Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Equipment (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Olympic getting started package. (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4647)

Lars Tore 09-06-2009 10:34 PM

Olympic getting started package.

Hello everybody.
I'm considering buying an olympic set and need some advises. Myself I'm 37 year, 194 cm (6,4 ?) tall and about 92 kg. I have never done any weightlifting at all, but I have a c2rower at home and have used it for a few year (best 2k 6:47.6). I would like to supplement my normal training with o-lift for the sake of flexibility and speed.

I'm consider buying either pendlay’s package with barbell and 90 kg of color bumpers. The other option is to just pick his barbell and a 2,5 kg and 5 kg hitech training plate, and also add a 10 kg bumper from his “pendlay color” series. The price is almost the same for this to options. The question is, can I use the hitech plate as a normal bumper plates? If so, the last option will give me weights from 25 kg to 55 kg. The 90 kg package will give me lifts from 40 kg to 90 kg. Am I right that 40 kg are too much for a beginner? On the other side, will I to fast outgrow 55 kg ? When I outgrow 55 kg, I could add a pair of 20 kg, but I can not do that before next year.
My plan is to focus a lot on technique in the beginning. I also have to take it slowly since I don’t have any coach.

Any suggestions? My budget are limited to option A or B above.

garrett stack 09-07-2009 02:07 AM

You could make your own technique plates from plywood as long as you dont drop the bar too often. A pair of 5kg plates on either side would bring you up to 30 kg.
So if I was you I would go with the bar and 90kg and make my own technique plates.

Hope that helps.

Arien Malec 09-07-2009 10:50 AM

Note that 90kg of bumpers will get you up to 110kg total with the bar.

First question: What are you going to do about strength work (squats and such)? 110kg will run out relatively quickly. Do you have metal plates or other options for squats and deadlifts?

Second question: Why not the black bumpers instead of the colored bumpers?

If it were I, I'd consider the black bumper kilo set and add in the hi-temp 10lb (discontinued) bumper plates. Other options are:

1) plywood plates as Garrett notes above
2) Use metal plates up to 40kg, and use blocks to start from the right height
3) Use metal plates and lift from the hang

Lars Tore 09-07-2009 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arien Malec (Post 62418)
Note that 90kg of bumpers will get you up to 110kg total with the bar.

Thanks. Shame on me. :o
Quote:

First question: What are you going to do about strength work (squats and such)? 110kg will run out relatively quickly. Do you have metal plates or other options for squats and deadlifts?

My focus will be at the olympic lifts, but I think I have read that squat are recommended in the learning process. I don't have any metal plates either nor a squat stand.

Quote:

Second question: Why not the black bumpers instead of the colored bumpers?

If it were I, I'd consider the black bumper kilo set and add in the hi-temp 10lb (discontinued) bumper plates. Other options are:

The only kg black set I can find now at the pendlay site is 90 kg Kraiburg Bumper at $419. Then add a barbell at $299 and I end at $718. The color set with bumper are $719, so yes I can save a dollar. :)

Quote:

1) plywood plates as Garrett notes above
2) Use metal plates up to 40kg, and use blocks to start from the right height
3) Use metal plates and lift from the hang

Thanks to both of you. So it so not important to "bump" the barbell as part of the learning process?

Arien Malec 09-07-2009 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lars Tore (Post 62422)
My focus will be at the olympic lifts, but I think I have read that squat are recommended in the learning process. I don't have any metal plates either nor a squat stand.

Squatting is vitally important, unless you already have a huge strength base. Without a squat stand, you will be reduced to doing front squats with weights you can clean, or to doing zerchers.

Budget for some squat stands as well.

Given your questions, you should probably consider coaching. Job #1 should be to find yourself a coach, who hopefully comes with a gym you can lift at.

Quote:

The only kg black set I can find now at the pendlay site is 90 kg Kraiburg Bumper at $419. Then add a barbell at $299 and I end at $718. The color set with bumper are $719, so yes I can save a dollar. :)

http://www.pendlaybarbell.com/wesewecbupl.html

Quote:

Thanks to both of you. So it so not important to "bump" the barbell as part of the learning process?

I'm not understanding this.

garrett stack 09-07-2009 02:38 PM

I think Lars may mean drop.
Lars you can drop the bar if you have the hi-temp plates.
If you use plywood plates you will break them if you drop them .
But 20-30 kg should be ok to control if you are 92kg.

At 40kg you can use the bumper plates and drop the bar.

Lars one more thing , where do you live ?
The reason Im asking is that if it is outside the U.S the shipping will not be free .

Lars Tore 09-08-2009 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garrett stack (Post 62433)
I think Lars may mean drop..

Thanks. Drop not bump.

Quote:

Originally Posted by garrett stack (Post 62433)
Lars you can drop the bar if you have the hi-temp plates.
If you use plywood plates you will break them if you drop them .
But 20-30 kg should be ok to control if you are 92kg.

At 40kg you can use the bumper plates and drop the bar.

Lars one more thing , where do you live ?
The reason Im asking is that if it is outside the U.S the shipping will not be free .

I live in Norway and I will take care of the shipping myself from an address in U.S with sea freight. It’s slow but cheap.

I should really like to have a couch, but that is no option where I live and in my family situation. I plan top pick up Greg Everett’s book and hope it will get me started. I’m just waiting for the second edition to appear at amazon.

Linus Hector 09-08-2009 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lars Tore (Post 62454)
Thanks. Drop not bump.

I live in Norway and I will take care of the shipping myself from an address in U.S with sea freight. It’s slow but cheap.

I should really like to have a couch, but that is no option where I live and in my family situation. I plan top pick up Greg Everett’s book and hope it will get me started. I’m just waiting for the second edition to appear at amazon.

This shipping method sounds intreseting I live in sweden can it be arraged here to.

Lars Tore 09-08-2009 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linus Hector (Post 62455)
This shipping method sounds intreseting I live in sweden can it be arraged here to.

Yes. (wfs).
http://jetcarrier.com/
Check out "sjøfrakt"

Linus Hector 09-08-2009 02:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lars Tore (Post 62456)
Yes. (wfs).
http://jetcarrier.com/
Check out "sjøfrakt"

Tusen tack Lars, denna kommer att användas bor inte så långt från strömstad heller.