Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Fitness, Strength & CrossFit (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   PM members, what is your vertical leap? (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4650)

jake oleander 09-09-2009 01:09 PM

PM members, what is your vertical leap?

I'm curious how high all the o-lifters on this site can jump from a standstill (vertical jump).

Post your vertical leap!

I'll start - 31 inches :cool:
bodyweight= 165lbs @ 5 feet 10 inches height
max back squat= 350lbs

my o-lift numbers suck because of technique at the moment, snach= 145lbs c@j=205lbs

josh everett 09-09-2009 02:23 PM

32 is my best

Chris Rice 09-09-2009 03:52 PM

25" but it was a fair bit better 40 years ago.

Steven Low 09-09-2009 05:35 PM

30" for me

jake oleander 09-09-2009 07:11 PM

very nice!

anything over 30 inches puts you in pretty elite company, im impressed with everyone. here's hoping we can all get to 40 inches one day!

after seeing this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UBkR...eature=related (wfs) it seems like anything is possible if we train hard enough.

Arden Cogar Jr. 09-25-2009 01:09 PM

I shock some people with this one.

I'm 39 - barely 5'10" at 250 pounds and can still dunk a volley ball.

best I've ever tested out is 35" and that was a few years ago but my ability to jump hasn't lessened any. I do a lot of leaping and bounding in training for my silly hobby/sport. I can easily bound onto 40"+ boxes.

Best back squat = don't know. Likely about 250 to 275 kilos with only my Rehbands on. But I'm not gonna try it.

Best olympic lifts = power snatched 105 kilos. Squat clean about 150kgs. Technique sucks on full movements, but I'm getting better with time and effort.

All the best,
Arden

Garrett Smith 09-25-2009 07:40 PM

Dunno. I'd love to test it again. 25" in early high school. At 6', I can basically grab the rim with a no-step jump. I don't have long arms either.

I'm looking forward to more OL after this big PL meet is over, hopefully getting a higher vert at the same time.

jake oleander 09-27-2009 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garrett Smith (Post 63224)
Dunno. I'd love to test it again. 25" in early high school. At 6', I can basically grab the rim with a no-step jump. I don't have long arms either.

I'm looking forward to more OL after this big PL meet is over, hopefully getting a higher vert at the same time.

Im just starting to be able to do this when my legs are fresh (which, since i started the PM WODs, is seldom if at all). For me hanging off the rim requires about 33inches, im 5'10 with short arms though. My vertical numbers have climbed a dramatic 2 inches in the last couple months since I've started training O-lifting.

Arden, you're a beast, you have some serious strength. I aspire to reach that level myself one day.

Arden Cogar Jr. 09-28-2009 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jake oleander (Post 63279)
Im just starting to be able to do this when my legs are fresh (which, since i started the PM WODs, is seldom if at all). For me hanging off the rim requires about 33inches, im 5'10 with short arms though. My vertical numbers have climbed a dramatic 2 inches in the last couple months since I've started training O-lifting.

Arden, you're a beast, you have some serious strength. I aspire to reach that level myself one day.

Jack,
Thanks for the kind words. Lots of years of lots of training like a complete crazy. Started competing in powerlifting at age 14 - stopped at 20 because I didn't want to turn to the dark side. Still "power bodybuilded" (if that's a word) for the next 17 years until my coach introduced me to proper training protocols for someone who wants to be an athlete. I sooo wished I would have started the olympic movements and the programmed style training when I was younger. I could have avoided a lot of injuries and a lot of plateaus. I've made more progress, strength and athletic wise, in the past two years than I did in the prevoius 17. Amazing what smart training can do. Even for old farts.

Keep up the good work. And listen to your body.

All the best,
Arden

Scott Kustes 09-28-2009 01:24 PM

29-30" when tested recently.