Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Olympic Weightlifting (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Technique Development and Tabata workouts (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4736)

Andrew Simonis 10-11-2009 02:33 PM

Technique Development and Tabata workouts

I am revisiting the Technique Development program included in Greg's book because my technique is in serious need of the relearning process. I am wondering if including some short Tabata workouts in the morning or afternoon (opposite the Olympic training) will effect my energy levels and ability to complete the daily Olympic workout.

I am a little out of shape in general, and a little heavy around the waist area. I would like to improve my work capacity before we start the wrestling season so that I can keep up with my athletes on the mat.

I was thinking I would do 4-12 minute tabata workouts about three days a week generally Monday Wednesday Friday, alternating the exercises and time duration. I am most likely going to keep them body weight exercises such as squat, sit-ups, tuck jumps, push ups, ring rows, jumping pull-ups (still working on increasing the amount of pulls and kips I can do.) and a few others....

any suggestions?

Steven Low 10-11-2009 05:57 PM

PMenu workout?

If you want to do "save" anything just do the metabolic work in the workout later.

Proper nutrition to drop the fat....

I'm deleting the other post.

Andrew Simonis 10-13-2009 06:02 AM

The workout from the second edition of Olympic Weightlifting. I was also wondering if the exercise selection for the Tabata might have any effect on the technique learning. I suppose it doesn't i just dont want to screw everything up.

Michael McKenna 10-13-2009 07:15 AM

Do the tabata at the end of the workouts. Leave your recovery time for recovery time.

Steven Low 10-13-2009 09:30 AM

Nope,

But if you're doing the metabolic work AND tabatas it may affect your recovery for subsequent Oly lifting sessions.

Andrew Simonis 10-13-2009 12:24 PM

Im pretty much sticking to the program described in the book. I do the burgener warm up and a lot of range of motion warm up. The Tabat workouts I have started have been the only extra work I have done besides running show team quarter back durring our defensive team segment at freshmen football practice. That can be quite a workout in it self..... I havn't been doing any of the metcons on the website or anything.

Would it better to add intervals or try to get more reps with the exercises? I find it very hard to count the some of the exercises.. especially jumping rope, while I am also watching the clock.

Squats were kind of rough but the jump rope was suprisingly the most difficult yet.

Im adding some grip work as well, but am easing in slowly.

Andrew Wilson 10-13-2009 01:32 PM

I'm doing Coach B's wods and then Tabata Sprints at night on Mon/Thur about 3 hours after the oly, and it's been working out great for me. Almost at that Fran level where you collapse after the run. totalling about 800meters in 8, 20:10 rounds