding??
thanks for input
steve kaspar

Kevin Perry 06-23-2009 06:21 AM

Do a search, there aer a lot of posts on gaining mass here. But im willing to bet your simply not eating enough and doing far too much exercise.

Júlíus G. Magnússon 06-23-2009 07:07 AM

More food.

Aren't there a bunch of threads with you saying how you don't want to gain weight... and here you are complaining about not gaining size? (Or am I confusing you with someone else?)

Working out is the easy part. Nutrition and recovery are the tough parts.

Mike ODonnell 06-23-2009 07:19 AM

Exercise routines should change...there should be some progression of weights as well (as are you still lifting the same amount year after year?). Building "size" is just telling the body to increase muscle density by having progressing resistance/volume over time and eating enough calories to fuel it.....that's it.

Allen Yeh 06-23-2009 08:05 AM

I know you are a competetive cyclist so I'm not sure if it's really possible to gain a lot more size without affecting your performance. I'm pretty sure though that if you go back to yourself those years ago and compare your strength levels it would be a bit different right? Power, strength and strength endurance?

Gant Grimes 06-23-2009 08:13 AM

Steve, why do we go through this every few months? You're a Cat 1-2 road cyclist that is 3-5% BF who is concerned with seeing his abs. And that's fine. There are plenty of threads on mass gain if you are really interested.

Steven Low 06-23-2009 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gant Grimes (Post 59320)
Steve, why do we go through this every few months? You're a Cat 1-2 road cyclist that is 3-5% BF who is concerned with seeing his abs. And that's fine. There are plenty of threads on mass gain if you are really interested.

Exactly.

We don't have to discuss things every couple months.

As long as you're improving towards your goals you're doing fine

Patrick Donnelly 06-23-2009 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Kaspar (Post 59306)
some bodybuilder saying that if you been going to the gym for years and training what you think is very hard, but are still the same size, your doing something wrong..

That's because progress in bodybuilding is measured in inches and pounds. It'd be the same thing as a powerlifter saying your training is wrong if you haven't added 100lbs to your total in a year, or tenth of a second off your 100m for a sprinter.

Arden Cogar Jr. 06-23-2009 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gant Grimes (Post 59320)

This is so on point and seconded. And as Steven pointed out, as long as your advancing toward your goals, you're blessed. If you have a tangential goal, then adjust your training and your eating to make it happen.

Patrick's analsysis is spot on as well. It's all about what you're doing and what to what you're striving. I got stuck in the "bigger is better" mentality for several years and lost site of my real goal and my sports performance suffered. Now I'm chubby, happy, extremely fit for my sport, and kicking butt moreso than I thought was possible.

All the best,
Arden

Steve Kaspar 06-23-2009 03:02 PM

julius
please reread my post. second paragraph..
gant, this is just a question i had on a bodybuilders comment..
i just wanted to run his comment across this board..
personally, like i said in numerous posts, i am cycling fit and happy with my size. my comment was on the bodybuilders comment, with him saying if your not getting bigger and stronger, your doing something wrong.
so, per my post, i go crazy cycle training, but as in all sports, you need the weights for a balance, so i go all out in the weight exercises i train. my comment was if the bodybuilders statement is correct, then i should be getting bigger, as i go all out in my lifting..
all i'm doing is commenting on his comment..
and no, i am not after size.
thanks for the comments and replies.
steve kaspar