Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Special Populations (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Lifters with Type 1 Diabetes? (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4622)

Michael McKenna 08-31-2009 12:56 PM

Lifters with Type 1 Diabetes?

I have a client with Type 1 Diabetes; she's only been able to find one other person who lifts weights seriously with the condition. Does anyone know of any? Do any of you out there train people with Type 1 Diabetes?

John Velandra 09-02-2009 04:01 AM

Michael, PM me and I'll send you an email of one of my trainers with Type 1. He's been strict on zone and paleo - seen some improvements, but still mesed up sugar levels on metcon or CF wods. After consulting some with Robb, he's been tinkering with a few other options to see how ihs sugar levels are.

John Filippini 09-02-2009 10:52 AM

Mike, one of the guys that trains with us in Baltimore is Type 1. I'm not sure all the details, but I know he started with me and fell pretty far behind, then got it diagnosed and under control and his lifts have seriously popped up since he started managing it. I'll ask him about it and see if I can get you guys talking.

Michael McKenna 09-03-2009 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Velandra (Post 62151)
Michael, PM me and I'll send you an email of one of my trainers with Type 1. He's been strict on zone and paleo - seen some improvements, but still mesed up sugar levels on metcon or CF wods. After consulting some with Robb, he's been tinkering with a few other options to see how ihs sugar levels are.

John V., I tried to pm you and wasn't allowed. Drop me an e-mail at totalselfperformance@comcast.net, or look me up on facebook. Thanks, Mike

John F., the lifter I train lives in Baltimore and teaches at JHU in their Grad porgram. What a small world. I'd definitely be interested in talking to him. Are you guys coming up for my little developmental shindig on Sep 19?

John Filippini 09-03-2009 02:07 PM

My current training is geared around the ECG meet in Moorestown two weeks later, but I was thinking of swinging by for a general heavy day/practice run. I can see if I can convince him and some of the others to come with.

Also, it's an even smaller world when you consider that I graduated from JHU undergrad 2 years ago and still live three blocks from campus, so I'm probably his neighbor. Go figure.

Troy Kerr 03-19-2010 05:22 PM

Michael-

I am the type 1 diabetic John was referring too. I just happened to be on and saw this thread. If you have any questions I would be happy to help out. You can message me here, facebook me, whatever you prefer.

Garrett Smith 03-19-2010 05:25 PM

Folks with any type of diabetes would do very well to avoid capsaicin/peppers...check the nightshade articles in the PMenu for the details/references on that one. Just thought I'd throw that out there since the thread popped up.

Robert Callahan 03-21-2010 02:06 PM

I work with a D-1 athlete that has type 1 diabetes. He is a monster athlete and amazingly talented. His diabetes has not hampered his sport specific work or his effort in the weight room.

Troy Kerr 04-06-2010 12:35 PM

Robert, would it be possible to get a look at the program you use for this athlete? The biggest issue I face is extreme glucose release via the liver post-workout, usually the upper 200's. If you have any advice for controlling this it would be most appreciated.