Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Community & Events (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   debating between Seattle, and Portland... (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4616)

Timothy Scalise 08-27-2009 01:21 AM

debating between Seattle, and Portland...

... and one of my major factors is being able to train. anyone from either of those cities, been to, lived in, passed through, that knows good gyms that one can train at? I do Olympic weightlifting, I like to do met-cons as well, basicly CAWOD stuff. im spoiled here cause the YMCA has 2 platforms and 2 160kg bumper sets, with a bunch of bars, also Tommy Kono is around from time to time lol. So anyone know good gyms in either of those cities?

Brandon Oto 08-27-2009 10:55 AM

I would probably prioritize other considerations in deciding where to live.

Timothy Scalise 08-27-2009 11:03 AM

other considerations have been made, but thank you.

Brian DeGennaro 08-27-2009 12:53 PM

I know in Seattle there is Sandpoint Gym and the Thrush Performance Center, both are good places to train.If I'm not mistaken, Adam Young trains in Portland.

Derek Simonds 08-27-2009 01:17 PM

Scotty Hagnas and crew are at Crossfit Portland and Roy Dean teaches BJJ there. Makes it worthwhile on both counts to me.

Mike Ng 08-27-2009 03:02 PM

Like Brian said Sandpoint Gym is an olympic lifting club in Seattle with plenty of bumpers and good bars, it's in what used to be a crossfit facility so we also have pull up bars, an erg, med balls, etc.

The Calpian Weightlifting Club/Thrush Sports Perfomance is about an hour south of Seattle. The head coach there is John Thrush, one of the best (if not THE best) Olympic lifting coaches in the nation.

Crossfit Level 4 is in Seattle and Agoge gym is roughly 15 mins north of Seattle, both these facilities are great places to train. I know there are a handful of other crossfit facilities in the area too.

Let me know if you need contact info for any of these places.

Timothy Scalise 08-27-2009 11:26 PM

thanks for the info guys, i sent an email to the sandpoint gym. I would love to train with coach thrush but i wont have a car either place I go, so i would be bound to public transportation for a while.

Dave Van Skike 08-28-2009 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timothy Scalise (Post 61933)
... and one of my major factors is being able to train. anyone from either of those cities, been to, lived in, passed through, that knows good gyms that one can train at? I do Olympic weightlifting, I like to do met-cons as well, basicly CAWOD stuff. im spoiled here cause the YMCA has 2 platforms and 2 160kg bumper sets, with a bunch of bars, also Tommy Kono is around from time to time lol. So anyone know good gyms in either of those cities?

edit: just read your public transit constraints after i posted. neither of these are good to get to by bus or bike. CF level 4 and sandpoint are your best bet if you're in the City.

Both Rainer Crossfit and Local's Gym are near Sea.

both are legit and are run by guys with real depth of experience in actually competing They are not insular and have folks from a lot of backgrounds, not just crossfitters, kettleballers and oly people.

Kurtis at Rainer is a good LW strongman himself and puts on a good show every year in August to benefit the fragile x foundation. Jesse at Local's is putting on a Stronglander contest this Sunday. I'll post back if it turns out to be good. I were in the market for a good facility that also has platforms, I'd go to either of those in a heartbeat. if you're strictly an Oly guy, Calpain is prob the best fit in the Seattle area.

Timothy Scalise 08-28-2009 07:16 PM

I contacted the sandpoint gym, and apparently they only train 4 evenings a week at 6pm, and on saturday afternoon, That isnt going to work out with me not knowing what my work schedual will be like (im a bartender). So untill I would get a car it seems seattle isnt going to have much. I found one gym in portland called loprinzi's gym, wich seems to be an old school bodybuilding place, but I contacted them and they have platforms and bumpers as well. Thanks again for all the heads up people. Im not planning on moving for a while, but It just kind of hurts my heart a little to think that I may not be able to train the way I want.

Emily Mattes 08-29-2009 10:47 PM

Tim, don't let the haters get you down, there is no shame in choosing a place to live based on your gym. I did the same thing a couple of months ago.